Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Something that hasn't been discussed much is how the same GOPers who defended Kim Davis a few months back on the idea of religious freedom are now the same people who want to deny entry to the US for refugees primarily based on their religion.

I guess, currently the idea of freedom of religion for the powers that be in the GOP only apply for Christians and some Jews?

Are you just now figuring this out?

It's been that way for decades.

To be fair, a Democrat brought up the Japanese internment camps as supposedly being a good example of what should be done.  Also polls seem to indicate that unfortunately quite a lot of the country is in agreement with the GOP on the refugee issue right now.  I assume that will change as (if) things calm down a bit though.  

It's funny because none of the Paris attackers so far have been from Syria. This is all coming from them finding a fake Syrian Passport on one of them. Most of them were Belgium or French nationals.

I don't now, so many GoP elected officials in so many different places are making statements of overt bigotry that can not be walked back or spun. Eventually people are going to calm down. And you've got generations of the electorate that were already suspicious of the GoP getting to witness the GoP show its racist ass in the shrillest of ways. This is going to be remembered as the GoP's insane moment where they wanted to bring back the days of Japanese internment camps and McCarthyism. Ugly, craven nativism is not acceptable to a majority of the electorate any more. The country is soooo much more diverse now.

I suspect I have seen a lot more elections than you have.  I think you are way too optimistic.

It was only a few years ago that California voters passed Prop 8, banning gay marriage.   California!   All it took was some Mormon Church money and some good tv ads and slogans, and some appealing to cultural fears and resentments.  

Find the right triggers, and you can get the absolute worst out of the voting public.   Let's try it right now.  

Those guys over there are Washington bureaucrats in favor of allowing you and your children to be blown to pieces by scary, swarthy foreigners, raising your taxes, and spending that money on giveaways to the same swarthy foreigners that hate America and Christians and want to blow you up.  

We guys over here are local fellows just like you, in favor of common sense solutions like protecting you from dangerous crazy foreigners and spending tax money on real Americans.

Who gets the vote?   

Edited by Predicto

Who gets the vote?   

I think you overestimate the gullibility of a large chunk of the voter block, especially the young and minority voters. The GOP spear campaign has been demolished two national elections in a row, even after it pulled out all the fear mongering tricks it could in 2012. They will mobilize again for 2016 after hearing the GOP go full blown dumbass like they are right now.

Unfortunately that part of the voter block also consistently fails to vote in midterm elections but come time for national elections, they'll be a significant force again.

Edited by No Excuses

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-syrian-refugees-indiana-20151118-story.html

Syrian family rejected by Indiana welcomed in Connecticut

A Syrian family that fled the war-torn country in 2011 was welcomed Wednesday to its new home in Connecticut after Indiana officials objected to plans for the refugees to resettle in their state.

The married couple and their 5-year-old son had been living as refugees in Jordan and been waiting three years to resettle in the United States.

They were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis Thursday but were diverted when Gov. Mike Pence ordered state agencies to halt resettlement activities after the deadly attacks in Paris.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he personally greeted the family upon their arrival Wednesday in New Haven.

"I have to say they were absolutely wonderful and charming folks," Malloy said at a news conference. "I told them that people in the United States are generous and good people but sometimes things happen elsewhere that cause people to forget about their generosity, forget about their native warmth and spirit."

The Indiana Family and Social Services Administration sent letters Tuesday to Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc. in Indianapolis and Catholic Charities Indianapolis saying plans to accept two Syrian families should be halted.

Carleen Miller, Exodus Refugee's executive director, said she doesn't believe the state has the power to stop the resettlements but thought she had no choice but to find another place for the refugees to live with their arrival imminent.

"I did not want this family to be put through any more scrutiny or drama," she said. "Would I have wanted to have more time to push back and say that this is not constitutional, that refugees can go to any state that they want because they're admitted to the U.S., not into a state? Yes. But this was a really urgent situation and I needed to make a decision on behalf of the families."

Pence, a Republican, said Tuesday he believes states can stop refugees from relocating and that it was appropriate to do so after reports that a Syrian refugee was part of that attack.

"We're very confident that we have the legal authority to suspend the resettlement program relative to Syrian refugees in the state of Indiana and I think it is the proper course," he said.

The second family, which has children ages 2 and 1, is scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis on Dec. 10 and be placed by Catholic Charities Indianapolis. Heidi Smith, director of refugee services for Catholic Charities Indianapolis, said the organization is waiting for guidance from the State Department and the national organizations that oversees the program, including the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Edited by visionary

I'd probably consider myself more Republican than Democrat.  I think Trump is an idiot however, but think Obama has struggled mightily in some areas, but don't see him as the anti-Christ, and certainly don't blame him for all of American societal ills.  So...I think both parties kind of suck right now, but I am definitely more conservative than most on here probably.

All that being said...the Syrian refugees are EXACTLY the refugees we should be accepting as part of our country's immigration plan.  To turn them away is un-American, IMHO.  I'm actually ashamed/embarrassed that so many leaders are proposing this so publicly.  We can't fix our immigration mess for years, yet now we're going to block one group of people?  Ignorant.

New Haven is WAY nicer than Indiana anyway!  Maybe they could join the Yale protests?  I kid...

• Like 4

Perhaps many Americans have forgotten that this nation was founded by immigrants who left bad situations to seek a better future.

We need to welcome refugees with open arms and allow a path to citizenship. By doing so we will gain a large populace of people who respect and cherish what was done for them when they were in a time of need. We do need to vet refugees but a year long process or more is absolutely absurd. 

Will there be terrorist incidents in the future from allowing many refugees into the states? it is probable and in my opinion, likely, but that doesnt mean we should cower in fear over the probability of something bad happening when there is so much good that can be done in the meantime. 

I disagree with the majority of posters on this board on most political issues, but i feel this issue is one that Americans from far left to far right should agree upon. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

Just when you want to think the worst of people in this country, this Texas Mom and her little kid do something so right. We could all learn a lesson from this kid and his Mom.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-boy-donates-money-piggy-bank-mosque-vandalized/story?id=35291105

ht_mosque_01_lb_151118_31x13_1600.jpg

A 7-year-old boy recently donated all the money in his piggy bank to a Texas mosque that was vandalized in what police are saying is a hate crime, an official from the house of worship said.

The Islamic Center of Pflugerville was hit by a vandal who left torn pages of the Koran smeared with feces outside the entrance, police said. The vandalism was found early Monday morning by a congregant.

The young donor, Jack Swanson, went to the mosque that afternoon and handed over his money -- $20 that had originally been collected in the form of pennies over time, according to Faisal Naeem, one of the mosque's board members.

"Jack's $20 are worth $20 million to us because it's the thought that counts," Naeem told ABC News today. "Jack is just a little older than my son, Ibrahim. If we have more kind-hearted kids like them in the world, I have hope for our future."

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Something that hasn't been discussed much is how the same GOPers who defended Kim Davis a few months back on the idea of religious freedom are now the same people who want to deny entry to the US for refugees primarily based on their religion.

I guess, currently the idea of freedom of religion for the powers that be in the GOP only apply for Christians and some Jews?

I think it's pretty much any religion that's not affiliated with cutting off heads and blowing stuff up in populated places..

I think it's pretty much any religion that's not affiliated with cutting off heads and blowing stuff up in populated places..

So no to Catholicism I guess. And no whatever Christian Identity movement Eric Rudolph associated himself with when he blew up abortion clinics and tried to bomb the Atlanta Olympics? What's left? The religion from the church of the flying spaghetti monster? Awesome. Get on board GOP. 

Just when you want to think the worst of people in this country, this Texas Mom and her little kid do something so right. We could all learn a lesson from this kid and his Mom.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-boy-donates-money-piggy-bank-mosque-vandalized/story?id=35291105

Kid should have trolled him and at the last minute, swtiched the $20 bill for a tract from Jack Chick. He would have been a hero with the GoP and their media.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

Didn't the Dems just vote against bringing the Syrian refugees aboard as well?

Yep.   Have you ever heard of political cowardice?   You are seeing a full blown case of it right here.

They don't want this mob turned on them.  

I'm going to respond when I get home, but I think you're over-estimating the impact that typical campaign chicanery can have now in a big election like a presidential election.

I hope you are right.   I really do.  

It may not decide the presidency, but xenophobic hysteria could have a major impact in House and Senate races.

Again I ask what you are basing that opinion on?

2008 is a pretty good example. 2012 even better. 

The voting block that shows up in national elections has soundly rejected right wing hysteria. But it works great in midterm elections.

Edited by No Excuses

2008 is a pretty good example. 2012 even better.

The voting block that shows up in national elections has soundly rejected right wing hysteria. But it works great in midterm elections.[/quote

The Dems haven't won an election in any year without Obama on the ticket in a decade. I just don't see how people continue to claim the GOP is in trouble. If Hillary gets Obamas turnout, then I think that view can be justified. But until that happens, it simply hasn't

• Like 1

Well there is the notion that young voters (those under 40..ok that's just a made up age) only turn out at the National Elections every 4 years. And those voters are heavily skewed to Democrat.

So young urban liberals not showing up at every election every 2 years while older GOP voters do...keeps the local races a little more Red and the National elections a little more blue. 

Well there is the notion that young voters (those under 40..ok that's just a made up age) only turn out at the National Elections every 4 years. And those voters are heavily skewed to Democrat.

So young urban liberals not showing up at every election every 2 years while older GOP voters do...keeps the local races a little more Red and the National elections a little more blue.

But again that's ONLY been true with Obama on the ticket. Kerry counted on the youth vote. As did Gore. And it didn't show up.

If anything, Trump (and I still don't believe he will win) has a better chance of getting the cult of personality voters this time. Which probably explains why he is beating Hillary in so many state polls. Including those won by Obama

Pope Francis: "Jesus was a refugee" http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5508721

Pope should stay the hell out of politics in an election year amiright?

How many is Vatican City taking ? (It's a joke people)

• Like 1