Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do you believe on the Redskins roster could be a future Hall of Famer?

98ORAKPO98

Golston,,,,,,now stop, he made it this far, Imma I right?

That's awesome. Last year, I was saying that our line was obviously not going to be any good, because he was still on the roster. Yet here we are 10 years later and he might even be a starter. ols

Good for him.

Joe Jacoby has 3 rings, was named to the all-decade team for the 80s, blocked the way for 2 different RBs to break the SB rushing record....and he's not in.

I LOVE Trent Williams, but his chances are not good, despite what certainly looks like it will be a great career.

you guys think its just so easy getting to the HOF.  Trent is the only one remotely on this team that has a chance.  Jordan Reed would need 8-10 more season like last year to be considered 

I guess no need to specify that you meant "Williams" and not "Murphy".  With the latter, the issue is whether he would make the final roster.

Honestly, Trent has the chance. He's been very good. You have to be a beast of a LT to get in the Hall, though. Chris Samuels is still waiting, and I think he deserves serious consideration.

If Kerrigan improves, he might have a shot. Norman needs to have 4 or 5 more stellar seasons; he's not close yet.

Our team is young, and we have a solid core, but not a lot of HoF candidates yet.

I think some people here sell Desean very short.  He has 3 major ingredients going for him, and then 2 things working against him right this second. 

3 things going for him 

1. The stats - his stats look very good for somebody in his age bracket assuming he maintains longevity necessary.  The only 2 guys that look HOF worthy from his class and up to 2 years prior are Megatron (just a matter of time) and Brandon Marshall (surprisingly great stats).  If desean became a football lifer like Steve Smith,  he might have a shot.

2. He has iconic big plays at a position that needs them.  Not to a lynn swann level, but he's had enough 60 yard receptions and the punt return against the Giants that give him that factor.

3. He's a recognizable player.  Many people know who Desean Jackson is, who aren't even sports fans.  

The 2 things against him

1 - Seasons like last year.  I think if injuries weren't a factor, he has the innate Darrell Green type speed that will stay with him until he's 40.  He has effortless speed that as long as he can keep his legs healthy, will make him the big play threat for as long as he wants.  But, the year before, he had 1,100+ yards with 3 different QBs.  He's the matchup problem, he's not the beneficiary of the QB like some other WR's have to be.  If he was with a HOF/Elite QB, his stats would be absurd.

2 - Plays on the redskins. If he were on a media darling team, because of his name recognition, he would have an even larger profile.  Also, being on a media darling team ties in with the general "elite QB" thing, since right this second most of the media darlings have long tenured and highly productive QBs.

---------- 

I'm not saying he will be a HOFer if I were betting on it, but if he played as long as Steve Smith, in an ever increasingly offensive oriented league, his style of play and means of production will keep him catching 50 yard bombs until someone missiles into his legs which hopefully won't happen.

There are much better WR's than Desean on the "waiting list", so to speak, and many more good ones will join it before he retires. His number are nowhere near good enough. He's possibly the best deep threat the NFL has seen since he was drafted, but great role players don't make the hall for being the best at one thing, not winning SB's or compiling any type of playoff resume (not his fault of course, but it matters).

Desean has a 0% shot at the HOF just based on the strength of his competition in the next dozen years, where older WR's who were better than him are ahead of him and younger WR's who are better than him continue to compile better resumes that will eventually put them ahead of him.

He's great at one thing that is very valuable. But he's not liked by the media, he doesn't have the playoff experience, he doesn't have the volume stats, and frankly he's just not good enough all around.

Just enjoy him for what he is and hope he helps us win something of significance. Because he has no shot at the HOF in this era of stud WR's and crazy receiving numbers. And that's not even addressing the already retired players at WR that have been waiting for a while.

Several good to really good players on the squad for sure, but none that I can see at this point trending towards a HOF career. So I guess my true answer sadly is Zero. Maybe someone we haven't seen a whole lot of yet ie Preston Smith, Josh Doctson? time will tell.  I think A lot more winning is necessary for more serious nods/consideration. 

Is it okay to be honest and critical for once?

Desean Jackson is not a HOF worthy player and that is not even close to being questioned.

That man's been in the league since 2008 and played two full seasons only. Besides him being injury prone he disappears too much in games, one game he might blow up for 5 catches 130 receiving yards and the next game he might have 2 catches for 30 yards. HOF worthy players do not have stats like that as often as he has done that. He's great but incredibly inconsistent.

Now to the question at hand...who is a HOF worthy player on this team? No one. Maybe if this group wins a Superbowl then that may change but as much as I love Silverback 1 All Pro 2nd team vote after 6 years in the league isn't HOF worthy.

To me HOF worthy is the top 10 players at the position of all time. At least it should be

The Pro Bowl is irrelevant. He ayed the best football I've ever seen him play, here or Atl in 2013, but he didn't make it. Shame he couldn't co tinue that level of play, and eventually hurt himself.

I don't disagree with you, but its all about media perception. That's all the HOF really is, some formula of production/playoff success/SB's/media perception. The less you have of one, the more you need of the others. Desean doesn't measure up in any category unfortunately, despite being the best deep threat in recent memory. Its just not enough.

I don't disagree with you, but its all about media perception. That's all the HOF really is, some formula of production/playoff success/SB's/media perception. The less you have of one, the more you need of the others. Desean doesn't measure up in any category unfortunately, despite being the best deep threat in recent memory. Its just not enough.

I could be wrong but I believe Mr.S was referring to D. Hall.

(before I start, I want to acknowledge that Desean being a HOFer is nearly impossible so don't mistake my follow up post as if I'm doubling down - I get it that I was essentially "wrong" to even make the case lol)

My point about Desean was that if he essentially mimics the second half of Steve Smith's career he could be a HOFer, not that he's on the current trajectory to do so based on his stats thus far, which is obvious.  It's a tall order and I still think he's a no, but the reason why I think he has potential, in particular, to mimic Steve Smith is that despite being a smaller WR, he's tough (not as tough as him of course), but also has natural effortless speed (darrell green like - but again - not that degree either) that "normal" WRs (and corners) maximize over time through strength and training that starts to dissipate in their early 30s.  I think Desean will still be blazing fast at 40 years old.  Steve Smith essentially doubled his stats from his age 29 season, so if Desean did the same thing, that gets him above 15k reception yards and the only person that isn't a lock in that stratosphere is Isaac Bruce.   

Meaning - he might still be putting up 1,000 yard seasons if his body holds up far longer than the average "good" WR  due to his elite athleticism- that's all - but it is indeed something that would make him unique and special if he were to continue doing something like that.  That requires health and longevity, both things incredibly difficult to assume, which is why I'm not assuming it.  He may stop playing in 3 years and do other stuff too.  He might only get 600 yards this year and have his legs get snapped in half and end up on the jaguars for the rest of his playing days.

I also just wanted to make the case for him having a chance due to seniority on our team. I think he's the oldest player on the team that has the theory of a shot.  Someone like D Hall could win 3 superbowls in a row and still not make it in at this point.

And just like everyone else, the person with the greatest credentials on the current trajectory is clearly Trent Williams, but when you compare his credentials with someone like Joe Thomas it's hard to see him getting to that level either (although he has the talent to do it, just not 10+ years in a row)

WAY TOO EARLY TO mention Preston Smith, Scherff, Doctson and Cravens it's way too early to tell.  lol.   The only other player who could get consideration, in my mind is Trent Williams.  I don't see Kerrigan having top production for enough years to warrant HOF.

Archived