Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

DAN FEENEY, OG Indiana

For many, the Hoosiers are synonymous with basketball but with Feeney joining former teammate and Green Bay Packers 2016 second-round pick Jason Spriggs as a first-team All-American, football -- and offensive linemen, in particular -- is becoming the new "in" in Indiana.
The Hoosiers' up-tempo scheme presents some questions about how quickly Feeney could transition to a more traditional pro-style attack but scouts are excited about his blend of size, agility and consistency. While helping to pave the way for future NFL standout running backs Tevin Coleman (Atlanta Falcons) and Jordan Howard (Chicago Bears), Feeney allowed just one sack in 37 starts heading into his senior season. His ultimate draft position, however, could be influenced by medical evaluations as Feeney missed a handful of games in 2016 due to a concussion after previously missing the entire 2013 season with a Lisfranc injury.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Four-year starter, with each coming at right guard. Among Feeney's impressive traits is his initial quickness, which allowed him to easily slide laterally for reach blocks and pull. Feeney possesses very good agility for a man with his square-ish frame, showing good flexion in his lower body to adjust to moving targets at the second level. Feeney delivers a powerful jolt to defenders and keeps his feet moving through contact. Feeney has a tenacious playing style which will endear him to OL coaches. He shows good anticipation of where defenders will be and looks to finish his blocks, showing the nastiness to pancake opponents when he feels them off-balance. Voted a team captain for the 2015-16 seasons. Described by the Indiana coaching as possessing an infectious personality and is revered for his commitment and work ethic.
WEAKNESSES: Possesses the agility to handle the left guard role but has only played on the right side for the Hoosiers. Effectiveness in pass protection (only one sack allowed over first 39 starts) is inflated due to Indiana's up-tempo attack, which prioritizes getting the ball out quickly. Can get too high with his initial punch. Requires a careful medical evaluation. Missed four games in 2016 due to a concussion sustained in the second week of the season (Ball State), as well as the entire 2013 season due to a Lisfranc injury, requiring a medical redshirt as a true sophomore.

IN OUR VIEW: Assuming his medical questions are answered, Feeney will be among the first interior offensive linemen drafted. His blend of size, agility and power make him scheme versatile and he plays with the nastiness and technique to quickly ascend to a starting role in the NFL.

COMPARES TO: Xavier Su'a-Filo, Houston Texans: Like Su'a-Filo (who played in an up-tempo scheme at UCLA), Feeney is likely facing a schematic transition in the NFL. The traits - including quickness, agility, power and toughness - are undeniable, warranting top 50 consideration and helping Feeney project as a quality starter, as Su'a-Filo has emerged in his third season at left guard in Houston.

wouldn't Mind trying out Erik Magnuson OT, Michigan as guard in the later rounds eitherERIK MAGNUSON, O

Manusky says they want starters on D from the draft. We need DT and ILB badly. It was also suggested we talked about moving up to #9 in the draft. I think moving up to #9 ahead of NO is a real possibility to get Foster. We then draft a big fat ugly DL in the third. Then again anything could happen haha.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Manusky says they want starters on D from the draft. We need DT and ILB badly. It was also suggested we talked about moving up to #9 in the draft. I think moving up to #9 ahead of NO is a real possibility to get Foster. We then draft a big fat ugly DL in the third. Then again anything could happen haha.

I would puke if we trade up...draft is too good to give up picks.

I've been meaning to look at Caleb Brantley closer, the take below is obviously hyperbole but I see Brantley in the first round quite a bit in mocks though usually in the later portion of it.  If they keep going this route in FA, the desperation level on D line is likely going to be high come draft time. 

Via @LanceZierlien. Does this interest anyone?

Text Shot: NFL Comparison Aaron Donald Bottom Line Powerful, stout defensive tackle with the quickness to play the three-technique and the power to play the nose.

Mike Williams destroyed his pro day today. He is a monster 4.5 guy. I think he will struggle with route running at the pro level. But what a f'n monster that guys is.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been meaning to look at Caleb Brantley closer, the take below is obviously hyperbole but I see Brantley in the first round quite a bit in mocks though usually in the later portion of it.  If they keep going this route in FA, the desperation level on D line is likely going to be high come draft time. 

I am praying he somehow falls to the second for us. Although I will say. If we traded down and took him in the first I wouldnt be pissed about it.

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Mike Williams destroyed his pro day today. He is a monster 4.5 guy. I think he will struggle with route running at the pro level. But what a f'n monster that guys is.

I am praying he somehow falls to the second for us. Although I will say. If we traded down and took him in the first I wouldnt be pissed about it.

Yeah 2nd round seems right.  Hopefully they sign more DL in FA.  If they don't, IMO they are desperate for both a 5 technique guy and a nose.   It would put some pressure on the draft.  My dark horse picks at the moment for #17:  Quincy Wilson, H. Reddick, Jordan Willis.  Maybe Derek Barnett.   Willis and Reddick killed the combine and both can help with the pass rush. Wilson being a big corner helps in a division that now has Marshall and Jeffrey. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-caleb-brantley-di-florida/

Name: Caleb Brantley

School: Florida

Position fit: Defensive tackle (3-technique)

Stats to know: Brantley has had at least 23 pressures and 23 run stops each of the last two seasons.

What he does best:

• Wins with quickness off the snap.
  • Effective at swiping the hands away of the blocker attacking him.
  • Adept at turning his hips to one side or the other to help him quickly get between blockers.
  • Good core flexibility and strength to turn his hips sideways while still moving forward quickly.
  • Strength to toss blockers aside.
  • Diagnoses power run quickly.
  • Can quickly change direction to chase ball-carrier.
  • Quickness can cause havoc on the back-side and front-side of zone runs.
  • Effective club-swim, club-rip, stutter & swipe and counter moves.
  • Wins laterally with athleticism.
  • Quickness makes him effective on stunts.
  • Three-year production on 1,103 snaps is outstanding.

Biggest concern:

• Frequently ends up in the neutral zone because he is trying to time the snap count.
  • Has trouble getting off the block if he loses the initial engagement.
  • Doesn’t show an ability to anchor against double teams and tends to get pushed around.
  • Overaggressiveness can take himself out of plays at times.
  • Doesn’t have the length to play outside or the bulk to play nose tackle.
  • Career-high his 434 snaps in 2015. Can he do it for a full season?

Player comparison: Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

Brantley is a quick penetrating 3-technique defensive tackle who has a similar playing style to Jarrett who has had a strong start to his career both rushing the passer and defending the run.

Bottom line: Brantley is a 3-technique defensive tackle who relies on quickness to penetrate into gaps. He also has the lateral quickness and core flexibility to “get skinny” into gaps and disrupt plays. Brantley’s suddenness off the snap can really make blockers look silly if they get their weight too far in front of them in an effort to engage him early. Brantley’s initial move is to swipe the hands of the blocker in front of him and quickly get around the side of him. He does have an effective spin-counter off the initial hand-swipe move. Brantley largely played the 3-technique defensive tackle position where he is lined up on the guard’s outside shoulder and that is the position he is best suited for in the NFL. Brantley has shown the ability to impact the pass game and therefore will be able to stay on the field for all three downs.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Via @LanceZierlien. Does this interest anyone?

Something has to be done. I don't know if he is the answer, or even part of it. But this is the situation we're in right now

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Five-Takeaways-Greg-Manusky-On-ESPN-980/74914b7f-1a45-4f4c-8f6e-4b82ce101904

"The Redskins have options currently on the roster for nose tackle, too.

'Right now we have [A.J.] Francis, Joey [Mbu] and Phil Tayloricon-article-link.gif, so we have those three guys in the mix to see how that pans out,” Manusky said. “Francis is a big cat that has good hip flexion, his ankle’s he can bend and the same with Joey. Phil Taylor, I don’t know much about him. He was in here for a workout last year and he looked pretty dang good. Jim [Tomsula] does a great job upfront getting those guys to play that nose. All the stuff from the inside, Jimmy is one of the best.”

So, a has been, and 2 guys that never were. Right now, we are so ****ed at NT it's amazing. **** me.

I have zero idea why we even ****ing bother to run a 3-4, or any kind. We just need to scrap the whole ****ing thing, and run a  ****ing 4-3. It's a easier system to find players for. It's schematically better against the run by default.

Especially when we don't even ****ing bother to try and get the most important position of a 3-4, year after ****ing year.

It's like trying to run a Pro style offense with a read option running Quarterba..

****!!!!! We tired that too! But we got the **** away from that and got a QB that breaks team records in passing.....That we won't give a LTD to.

****. At least my wife has a good team. Go Steelers.:kickcan:

@Morneblade That quote from Manusky was taken pretty far out of context considering he basically said the personnel isn't there right now and he's not sure they have a NT. He only talked those guys up after he said "we'll see".

Listening to the interview itself, it was pretty refreshing how honest he was about the personnel. Specifically said we still need to address Dline and Safety. No mention of ILB, which is weird, but it was in the context of FA. They've got Butler in today, so who knows.   

What it sounds like to me, and this is totally my opinion, is that they're foregoing the more BPA approach of Scot and will forcibly draft defense, specifically Dline. I'm not a fan of that approach but, in the end, I don't care. Just hit on the players. In 2014 with the same FO setup as it stands right now, the talk was we'd draft OLB and that's exactly what we did with Trent Murphy. Right now the talk seems to point to Dline, but you could make the argument it's defense in general.     

5 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Listening to the interview itself, it was pretty refreshing how honest he was about the personnel. Specifically said we still need to address Dline and Safety. No mention of ILB, which is weird, but it was in the context of FA. They've got Butler in today, so who knows.   

What it sounds like to me, and this is totally my opinion, is that they're foregoing the more BPA approach of Scot and will forcibly draft defense, specifically Dline. I'm not a fan of that approach but, in the end, I don't care. Just hit on the players. In 2014 with the same FO setup as it stands right now, the talk was we'd draft OLB and that's exactly what we did with Trent Murphy. Right now the talk seems to point to Dline, but you could make the argument it's defense in general.     

yes. I got the same feeling. There is AT LEAST one DL coming in the first 2 rounds in this draft. I wouldnt be shocked if our first 2 picks are DL. Although if a game changing RB is there they may make that  pick.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

@Morneblade That quote from Manusky was taken pretty far out of context considering he basically said the personnel isn't there right now and he's not sure they have a NT. He only talked those guys up after he said "we'll see".

I didnt get to hear the interview, so you're privy to more than I am.

Concerning at the draft approach. The fact there isn't real talent at NT means we're going to reach, and likely fail. Not mentioning ILB is also concerning.

47 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I didnt get to hear the interview, wo you're privy to more than I am.

Concerning at the draft approach. The fact there isn't real talent at NT means we're going to reach, and likely fail. Not mentioning ILB is also concering.

I am really just curious at this point if you have ANYTHING positive AT ALL to say? Your last 200 posts have been whining and crying about the team. You dismiss the direction the team has taken so far in FA. And that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. But you are Completely ignoring the Safety and WR positions to cry about the DL. And now you come in the draft thread and bash the team before the draft has even taken place. What is your agenda exactly?

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah 2nd round seems right.  Hopefully they sign more DL in FA.  If they don't, IMO they are desperate for both a 5 technique guy and a nose.   It would put some pressure on the draft.  My dark horse picks at the moment for #17:  Quincy Wilson, H. Reddick, Jordan Willis.  Maybe Derek Barnett.   Willis and Reddick killed the combine and both can help with the pass rush. Wilson being a big corner helps in a division that now has Marshall and Jeffrey. 

I'm partial to this. He broke Reggie White's sack record in 3 years. Works his butt off. Was sick at the combine, still did everything. Pretty stout against the run as well. But, I can't lie. I was born in Knoxville and I have orange goggles when it comes to UT players.

Speaking of which, Alvin Kumara would be a nice pick up in the middle rounds as a 3 down RB ;)

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am really just curious at this point if you have ANYTHING positive AT ALL to say? Your last 200 posts have been whining and crying about the team. You dismiss the direction the team has taken so far in FA. And that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. But you are Completely ignoring the Safety and WR positions to cry about the DL. And now you come in the draft thread and bash the team before the draft has even taken place. What is your agenda exactly?

I think his points should be self-evident. We had one of the worst DL/ILB combos in the NFL last year, measured by virtually every metric. These units, along with subpar d-coordination, yielded the bottom of the barrel statistical inability to either stop the run, to get off the field on 3rd down, or to limit scores in the redzone. Those 3 failures sabotaged what should have been a successful playoff season. 

So, how have we addressed it so far? Hiring a DC in house (I actually like the hire of Manusky, but when the same braintrust that brought you Joe Barry decide the best successor is already on staff, it bears questioning). We've lost/released our best returning DLs, and have brought in rotational guys to the unit, who have no sustained history of any kind of success or health. The ILB position has yet to be touched, or even mentioned. Those situations are too troubling to ignore, and if left as-is, will lead to another season of our DL/ILBs once again being unable to stop anything when they need to (no ability to stop the run against good teams, no pressure from the DL against even decent OLs). 

We're backing ourselves into having to reach for needs in a draft that doesn't have first round worthy talents at DT/NT. We need the help, but can't afford to bypass elite talent to try to hit on DL just because our cupboard is bare. The last time this happened when Bruce was running a draft, he bypassed great talents like Bitonio to move back and reach for Murphy, because he had backed himself into a corner with needing an OLB due to Orakpo'a franchise tag.

morneblade, and many others are screaming bloody murder because we can't afford to start down this road again. 

Are there people that still take the "have faith" approach? Granted we should have faith but I would never knock someone who is cautious/negative about this team and its decision making. Just look at their history.

We do an awful job of drafting. We hit once in a while but strike out considerably. If we were better at evaluating talent, we'd actually have talent on the team.

They are good at drafting bench players, JAGS, etc, but how many blue chip players have we drafted? Reed, Cousins and Trent? For a team that sucks more often then not, and usually poised to have higher draft picks we should have better players. 

We dont because these guys can't draft, or develop talent much. At least not till very recently. I hope that trend continues but yea I'm very cautious. 

Im sure the RG3 trade will be brought up and us losing 2 1st rounders but eh, they would have just drafted more "guys" with those picks. We need them to hit homeruns and do it fast.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I don't think anything he has said has been out of line. Why wouldn't he post negativity, have you been paying attention to this team in the last two months? Our biggest priority outside of Cousins this offseason has been band-aided up by two overpriced bodies that have done very little in their careers. I think we've made a couple good moves, but I don't blame ANYONE for unleashing hatred towards this pathetic organization. 

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

I think his points should be self-evident. We had one of the worst DL/ILB combos in the NFL last year, measured by virtually every metric. These units, along with subpar d-coordination, yielded the bottom of the barrel statistical inability to either stop the run, to get off the field on 3rd down, or to limit scores in the redzone. Those 3 failures sabotaged what should have been a successful playoff season. 

So, how have we addressed it so far? Hiring a DC in house (I actually like the hire of Manusky, but when the same braintrust that brought you Joe Barry decide the best successor is already on staff, it bears questioning). We've lost/released our best returning DLs, and have brought in rotational guys to the unit, who have no sustained history of any kind of success or health. The ILB position has yet to be touched, or even mentioned. Those situations are too troubling to ignore, and if left as-is, will lead to another season of our DL/ILBs once again being unable to stop anything when they need to (no ability to stop the run against good teams, no pressure from the DL against even decent OLs). 

We're backing ourselves into having to reach for needs in a draft that doesn't have first round worthy talents at DT/NT. We need the help, but can't afford to bypass elite talent to try to hit on DL just because our cupboard is bare. The last time this happened when Bruce was running a draft, he bypassed great talents like Bitonio to move back and reach for Murphy, because he had backed himself into a corner with needing an OLB due to Orakpo'a franchise tag.

morneblade, and many others are screaming bloody murder because we can't afford to start down this road again. 

53 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I don't think anything he has said has been out of line. Why wouldn't he post negativity, have you been paying attention to this team in the last two months? Our biggest priority outside of Cousins this offseason has been band-aided up by two overpriced bodies that have done very little in their careers. I think we've made a couple good moves, but I don't blame ANYONE for unleashing hatred towards this pathetic organization. 

I've been positive about the Pryor signing, positive that Kirk needs to be signed to a LTD, and I think it WILL get done, liked the Swearinger signing. Positive on the Manusky hire. Positive on the promotion of M. Cavanaugh to OC.

Negative about the GMSM firing, not resigning Baker and not getting a dominate NT. Negative about bringing guys in that were not as good as what we had in a position of need. The interview with Manusky seems to say they will approach the draft to plug holes, not build the team. I consider that a negative as well.

Neutral on letting DJax and Garcon being gone, because I'm ok with Pryor and hopeful in Doctson. Neutral on getting a ILB or 2 in the draft, because I think there is enough talent in the draft that can help us.

And not responding to clskinsfan because he's been ignored, because: reasons.

Did I miss anything?:drooley:

Edit: I like Fat Rob. I think he's good enough, especially if we upgrade LG some. I think he could be a 1300 yard/10 TD guy, if we commit to him.

Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, looks pretty intriguing to me. Haven't really looked at DL, but been reading up and I see a nice 4th/5th round pick up here. Two down guy maybe, switch McGee back inside on third downs. Age may be a negative but could live with that.

Any of you guys watched this bloke play and have any opinions on him?

I don't worry to much about getting a nose tackle. We just want a big body to start there on early downs because we will run more hybrid athletic tackle on passing downs. 

Last week I took a look at does kind of guys and you see that in last four years they in general get drafted between round 3 en 6. Biggest reason for that is that they are limited players. 

9 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah as for NT as I posted this in the FA thread he said that guy is likely not on the roster so he's probably looking in the draft for it.  He thought McGee and McClain would be defensive ends not NT.  Didn't seem like he closed the door to more action in free agency but he gave the vibe to me they will take D lineman in this draft. 

As for MLB depending on the beat reporter, people seem to be a mixed bag on what they seem to think they will do.  But I get the impression that there is a chance they are satisfied with Compton and Foster and believe they would benefit from a better line in front of them.  Clearly they weren't satisfied with safety.  Considering the signing of Swearinger, bringing D. Hall back and talking to Butler.

I know Scot was studying D line heavily as far back as November so I gather they will go to town on that position in the draft.  

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I'm partial to this. He broke Reggie White's sack record in 3 years. Works his butt off. Was sick at the combine, still did everything. Pretty stout against the run as well. But, I can't lie. I was born in Knoxville and I have orange goggles when it comes to UT players.

Speaking of which, Alvin Kumara would be a nice pick up in the middle rounds as a 3 down RB ;)

Barnett might be available at #17.  He's not overly athletic it seems but he knows how to get to the QB.  He's a big boy for a 3-4 end so wonder if they can move him to play 5 technique on obvious passing down.  Manusky at least rhetoric wise is obsessive about pressure.  If FA stops with what we have now.  They need IMO like I said a 5 technique guy who can bring some heat and a nose.  Barnett might not fill that void completely as a 5 technique guy because he doesn't have the build to play that full time but arguably he'd fill the void in obvious passing downs. 

Right now if I am guessing who they pick is among:    Q. Wilson, Reddick, Brantley, Mcdowell, Barnett

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Barnett might be available at #17.  He's not overly athletic it seems but he knows how to get to the QB.  He's a big boy for a 3-4 end so wonder if they can move him to play 5 technique on obvious passing down.  Manusky at least rhetoric wise is obsessive about pressure.  If FA stops with what we have now.  They need IMO like I said a 5 technique guy who can bring some heat and a nose.  Barnett might not fill that void completely as a 5 technique guy because he doesn't have the build to play that full time but arguably he'd fill the void in obvious passing downs. 

Right now if I am guessing who they pick is among:    Q. Wilson, Reddick, Brantley, Mcdowell, Barnett

I really like Barnett a lot. I think he is one of the best pure pass rushers in this draft. The thing is where do you play him? He had a virus at the combine and came in under 260 pounds. Too small for a 3-4 DE and too slow for a LB, His 3 cone drill was excellent so he can move around in tight areas well. I think you try to bulk him up a little bit and make him an every down DE. 

And I really hope we pass on Mcdowell. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, he played in a 4-3 in college, I really don't think that would be an issue here. He's not huge, but he's very strong, and loves contact. Where I think he will have issues is in space, not rushing the QB. I think he is definitely a 5 tech in passing situations. However, having him in any coverage, especially man to man, might be a disaster.

NFL.com

NFL Comparison

Nick Perry

Bottom Line

Strong edge presence with NFL-caliber hand usage and play strength. Barnett is one of the most productive defensive linemen to come out of the SEC in quite some time despite lacking the length and twitch that teams usually look for off the edge. His awareness and play traits should keep him near the action and he has the talent to step into a starting base end spot right away. There could be coordinators who view him as an early down, outside backer in a 3-4 with the ability to put his hand in the ground on sub packages.

Archived