Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stranger Dimensions - The Berenst#in Bears Problem: Are We Living In An Alternate Worldline?

The Evil Genius

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot..

Fringe was right.

The Berenst#in Bears Problem: Are We Living In An Alternate Worldline?

By Rob Schwarz on January 21, 2015 // 

berentsein-bears-parallel-universe-620x3
Image: ESO via CC by 2.0 and The Berenstain Bears

A couple months ago, someone left an innocuous comment on my post 4 Weird “Clues” that Parallel Universes Exist. The comment was this:

My response at first was probably what yours is now: The what? But after a quick Google search, I realized what this person was talking about. The Berenstein Bears.

“You need to look up the Berenst#in Bears problem.”

Now, if you don’t know about The Berenstein Bears, they were a series of children’s books, and eventually a cartoon, created by Stan and Jan Berenstein. They focused on a family of bears, and did the usual educational children’s book/tv series thing. Simple enough. I remember them, vaguely, and I believe I owned a book or two when I was a kid. It’s been a while.

So what’s the problem?

They’re not The Berenstein Bears. They’ve never been The Berenstein Bears. Despite the fact that many others remember them as The Berenstein Bears, and I myself still pronounce their name as The Berenstein Bears, this is false. This is wrong.

They are The Berenstain Bears.

It was such a strange feeling to find that out. To see Google correcting my spelling, to seethe Wikipedia entry titled The Berenstain Bears, to see book covers that seemed at odds with the memories I had in my head. What was going on?

The “problem,” as it were, became clearer when I found this post by someone named Reece (“a graduate student of physics”) at a blog titled the Wood between Worlds (an interesting place, check it out).

Reece’s post is a trip down the rabbit hole for anyone, like myself, who remembers that cartoon family as The Berenstein Bears, not The Berenstain Bears. And with it comes a strange hypothesis.

I don't get it. What the hell is Berenstain?

Did you read the article? ;)

When growing up most of us read books called the Berenstein bears...or so we thought. Apparently, now (or maybe it was always like that) it's the Barenstain Bears

there may be a point to this.

After all, thngs are a lot harsher and people are ever more inclined to be mean. Our society is becoming more of a dog eat dog world, where sides are drawn over everything, and things get nasty fairly quickly.

And as anyone knows, evil parallel universes are distinguishable by the fondness the male inhabitants have for wearing goatees ...which have become very popular in the last 20 years.

Coincidence?

~Banğ

By the by, even when i was a kid i called them Bearen-stain.

Don't know why.

and further,, to really get to the bottom of it, who reads it as BearenSTINE and who reads it as BearenSTEEN?

Reminds me of that late 90s show Sliders (with Jerry OConnor and John Rhys-Davies). The theme of the show was that the main character had invented a device to travel into parallel dimensions where civilization had turned out differently. (What if the Germans won WW2, that type of thing) and the chracters were all trying to get back to their home dinmension. Anyway I remember at the start of one the episodes, they had travelled to an alternate San Francisco where everything was pretty much the Same, except the Golden Gate bridge was painted blue

Archived