Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

If we're only talking a few thousand then I think it's a bit more settling for some, me at least. If we're talking about hundreds of thousands like europe, turkey, germany, etc. Then we're going to hit larger issues with higher risks for a number of things

It's been 10,000 for awhile now. Since 2012, we've taken in 2,144 total Syrian refugees.

Here's a comparison of what we're doing and what the rest of the world is doing: These charts put the US response to Syrian refugees in context: it's pitifully small

• Like 1

Melting pot? Is that what you are claiming is the Dem/left position? Really? Are you forgetting your and your parties position on Identity politics which is diametrically opposed to the idea of a Melting pot? I'm all for a Melting pot which is why I will never vote for democrat as long as I live.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 2

Perhaps the gov't should introduce a program where as those that aren't opposed to bringing the immigrants? What would that be?

Allowing people to open their homes to the refugees and funding it accordingly.

I wonder how many of these folks would do just that? My money is on them singing a different tune and not being so welcoming.

I would gladly take a family in. It would be tight for sure and we would have to convert my study into a bedroom, but yeah, I'd do it for folks fleeing ISIS.

Oh they care, but only when they can use it to drive home their agenda

That's not always the case and the same could be said for the other side too. Let's not pretend the Left is innocent of the same thing.

• Like 3

Melting pot? Is that what you are claiming is the Dem/left position? Really? Are you forgetting your and your parties position on Identity politics which is diametrically opposed to the idea of a Melting pot. I'm all for a Melting pot which is why I will never vote for democrat as long as I live.

Expand please. I honestly don't get what you are saying?

So this happened: (it's much worse than the headline.)

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/syrian-refugees-banned-216037

I don't even...

Sigh...

This takes the cake though:

Tennessee state Rep. Glen Casada, chairman of the state's House Republican caucus, said Tuesday that he wants use the state militia to round up Syrian refugees. "We need to activate the Tennessee National Guard and stop them from coming into the state by whatever means we can,” he told The Tennessean.

Advocating a state's militia to take up arms against the federal government?

I think we have a word for that.

Melting pot? Is that what you are claiming is the Dem/left position? Really? Are you forgetting your and your parties position on Identity politics which is diametrically opposed to the idea of a Melting pot. I'm all for a Melting pot which is why I will never vote for democrat as long as I live.

I'm stumped. What's this guy so angry about?

Here's an article on the 70 that have been arrested in US. A lot of background info on a number of the 70 ('refugees' don't seem to refer to recent ones from Syria)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3322649/The-enemy-Nearly-SEVENTY-arrested-America-ISIS-plots-include-refugees-given-safe-haven-turned-terror.html

This one breaks down the %s of travelers vs recruiters vs American planned attacks

http://nypost.com/2015/11/18/yes-the-isis-threat-to-america-is-very-real/

Here's one, more opinionated on ISIS in the US

http://nypost.com/2015/11/19/syrian-community-leader-isis-is-already-in-new-york-city/

Edited by steve09ru

Not trying to put words in your mouth. But it's just funny to me that people are suddenly worried about helping the homeless and poor, when they (not necessarily you, Steve) are opposed to them otherwise.

It's a convenient excuse for those spending the rest of the year ****ting all over the homeless and poor as much as they can.

the moocher class, and all.

they have no desire to help anyone. Ever. (Except the people they don't know they are benefiting by their obsequiousness, which they also don't realize they are giving.)

the irony of all of this is getting lost on those who most need to recognize it.

~Bang

• Like 1

The first three links are trash. The second two do not remotely refer to Syrians at the Mexican border.

Sites like Briebart are very right-wing and often I don't agree with their stories...  But they got this one right:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Syrians-Arrested-Trying-to-Cross-Texas-Border-Report-351721471.html

DHS confirmed that two Syrian families were trying to enter the US at the Mexican border.  They did "present" themselves to CBP.

Edited by Alaskins

Sites like Briebart are very right-wing and often I don't agree with their stories...  But they got this one right:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Syrians-Arrested-Trying-to-Cross-Texas-Border-Report-351721471.html

DHS confirmed that two Syrian families were caught at the Mexican border trying to sneak in to the US.

Actually the article makes it quite clear that they turned themselves in. No sneaking about it. All in custody and all highly unlikely to ever gain entrance to the United States. The real issue is, if they are actually Syrian, how the hell did they get to Mexico?

I would gladly take a family in. It would be tight for sure and we would have to convert my study into a bedroom, but yeah, I'd do it for folks fleeing ISIS.

That's not always the case and the same could be said for the other side too. Let's not pretend the Left is innocent of the same thing.

Sorry, I do not believe you for a second and think you are just trying to make new liberal friends after the some of the things you post.

I wouldn't take any darn nonsense into my home. EVER. Period.  Guess that makes me a bad Catholic, but I will live to see next Christmas and keep my family safe.

Actually the article makes it quite clear that they turned themselves in. No sneaking about it. All in custody and all highly unlikely to ever gain entrance to the United States. The real issue is, if they are actually Syrian, how the hell did they get to Mexico?

Completely agree with your question!  

It's a convenient excuse for those spending the rest of the year ****ting all over the homeless and poor as much as they can.

the moocher class, and all.

they have no desire to help anyone. Ever. (Except the people they don't know they are benefiting by their obsequiousness, which they also don't realize they are giving.)

the irony of all of this is getting lost on those who most need to recognize it.

~Bang

I learned a new word today. obsequiousness

obsequious

ADJECTIVE
  1. obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree:
  • Like 1

Completely agree with your question!

European countries have been taking them in in large numbers. Getting from Syria to Europe ain't that hard. How is crossing the Atlantic Ocean and traveling through Bum****, Mexico just to turn yourself in at Laredo even an option? There's a lot more to this story. Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1