Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Losing Steam

TE#80

I have been a member on extremeskins for 8 years I rarely ever post but I used to check the site multiple times a day for my fix of Redskins news and discussion...In the last year or two my passion for extremeskins has been nearly extinguished. 

I remember in the early goings when some of the best discussions were getting buried because of all the "trash" that was posted on a daily basis.  Those days were awful but I am afraid however, that the other end of the spectrum is just as problematic.  Because of the hard work of the Moderators they were able to get the hoards of repeat posts under control, but in doing so some of the main content of the board has become buried in Mega Threads. 

Undoubtedly the biggest story concerning our franchise is the future of RG3's career.  I, like many others have had my thirst for Redskins news quenched by The Bleacher Report App.  But what I cant get from that app is in depth conversation about the latest team news.  (I DESPISE comment sections below RG3 articles). 

So when I visit Extremeskins I want to jump right into a discussion such as: Is there a concussion conspiricy, or does Gruden hate RG3? or How much is RG3 to blame for the sacks? or should RG3 play in the 4th preseason game?  Each of these topics should be there own concise discussion.  When I log in for the first time in a week I have ZERO interest in scrolling through hundreds of pages of posts trying to find the right branch of a RG3 conversation.

Alot of the conversation here has lost life and nuance.  I am fully behind the purpose that Mega Threads serve.  But there must be some middle ground, some way to seperate complex topics into subgroups.  Or possibly limit the duration of Mega Threads to a couple weeks or so... and then whatever the most (relevent) recent conversation going on at the end of the two weeks could be used to start a new thread.  This way the conversations can branch into different threads at the moderators discretion. 

Are there any other ideas out there? Or are there any other casual users that feel that Mega Threads need to be done away with or at least be changed in some way? 

You may get your wish soon enough. Jumbo is constantly pondering on when the OCD RG3 thread should be closed. 

However, as you can see currently, there is no "branch of RG3 conversation" that is "right", lol. The situation remains untenable and no one can help themselves. 

There was a thread about the time the first team offense should play that was made a couple weeks ago. It was consistently posted in, and even Robert was brought up. If you feel like you have a worthy point to make on the topic, make it yourself in the RG3 thread and the conversation will certainly "branch" out in your favor.

The board is, after all, only as good as its posters.   

This really should've went in the Feedback Forum, btw. But I'll let it stand to see what others think about it, unless another mod feels otherwise. I think Jumbo might find this to be an interesting discussion. Or not, lol. 

Every RG3 thread would turn into the same conversation. Trust me.

Exactly, there's no way to have multiple RG3 threads and like the Thread Title states, unless it's a major new development in Griffin news, then it stays inside the Megathread because in 4 or 5 posts further down, it will become a Gruden vs Griffin vs Cousins vs Scot vs Dan vs Bruce vs Shanahan vs Preseason.

If major news does come out that deserves a thread ie. RG3 benched for season, RG3 another season ending injury, then you'll see a new thread I'm sure.

Edit - I feel as though the other topics are pretty good in terms of discussion and the twitter thread is great for quick news, especially if you go to the last page to get most updated info.

This is all just me speaking on how I see it:

First, in general, I'll just say that while I understand critics of the mega threads, they are (as evident) some of the most popular and long-legged threads ever in board history and generate a LOT of discussion with a lot of participants.

As we move into the season and there really is a TON of more meat on the table for topics each and every week (because we actually play real games), you will likely still see mega threads, but you will also see more "fresh" stand alone threads (we still have our share of those in the off-season, though). Just as it was last season.

On a more specific note, that doesn't necessarily mean all the things you'd like to see "nuanced" about Robert if "the saga" continues will be---that's going to be up to the posters, and up to now when it comes to rg3, that's a no-go.

But I'd say there's been real (if slow and often painful) progress in the last two/three in months opening up the dialogue on some of these matters from the rigid fixated uber-repeated lines in the sand, full of all kinds of "wrong", in thread after thread (and I do not impugn any "one side"--it was well shared). So the discussion has improved a great deal in balance and depth and just overall quality.

Many posters and some of the staff have done yeoman work in that regard, all while still speaking their mind as freely as the rules allow. Some have actually modified their own positions to a more nuanced or layered take on things as a result, and in a manner that obviously facilitates interest in further similar discussion and less "agenda-pushing" or flaming or drive bys or fanboy/hater food fights.

But for now, the rg3ocd thread will remain. 

He's right.  It's pretty much the reason why i only hang out in the tailgate anymore.  Outside of the Nats thread, every topic there is its own unique topic.  I don't want to read 500 pages to get caught up and get lost with the other comments. 

But then you'd be reading 500 pages, spread throughout numerous threads, about the same regurgitated issues/arguments and end up lost as well in it all. 

No mod is against anyone creating threads. We totally encourage it. The problem as I see it is, every time a good, football-centric thread (or even just a generally legit idea of a thread) is created, it gets a few posts and is more or less ignored, while the mega-threads continue to be populated.

Again, not to sound like I'm pointing the finger or anything... but the board is what all of us posters make of it. The mods really haven't put a seal on much outside of the ridiculous RG3 crap that does nothing but overrun any thread it's brought up in, off or on topic. 

And I'm not a Tailgate guy, but I'm pretty sure there's like 8,000,000,000,000 more available topics to discuss there, which lends to that type of forum filled with unique threads. 

Why don't you try to make a good thread or two here? You're a long-tenured, respected member. I'm sure you've got some good ideas. :)

I want to ask a question about who of our current 2016 FAs are priority resignings but don't know the proper thread to do so. I'm new and way too timid to start my own thread one week in. :P

You seem to be doing just fine and are contributing very well from the start. :)

DC9 usually makes an FA thread a certain time before Free Agency (depending on how awful the season is going, lol) and in it that's discussed... but if you think it's something intriguing right now you shouldn't be shy about making a thread about it.

Just make sure the title is specific so people know what they're clicking into (like "getting into", get it? heheheheh)... the thread will be as good as the effort you put into it. I will say, however, that I'm unsure about how much interest you'll generate since FA is quite a ways away. Personally, I'd put it in DC9's most recent FA thread here, but that's just me:  

http://es.redskins.com/topic/383467-2015-fa-thread-op-updated-signings-paea-knighton-culliver-johnson-mccoy-hill-goldson/  

I understand the OPs point of view, and have found myself recently thinking along the same lines. However, i have also considered the other point of view, as Jumbo stated, there just isn't really a lot of thread worthy action going on.

I fully expect new, interesting threads (and maybe even qb related threads) to pop up during the season.

It's not always that the board turns into a cluster**** of meaningless, related rant threads, but when it does, it seems to be tied to qb debate. Do you remember the Jason Campbell debates by BLC and SoCal? They were a nightmare. Mega-threads might be a necessary evil for the offseason.

I sometimes have wanted to make a specialized Draft thread even though we have a very extensive and good Draft thread because my topic will get lost in the mass posting near Draft time (e.g. analyzation of prospects better suited to a 4-3 vs a 3-4). I don't think in this instance you will get burned for starting a new thread but you'd better make sure that thread presents a lot of unique ideas and is well founded. If the thread presents new material and elicits a favorable response from posters, the mods don't seem to mind.

You seem to be doing just fine and are contributing very well from the start. :)

DC9 usually makes an FA thread a certain time before Free Agency (depending on how awful the season is going, lol) and in it that's discussed... but if you think it's something intriguing right now you shouldn't be shy about making a thread about it.

Just make sure the title is specific so people know what they're clicking into (like "getting into", get it? heheheheh)... the thread will be as good as the effort you put into it. I will say, however, that I'm unsure about how much interest you'll generate since FA is quite a ways away. Personally, I'd put it in DC9's most recent FA thread here, but that's just me:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/383467-2015-fa-thread-op-updated-signings-paea-knighton-culliver-johnson-mccoy-hill-goldson/

Thanks for the feeback and will do. There's a lot of impending FAs next year, and of course what happens during the season will dramatically effect their priority for resigning. I think next offseason will be the key offseason that will determine what this franchise will look like for the better part of the next decade. And not just because if the QB situation.

The board has been here 15 years; it's not losing steam.  It has had it's ups and downs but that goes with the team.  If the team is doing well; this board is fun place to be.  When it's not; everything is nitpicked to death, over and over.  Sadly, this team has rarely done well; during this site's existence.

I sometimes have wanted to make a specialized Draft thread even though we have a very extensive and good Draft thread because my topic will get lost in the mass posting near Draft time (e.g. analyzation of prospects better suited to a 4-3 vs a 3-4). I don't think in this instance you will get burned for starting a new thread but you'd better make sure that thread presents a lot of unique ideas and is well founded. If the thread presents new material and elicits a favorable response from posters, the mods don't seem to mind.

We actually encouraged posters to make specialized draft threads in the month or so leading up to the draft and mentioned it a few times. A couple were made, like one specifically about Safeties coming out of college for example.

The mega-thread for the draft is, like other mega-threads, more about the lack of info and interest it garners the rest of the year.

So now you know, no excuses this upcoming offseason during peak draft talk times. :P

Well at least he didn't ask to have his "account deleted" because of philosophical differences. 

ES Effigy Totem Pole currently stands:  

RG3

Scherff

ES Mega-Threads 

Snyder/Allen/Gruden

Mods

Fed-Ex Field

Bàng 

||

||

(monk4thahall)

Nervous about this post.  :)

You may get your wish soon enough. Jumbo is constantly pondering on when the OCD RG3 thread should be closed. 

Please let this happen.  I think we should put it to a poll or just agreed to be the MODs for the betterment of the site.  Back in the early 2000's I had a job where they didn't give me enough work making it easy to post a lot.  My next job after that and starting my own business left me radio silent for years not really by choice but having a ton more responsibility.

Due to some health issues it open up some more time to participate and these RG3 discussions are a plague.  Its not even here look at 980 and some of the other shows.  There is really to NO objectivity when it comes to him which is happening in real life all the time now.  Anyway this is a make it or break it year so even talking about it means little as he's here next year if he get it done or close enough, he's not if he doesn't or s benched.  End of story no need to talk about it anymore.

First of all great OP and thanks for caring enough to post it.

My 2cents is that its not the mega threads which are sucking the wind out of wider discussion - its the obessesion we/the media have with the QB sitiation. There is good reason for that in that its that situation which is the biggest drag on this team finally turning the corner and becoming relevant again. But the discussion has become VERY stale and largely ill informed.

Its not just us fans who have developed our positions on this its the media as well. As an example if Jason Reid posted on this site the way he writes and speaks in his media gigs he'd be banned for being a troll.

But there is SO much else apart from the QB that goes into making a team. Posters like KDawg used to do great chalk talk threads on the O'Line or the 3-4 versus 4-3. I did some threads on what reading coverage really means (a road which quickly takes us back to the QB situation ...)

But those threads tend not to get that much attention - partly because not everyone is really interested in the X's and O's (which is fine) but also I think because its just easier to crash into the RGIII thread and shout 'he sucks" or "its all Grudens fault" etc.

Look bottom line this board is what we make it. If you want better content write it. Start some interesting threads and take part in them.

I'm on vacation this week. If the wifes not looking I might do something again on reading coverages and also maybe different ways you can create time for your QB without having him running ...

edit...

But there is SO much else apart from the QB that goes into making a team. Posters like KDawg used to great chalk talk threads on the O'Line or the 3-4 versus 4-3. I did some threads on what reading coverage really means (a road which quickly takes us back to the QB situation ...)

But those threads tend not to get that much attention - partly because not everyone is really interested in the X's and O's (which is fine) but also I think because its just easier to crash into the RGIII thread and shout 'he sucks" or "its all Grudens fault" etc.

edit....

I liked your response and wanted to comment specifically on the one part I left above and then the OP in general. I think the educational  type of posts get more attention during the regular season. Everything becomes more meaningful when the season actually gets here. I know I really enjoy those posts. Personally I think they are one of the very best parts of coming here. 

Further to the point, while I totally understand where the OP is coming from, I believe this is probably the worst time to judge the content of threads as we are at the very end of a long time from real football, but have a gotten a taste with preseason which to me is just pretend football. We are so thirsty for real football we try to apply the same analysis and conversation to it as we do real games, thus the long repeated and buried into the ground repetitive opinions. 

You really can't get new opinions until you get real live meaningful games. Once the season starts new independent threads will start popping up more often as people have something truly different and relevant to say.

Has the season started yet???   HTTR!!

In general this board is wayyyyyy over-modded compared to other boards.  Any remotely related thread is immediately moved and essentially lost.  The OCD thread is actually a great example of proper modding, and should be allowed to continue ad infinitum.  The fact that there are 6 day old posts on page 1 during football season is a sign of something. 

The other thing I've noted in recent years is how apologetic some are in making a thread. It's like they feel the need to ask permission and are afraid to do so. I have read way to many opening 'graphs that started "I hope this is thread worthy, but I've noticed..."

The twitter thread has become the soul of this board. Every Redskins thought pretty much gets posted in there. It's taken me some time to get used to it and enjoy it, but everything is in it for both good and bad. There are actually some great discussions there. Some are so great that they detract from getting the "news" out.

I do think megathreads have their use and agree with others about the RGIII thread. It's an oddly addictive and unhealthy universe all its own. I also acknowledge that many well intended threads are pulled away from their topic and into a familiar chatter. For example, the Gruden thread is now at least half an RGIII sucks thread.

I guess I would lean for more. Mind you, I like discovering the really well thought out posts as well as some of the bizarre train wrecks. Some of ES' greatest threads have been bad threads that became extended humor threads. 

I don't think it's that ES is losing steam, but the megathreads are like going to a buffet. You can find lots there and even some tasty stuff, but the spicing is different.

The board is only losing steam because of:

1) Capacity issues it suffered near the end of 2012, which really killed any momentum heading into 2013

2) The ridiculous taglines it employed early in 2013, which distracted the board from actually focusing on discussion

3) A brand new set of mods that came in during 2014, which resulted in transition and the board having to get comfortable with new moderation

4) The fact that many regular posters haven't all posted together yet in 2015 - no continuity and we are kind of "hanging the board out to dry" - some would even say it's sabotage

Just wait, with the guaranteed $16M upgrade coming in 2016, the best is yet to come!

I have been a member on extremeskins for 8 years I rarely ever post but I used to check the site multiple times a day for my fix of Redskins news and discussion...In the last year or two my passion for extremeskins has been nearly extinguished. 

I remember in the early goings when some of the best discussions were getting buried because of all the "trash" that was posted on a daily basis.  Those days were awful but I am afraid however, that the other end of the spectrum is just as problematic.  Because of the hard work of the Moderators they were able to get the hoards of repeat posts under control, but in doing so some of the main content of the board has become buried in Mega Threads. 

Undoubtedly the biggest story concerning our franchise is the future of RG3's career.  I, like many others have had my thirst for Redskins news quenched by The Bleacher Report App.  But what I cant get from that app is in depth conversation about the latest team news.  (I DESPISE comment sections below RG3 articles). 

So when I visit Extremeskins I want to jump right into a discussion such as: Is there a concussion conspiricy, or does Gruden hate RG3? or How much is RG3 to blame for the sacks? or should RG3 play in the 4th preseason game?  Each of these topics should be there own concise discussion.  When I log in for the first time in a week I have ZERO interest in scrolling through hundreds of pages of posts trying to find the right branch of a RG3 conversation.

Alot of the conversation here has lost life and nuance.  I am fully behind the purpose that Mega Threads serve.  But there must be some middle ground, some way to seperate complex topics into subgroups.  Or possibly limit the duration of Mega Threads to a couple weeks or so... and then whatever the most (relevent) recent conversation going on at the end of the two weeks could be used to start a new thread.  This way the conversations can branch into different threads at the moderators discretion. 

Are there any other ideas out there? Or are there any other casual users that feel that Mega Threads need to be done away with or at least be changed in some way?

Believe it or not I agree to a large extent. I don't care for the mega thread strategy either. The Twitter thread is great, but the mega thread strategy doesn't work as well in other topics

We will have to do better

The other thing I've noted in recent years is how apologetic some are in making a thread. It's like they feel the need to ask permission and are afraid to do so. I have read way to many opening 'graphs that started "I hope this is thread worthy, but I've noticed..."

I agree, that does bother me as well and it's why I've made it a point to encourage people to start threads.

But here's the thing. Most times, it's not the mods. Just look at the first page of posts to the majority of new threads, and you'll find a large percentage of them are from long-tenured posters here pretty much bashing the OP, either for making the thread in the first place or its content.

ES, by virtue of its size alone, can be an unforgiving place.

A lot of the thread locks are mercy locks, lol.

We will have to do better

And that folks is the crux of it, if it isn't good, make it better. Losing steam? stoke the fire. No good threads? start one.

IF this place is not what it was in your mind, then we are the ones that let it happen and the ones that can change it.

Archived