Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do you believe on the Redskins roster could be a future Hall of Famer?

98ORAKPO98

The Redskins have some very good players on the roster but who do you believe has a shot at the HOF? I could see Preston Smith, Su'a Cravens, Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed, Trent Williams, and Brandon Scherff getting in one day. Josh Norman waited too long to break out.

DeSean Jackson in my opinion should have a shot, although it's doubtful he'll get there.  Trent absolutely, Jordan has potential.  Who knows, maybe Kirk will blossom in front of us and continue down an unbelievable career as he goes forward.  Some of those rooks haven't played a down yet though, slightly premature to have them mentioned, don't ya think?

If I were to bet, this list starts and ends with Trent Williams. He is the only one who has shown continued dominance over several seasons.

Deangelo hall also has a chance but he needs to age really gracefully in our secondary and our defense has to become very good so that he can pad his stats and get some of the recognition.

Other than that we have some hopefuls on the roster that need to breakout even more than they have and maintain that level of play for a decade. Jordan reed, cousins, and breeland come to mind.

Preston smith and Scherff have shown promise but haven't shown anything remotely HOF worthy.

The rookies have to succeed in the NFL before we start mentioning them.

Trent Williams - Continue dominating as he has been.

Desean Jackson - He needs to become a Santana Moss type (but better)/Steve Smith Type in his 30's to get consideration

Deangelo Hall - He needs to be a STUD safety with a few pro bowls there.

Josh Norman - Have last year for 2-3 more years.

Ryan Kerrigan - Have at least 5 more years of his production without dropping off

The only one close right now is Trent Williams, but even he has room to get better. He still has those 1 or 2 WTF games per year where he gets abused by a lesser player.

If Reed plays like he did last year for the next 5+ years he'll have a shot.

The Redskins have some very good players on the roster but who do you believe has a shot at the HOF? I could see Preston Smith, Su'a Cravens, Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed, Trent Williams, and Brandon Scherff getting in one day. Josh Norman waited too long to break out.

The odds are really high against any player for making the HOF.  Of the young players you listed, they all have the talent to be HOFers, but it takes a great career to go along with the potential and talent.  Very few players who have the talent actually get there.  Another thing that would help players get to the HOF would be their teams winning Super Bowls.  While that shouldn't be a determining factor, but in reality it is.  Here is my take of some Skins players:

Trent Williams--probably has the best shot of any current Redskin, and he would really be helped if the Skins get into SBs.

DeAngelo Hall--no chance.  He was a good CB, but not a great one.  At his age, he won't have enough years left at safety to change his status.

Ryan Kerrigan--a slim chance.  He would have to increase his pass rush production and do so for at least 6-7 years more--a tough thing to accomplish.

Josh Norman--a decent chance.  He blossomed late, but he still has time if he can play at the level he did in 2015 for 6-7 more years.

Jordan Reed--a decent chance.  He has to stay healthy (won't be easy for him to do so) and duplicate his 2015 production for 6-7 more years.

Kirk Cousins--so-so chance.  He has to play like he did in 2015 for 9-10 more seasons.  But, because he plays QB, he will have enough years left to do so.

DeSean Jackson--no chance.  He has always been a good deep threat, but very few people regard him to be among the best few WRs even in his prime.  And, his personality won't endear him to the voters either.

Pierre Garcon--no chance.  He is a good WR, but no one regards him to be HOF material.

Bashaud Breeland--my dark house.  I have seen enough of Breeland to regard him to be talented enough.  And, he is certainly young enough to have the time to piece together a string of great seasons.  But, he could always be in the shadow of Josh Norman if he stays with the Redskins, and that could certainly hurt his chances. 

Bashaud Breeland--my dark house.  I have seen enough of Breeland to regard him to be talented enough.  And, he is certainly young enough to have the time to piece together a string of great seasons.  But, he could always be in the shadow of Josh Norman if he stays with the Redskins, and that could certainly hurt his chances. 

You could also argue that playing with Norman could help his chances.  If Breeland is the #2 CB for a few years, it could be a chance for him to perfect his game against #2 WRs and possibly pad his stats (INTs and breakups) before opposing teams realize they need to stay away from his side of the field.  It would be great to see him have a HoF type of career.

Preston Smith will end his career as the most decorated defensive player in NFL history. 15 x pro bowler, 8 x first team all pro, 3 x second team all pro. 5 x defensive player of the year, 1 x MVP, 205 sacks, 60 forced fumbles, 25 fumble recoveries, 13 interceptions, 100 passes defensed, 100 stuffs, 12 blocked kicks, 7 defensive touchdowns, 6 super bowl rings. Smith has everything needed to be a superstar, determination, drive, discipline, hunger, speed, strength, length, awareness, pass rushing moves, versatility, etc.

Cravens could have a similar impact during his career as well.

Williams and Reed if he can have about 7 more seasons like last year. There is absolutely no chance Deangelo Hall ever even sees a ballot.

Preston Smith will end his career as the most decorated defensive player in NFL history. 15 x pro bowler, 8 x first team all pro, 3 x second team all pro. 5 x defensive player of the year, 1 x MVP, 205 sacks, 60 forced fumbles, 25 fumble recoveries, 13 interceptions, 100 passes defensed, 100 stuffs, 12 blocked kicks, 7 defensive touchdowns, 6 super bowl rings. Smith has everything needed to be a superstar, determination, drive, discipline, hunger, speed, strength, length, awareness, pass rushing moves, versatility, etc.

Whoah! That's pretty high praise and you're not one to heap superlatives on Redskins OLBs either

Williams and Reed if he can have about 7 more seasons like last year. There is absolutely no chance Deangelo Hall ever even sees a ballot.Whoah! That's pretty high praise and you're not one to heap superlatives on Redskins OLBs either

I try to stay pretty even keel with my superlatives. :)

Given how difficult it is for OL to get in, I don't see it for Trent Williams, despite what is likely to be a terrific career.

IF he stays healthy, Jordan Reed will be a HOFer....IF. I genuinely believe he is that great.

If the second half of last season marks a trend, it's possible Preston Smith may be an elite pass rusher, but don't break out the anointing oil just yet. It would be great if he has a better career than Leonard Williams, in the same way Cooley ended up far better than KW2.

Right now, as of today, Trent Williams. I love the love that both Smith and Cravens are getting, but let's not crown them kings yet, they still have a long journey to go. So I'm only putting Trent Williams here, but you have to be a stud for your whole career not a one or two year wonder on a team to be HoF worthy.

Players who may have an opportunity if they keep on:

- Ryan Kerrigan, he's often underrated, but guy is better than most thinks.

- DeAngelo Hall, if he successfully makes the transition to FS.

- Josh Norman, you're not in the mix of being the best CB of your era without being worthy of HoF consideration.

- Jordan Reed, guy has potential, but he's often injured. And that's a problem, HoF guys are on the field, not on the injured reserve to me.

- Kirk Cousins, still a long way to go, because his early career was the one of a backup, but the door still isn't shut.

Also I would had two names if things go well for us:

- Scott McCloughan. You don't build 3 SB teams and perennial contenders without being worthy of HoF consideration.

- Jay Gruden. If he gets us back to the promised land with a SB or two, he'll be amongst the like of Joe Gibbs. Guy already have a great pedigree in the Arena Football, and made some huge work with Andy Dalton. If he gets a SB Trophy with us, he'll be worthy of HoF.

Smith had 8 sacks in 5 games, from 3 different positions.

That was after his light came on.

If he can somehow do that for his career, he's someone who takes over games, dictates what an offense can do and then eventually goes first ballot.

He said this is his first offseason really training and studying.

He could really be special.

You could also argue that playing with Norman could help his chances.  If Breeland is the #2 CB for a few years, it could be a chance for him to perfect his game against #2 WRs and possibly pad his stats (INTs and breakups) before opposing teams realize they need to stay away from his side of the field.  It would be great to see him have a HoF type of career.

Yes, being #2 may help Breeland pad his stats.  But, HOF voters will likely reward the #1 (Norman) first.  And, it is really rare to have two CBs from the same team in the HOF.  In fact, I am not sure if that has ever happened. 

Cravens could have a similar impact during his career as well.

Hey, don't be shy and don't hold back.  Tell us what you really think of Preston Smith and Sua Cravens.

Kidding aside, both of those players look to have the talent to be elite.  But, it is long way from having elite talent and actually having a HOF career.

Archived