Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: World War II Memorial Not a Swimming Pool aka America Grows Closer to Idiocracy

Springfield

http://www.nbcwashington.com/the-scene/events/World-War-II-Memorial-Not-a-Swimming-Pool-97886789.html

In today's version of "why the **** is this even a story", people are reminded that you can't swim in a war memorial. Because, as the above article states, the people of this glorious country just trounce all over their precious memorials when it suits their fancy. As you guessed, no subject is more important than "me".

While we are talking about the WWII memorial, I cannot express how disappointed I was with it

The Vietnam memorial and to a lesser extent the Korean War memorial are highly emotional. You can't help but get choked up when you see all those names of those young men.. And the random artifacts left at the base. Both war memorials are a cautionary symbol of the horrors of war and pay great respect to those who fought and died

Then there's the wwii memorial. It felt like the winning entry from an eighth grade national design contest. Symmetrical and pillars surrounding a fountain. I thought we defeated the third reich, I didn't know their architects would be designing our memorials. Seriously I've seen better efforts from North Korea.

I was ashamed for our country that they awarded the veterans from the greatest war that uninspiring turd. Sad.

I sat on Albert Einstein's lap across Constitution Avenue from the Vietnam Memorial.  It's bronze, but he seems so cuddly. 

the-art-of-genius-01.jpg

I hope that wasn't disrespectful.

(Obviously that's a different scenario than a memorial honoring war dead.  People wading there are insensitive and unaware, IMO, even if they are not being intentionally disrespectful.  It's tough for visitors to be contemplative and somber when you have yahoos splashing around just a few yards away.  Fortunately the National Park Service rangers do a pretty good job of taking firm, understated corrective action.)

The Einstein statue is another eyesore. I know he isn't the best looking dude, but the statue would make you think they are honoring the homeless and not one of the intellectual heavyweights in human history.

They made him look kinda like a hobbit.

When I visited the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, the two people in front of me (non-American), took a selfie in front of the bookcase her family hid behind for 2+ years. I wasn't even offended so much as surprised- who would you even show that to?

To relate this back to the OP: People are stupid sometimes.

People aren't going to respect things if they aren't taught to respect things....I wouldn't let me kids play in the memorial and I would make them read about the memorial to learn what it symbolizes.  Then I would talk to them about respect...but that is just me.

The "Selfie (it is all about my own gratification and me) Generation" strikes again. I always knew all of those "Participation Trophies" they received as a kid would ruin things. ;) 

While we are talking about the WWII memorial, I cannot express how disappointed I was with it

The Vietnam memorial and to a lesser extent the Korean War memorial are highly emotional. You can't help but get choked up when you see all those names of those young men.. And the random artifacts left at the base. Both war memorials are a cautionary symbol of the horrors of war and pay great respect to those who fought and died

Then there's the wwii memorial. It felt like the winning entry from an eighth grade national design contest. Symmetrical and pillars surrounding a fountain. I thought we defeated the third reich, I didn't know their architects would be designing our memorials. Seriously I've seen better efforts from North Korea.

I was ashamed for our country that they awarded the veterans from the greatest war that uninspiring turd. Sad.

That was such a weird process and weird choice and everything was wrong. I hate where it is located. I hate the design. I hate the insipid quotes on the wall.

Granted, I have no other solution. But I hate it.

I think the fundamental problem was that it took us fifty-some years to build the damn thing.

Archived