Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins / Dolphins Prediction Thread: Kicking 2015 Off In Style

skins island connection

When: Sunday, September 13th

Where: FedEx Field

The start of another NFL season. Ahhh, the  crisp autumn air, rushing through the leaves; more like a sweltering steam bath right now, but what th' hec!

Sunday, the Redskins kick off another season against another storied franchise, the Miami Dolphins.

Some changes have happened since the Lombardi trophy was last hoisted by that team up north, some big, some small.

Out is Robert Griffin, in is Kirk [ not Kurt ] Cousins, and the speculation has already begun on the future of Griffin, and I pray it isn't a distraction to the team. 

FINALLY, a new defensive coordinator; out is, well, i refuse to even type his name, but we all know who it is, and is replaced by Joe Barry, a LB coach from San Diego. That in itself should be a moral boost to the team as well as the fans, but time will tell if he can get the defense on the right track.

The Redskins will be facing a Dolphins team who has done some upgrading of their own, adding Suh to their front, it should be a very challenging first game for the Redskins o-line, who have gotten Scherff to hopefully answer some protection issues. 

Offensively, the story is Kirk Cousins. Can he play steady throughout the season, or will he start off hot and then drop? Who knows, but the coaching staff believe he is their best chance of winning, so we shall see.

Look for a slower-paced, more sluggish, feeling-out type of game, mostly defensively controlled. I think the game will hinge more on who makes the fewest mistakes, and a late 4th qtr FG with 3:12 left will give the Redskins enough to pull out a win.

After the dust settles,

Redskins 19

Dolphins 16

**  Almost forgot: the first to nail the final score correctly wins a new Redskins cap, compliments of yours truly.

Miami is a playoff team?? Since when? They don't really have a good o-line. I can't name one wr and their RB's are pretty below average. Just don't get the pre season hype. Suh is overrated as Detroit just let him walk out the door. They have a good defense, I'll give them that, but they're not the 85 Bears. This game is very winnable if Kirk plays well.

Skins 23 Miami 20.

Redskins running game is stuffed early and the Dolphins put up a long bomb touchdown on us with a communication breakdown in the secondary. Cousins looks fine throwing the ball but we go into halftime down 3 to 10.

Halftime adjustments and fatigue cause us to get the running game going in the 3rd quarter, but unfortunately the same applies for Miami. Either Lamar Miller, Jordan Cameron or Kenny Stills runs wild and has by far his best game of the season, causing fantasy owners to overreact.

2 minute drills at the end of the game keep us within striking distance, and the defense steps up with pressure that causes Miami to stall on a 3 and out. It all comes down to us having a chance to win the game by putting the ball in Cousins hands for a goal line throw.

50/50 shot he either throws a touchdown dart that gets praised for his accuracy all next week, or tries to squeeze it in and it gets picked, causing Redskins fans to give up on life, the universe and everything.

Total combined score: 42

216462.jpg

1st Quarter - Kirk has a little rough start getting into it with Suh getting in his face quick and players continue to gel together. Morris continues to bruise the line, not breaking a lot but punishing their line, occasionally getting to the second level. Nothing spectacular but opening up the PA for the second quarter. Only 3 points for the good guys, 10 points for the bad guys.

2nd Quarter - The PA opens up some more, a nice 45 bomb to DJax to bring us into the redzone that's capped off with a DYoung 3 yard TD catch. Our defense starts hitting back hard, making their run difficult. Halftime: 14-13 the good guys!

3rd Quarter - A real defense brutal attack on both sides, a field goal for us and a TD for them brings them up 17-20 the Dolphins.

4th Quarter - Garcon shows why he's still relevant with a great YAC catch into the endzone in the last 4 minutes and our defense holds up to capture the win, 24-20!

Kirk has 1 pick but bounced back from it, fans sigh with relief as he didn't fall down the rabbit hole.

Redskins 27

Dolphins 13

I think an offense that moves the chains drastically changes his team's ability to complete. And I just don't get all the hype around the Dolphins. I'm also a contrarian, so when EVERYONE is predicting the redskins to suck miserably I actually look at that as a good sign. :)

Game notes:

Cousins doesn't do anything magical, he just distributes the ball effectively

The WR core (including Reed) is incredible when someone can hit them in stride

The Defense is significantly improved under Barry, but I'll suggest that maybe it wasn't that bad to begin with and not having your offense go 3-and-out for 2 1/2 quarters to start the game will be the biggest improvement

Alfred Morris will start his case for best running back in the league because the defense won't be able to stack 8 in the box.

Yeah. That's right. Optimism.

Why? Because you have to have it while you can. If you can't have it now then odds are you're going to be stuck waiting until next year...

I think the Dolphin offense meets little resistance in the first half and they ring up 3 scoring drives before we tighten up. I think we do an OK job of running the ball, but bog down in the red zone and come away with 2 Kai FGs. Halftime score: 17-6 Miami.

In the second half, Cousins starts off pretty hot and we get in the end zone to get back into the game. But, I just really don't trust our defense. I see us getting within striking distance a couple times only to give points right back. I'll go with 31-23 loss (with possibly our second TD being cosmetic late in the game).

Individually, I don't think Cousins will do anything amazing but he'll play fine. I think Morris will have 70ish yards, but we'll need to throw for most of the 4th quarter.

Sorry - I just don't have high hopes for the team this year. I think 6 wins is our ceiling.

I've been to three home openers and they've won them all. I'll be there next Sunday.

Sooooo I have no confidence in this actually happening but

Phins 17

Skins 24

Their LT being out helps a ton

In reality, I think Tannehill is going to take a big jump this year and that Devante Parker dude is going to take Goldson's soul at some point.

21-19 Miami. Cobra Kai misses a 50+ yd attempt as time expires. Special teams gives up a TD. KC does pretty well but the goal-to-go offense sputters on multiple occasions and settles for FGs. Defense shows signs of improvement as one of their two TDs allowed comes on a very short field after a turnover by the O. An injury to a key player dampens everyone's spirits

Archived