Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry v Haslett and Gruden vs. Shanny

Burgold

As we reach the halfway point of the season I think it's fair to begin to try to make comparisons. Even despite this Patriots travesty, I think that Barry edges out Haslett. The run defense is beyond embarrassing, but Barry has duct taped a pass defense together that's respectable despite being down 3 starters nearly the whole season. What bothers me about Barry is that the Patriots are exploiting the same weakness over and over again and I don't see any fix. More, it's a weakness in the run defense that has been visible the last few games. Still, overall the defense is still fighting and that's more than we saw with Haslett.

Edge Barry.

The run game has fallen over a cliff, but the passing game looks pretty promising although a bit to conservative for my taste. This offense lives on the dink and dunk and I like a little more medium and long passing mixed in. Mind you, today's a tough day to judge because we may have had more drops than Cousins had throws.  I think the Kyle Shanahan offenses were a bit more diverse and challenged defenses more. More, he seems more inventive and willing to change up what he does for the talent available. This one is close too. 

Edge Tie.

Looking at it from my uncultured point of view, being stuck in dink and dunk mode is keeping defenders close to the line, which hurts the run game. I love dink and dunk and it always pleases me when it's executed well, but we haven't gotten any traction on deep passes, so they can keep us bottled up fairly easily. People said we'd get the deep game back once DeSean came back, but I didn't see it today. Maybe we'll get it rolling next week, but I don't see it. The drops were terrible today, and we paid dearly.

I expected nothing from the game, so my opinion remains relatively unchanged: We're a classic Redskins team that is always on the cusp of JUST being on the edge of competitiveness (I'm looking at how we held them to two FGs in the second and third quarters), but always being just a few players away from being able to do anything with it. If SM can kick us out of the rut with whatever changes he'll make over the offseason, we'll be rolling. Until then, more of the same.

I have to give an edge to Barry over Haslett, and it's not even close.

Today was tough, as you said it, especially in the run D, with the noted absence of Knighton. There were too many runs going through the tackles, going for long runs. We clearly have a personnel problem on ILB and SS because they're not getting the job done. At the same time, I believe we're sending them way too much to defend the pass more than the run, which helps.

The only common point between the two, is the defense lacks of tackling, and since we've changed every coaches on D, it has more to do with personnel than anything.

Best point: They never give up! And I love that.

On O, I really don't know what to say, or what to think about it. We're having no running game, that's it's tough to evaluate anything beyond this. Teams know we're not gonna run on them, and leaves it to the passing game. Good point, we're effective in it (except today). We might have found a new gem in Crowder, and despise what's being said and read, Cousins is getting the job done. Which is a good thing. Callahan was supposed to be an OL an running guru, right now, is magic isn't working around here.

Our pass protection is great though, with lots of young players on it.

I'll put it even between Kyle and McVay, sadly for Kyle he was often put behind early in games and tough situations to play in.

But as a whole, I still thinks that the light at the end of the tunnel is not the train comming at us full speed, but the end of it.

But as a whole, I still thinks that the light at the end of the tunnel is not the train comming at us full speed, but the end of it.

I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel too. I'm just not sure if they laid enough track to get the train there.

We might have found a new gem in Crowder, and despise what's being said and read, Cousins is getting the job done. Which is a good thing.

if kirk walks at the end of the year its not good. idk why they dont lock him up.

Sure, fire Gruden now will help greatly.

i said i wouldnt care and honestly i bet the win total is the same at the end of the season if you just put a bingo caller as the hc. it looked like he told the team all week we dont have a chance dont try.

if kirk walks at the end of the year its not good. idk why they dont lock him up.

i said i wouldnt care and honestly i bet the win total is the same at the end of the season if you just put a bingo caller as the hc. it looked like he told the team all week we dont have a chance dont try.

I've seen quite some guys trying out there. Kirk to name one. Crowder, Jarrett, Baker, just to name a few. Compton, Scherff as well (scored a great pancake on Chandler Jones at some point, was to watch, turned on him, hit him, then goes back to business elsewherre as Jones fall on the floor lol). So I doubt the coach said something along those lines.

I've seen quite some guys trying out there. Kirk to name one. Crowder, Jarrett, Baker, just to name a few. Compton, Scherff as well (scored a great pancake on Chandler Jones at some point, was to watch, turned on him, hit him, then goes back to business elsewherre as Jones fall on the floor lol). So I doubt the coach said something along those lines.

my comment was hyperbole. i dont think gruden prepared the team for the game or helped them work thru issues at HT. i agree about kirk but the rest of the team was uninspired at best and our game planning wasnt good enough.

I know it was hyperbole, but I think it hadn't much to do with the coaching here. Mostly about humlan stuff and how people acts in face of adversity.

i get that if it was just garcon or whatever it just seemed systemic since it was almost whole units underperforming. lots of unforced errors.

I am not a Haz guy and its plausible to me that Joe Barry is better but I think the sample size is too small to say he's better or worse.  I've been neutral on Barry and have seen little to make me warm to him outside of I like to drink a lot of coffee like he apparently does.  If you can't stop the run and can't pressure the QB -- it doesn't really lead to promising things.  

I can't recall the last time the Redskins defense has been that bad against the run.  It seems like if a RB can go a little east-west, we are doomed, regardless of who the running back is.   Goldson has finally given us at least average play out of the FS spot.   And the D can cause turnovers.  That's an improvement.  But tough for me to say we got a gem on Joe Barry -- maybe so -- but tough for me to see it yet.  I am watching the Giants-Tampa game and so far at least the Giants have had no problem running on Tampa or stopping their running game. 

Actually I've been tough on Jay before the season -- arrow pointing downward as opposed to neutral or positive.   And, I've seen some things which to me look like an improvement from last year -- passing game, less penalties, clock management, 4th quarter play.    Whether he pulls it off or not, he at least seems very open and aware of issues that need improvement -- he's very expressive on that front and I like to see that.   For me, this season can still potentially tank especially if they lose the next 2 games.  The Saints game IMO is big.   If they remain a feisty team and can hang in there in the division, I'd be impressed.  But if this season ends up going down like the last two seasons with lets say losing 6 out of the last 8, then Jay in that case didn't make that much progress.  

As for Shanny, I always had faith in his offensive mind.  The Denver press said what cost him his job there was his defenses and medicore-bad personnel decisions.  I felt we got a rerun of that in DC.  I'd go with Shanny as the better play caller in that his team's can not only run the ball but they are generally one of the top running teams in the league.  

IMO,

Shanahan / Barry.

Mike took the team from a joke to a division title at least, but his downfall was Haslett, whom he never got rid of.

There's no comparing Barry to Haslett this early, but it seems at least Barry has them playing harder; Haslett just cowered up in the booth reading Mad magazine and football for Dummies.

Gruden, I'd say he has to have a little bit of a longer leash, at least for this and next year; if he doesn't get this offense going, then he's on the hot seat, but its just too early, especially with the QB crap we all just went through. Its too bad that he didn't have this team psyched and ready for this week, which he should whole-heartedly be criticized for, but the WRs coach should run their asses into the ground for 4 days straight and for god's sake get rid of Andre Roberts. That sorry p.o.s. doesn't deserve to wear an NFL uniform.

A donut on a stick would be better than Haslett. Barry at least manages mediocrity.

Shandon and Gruden are both stuck in archaic offenses. Gruden just isn't as much of an arrogant dickhead about it.

Mark Bullock from the WP again has put up play diagrams showing how the ends in 4-3 veer-crash in on run plays, leaving the edges open for big plays if the running backs elect to go east-west.      if the inability to stop the run is scheme driven -- that gives me some optimism -- you figure at some point, they figure it out and fix it. 

Although it shouldn't take five games of being gashed to address it, esp. if the scheme doesn't seem to be yielding other positives like increased pressure on the QB or much better middle run defense. We're getting killed on the sides and through the middle.

Archived