Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

Ok, so I've toyed around with this idea for quite a while and figured I'd start it up to see if anyone else was interested in contributing.   I wanted to create a thread that lists and compiles all the blown calls, all the unfair actions by the commissioner, all the karmic injustices, all the cheap shots and underhanded tactics that occur against the Redskins.  For the record, no I'm not crazy.  I do this both as an act of love for my team, who clearly deserve preferential treatment right?!? But also hopefully to highlight the fact that I believe there is some truth to the mantra of "good teams seem to get all the lucky breaks", while the bad teams are constantly being kicked when they are down.

I also realize that if I tried to go backwards and try to document every slight that has happened to this team in recent history, I would very quickly turn into a blubbering mess and be hauled off to the loony bin.  

We're all familiar with the Cap Hit Penalty that was enforced despite being approved by the league office,

http://profootballspot.com/_/nfl/nfc-east/washington-redskins/unfair-salary-cap-penalty-plagues-redskins-r1255

We all remember the NFL network not using any Redskins players to promote the Dallas game last year and spending the third quarter talking to Jerry Jones because they assumed it would be a blowout at that point. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/10/28/ryan-clark-used-espns-redskins-cowboys-promo-to-motivate-his-teammates/ 

But there were smaller things too that may have gone unnoticed, like the cap penalty not being enforced until the day before free agency?!?  And Shanahan not being told about it until Adam Schefter happened to mention it to him, not a league official?!?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/09/03/mike-shanahan-found-out-about-the-redskins-salary-cap-penalties-from-adam-schefter/

Or how about the player suspensions for the New Orleans Saints after Bountygate being overturned right before we were supposed to play them?  And there being a one week window between when they were eligible to play and when Goodell could choose to re-suspend them?  Guess who they played in that one week?http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059459/article/saints-player-bounty-suspensions-overturned-on-appeal

Or the phantom whistle by the ref during the Carolina Panthers game that resulted in a non reviewable touchdown?  http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/04/deangelo-williams-panthers-redskins-whistle-controversial-touchdown/1681293/

These are just some of the examples of things that I will be looking for going forward and hopefully i can convince others to do the same.  

With that being said the primary focus will be on things that happen from this offseason going forward.  Consider it a way to feel better after a brutal loss, a way to say F Mara on a weekly basis, and a way to shine light on situations where it seems like the team is "shooting themselves in the foot" but there may actually be more too it.

Again, this is all in good fun.

With that being said, two issues I have seen this season so far -

1.  Dallas will be getting Greg Hardy back just in time to make a playoff push, and we are the only divisional team that will play him.  Not just once, were the only team that will see him AT ALL

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16837/redskins-still-face-greg-hardy-twice-giants-eagles-both-miss

2.  The Redskins, a 4-12 team, ranks 2nd only behind the 2 time Super Bowl appearing Seahawks in terms of games playing against opponents with extra rest.  Not exactly the parity between teams we'd like to see

http://www.footballperspective.com/washington-seattle-carolina-tampa-bay-extra-rest-and-the-2015-nfl-schedule/

Again feel free to contribute and I'll be adding things periodically as they come up.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 4

No. Just stop. Nitpicking all the "unfair" things is so silly. It's football, it's a game. You're either a good team and you win, or you're a bad team and you lose. Blaming everything on things you can't change, like the schedule and how long a woman beater is being suspended for is stupid. If you think Greg Hardy alone is going to cost us two games then maybe it's time to look at what the Redskins should be doing to revamp the o-line, not what the league should be doing about his suspension and our schedule. 

• Like 8

1. You must have missed where I said that silly and all in good fun is what this thread was for.

2. I don't think Greg Hardy will cost us both games, but I do think it's an advantage within the division and worth noting

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 2

Reaper, you know damn well this isn't for fun. You're a nut. Just admit it lol

But seriously tho, ppl think the NFL would intentionally help the Carolina Panthers (who have no fans and play in a state with a bunch of Skins fans) over the Skins, who routinely bring in millions in merch and TV ratings despite being terrible the last 20 years? I know you're joking but I remember ppl being serious about that after that game

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 1

Not intentionally helping Carolina no. More of a "eh it's the Redskins they probably would have scored on them on the next play anyway so why bother" mentality.

And yes, I think you do have to be a little crazy to survive the emotional roller coaster that comes from rooting for this team every week.

Here's more info on the phantom whistle call in the 2012 Carolina game and the officials admitting they were wrong after the fact

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/nfl-admits-officiating-mistake-panthers-touchdown-against-redskins-005748828--nfl.html

Edited by Reaper Skins

Very subtle way to draw out the idiots.

Or just mention Robert Griffin III in any context.  :P

Plus there you even draw out opposing versions of idjit-cy as well as textbook examples of denial.  

I think this thread might be a fresh and entertaining alternative for those of the more loonish and obsessively inclined and the ne'er-do-wells who like to mock such ever-vigilant folk.

Can't wait until the ref stuff starts seriously flowing.  :ph34r:

BTW, in all seriosity and with actual respect to the topic---**** Mara in the face with a rake.

• Like 14

Don't listen to anyone, man... I think this thread will be fun at the very least and it's a nice change from the norm.

I do think Snyder is generally disliked enough around the league that the organization gets zero benefit of the doubt or leniency (as we saw with the cap penalty) and I do think our team has stunk so bad for so long and in the most circus-like ways it has had a psychological effect on how the refs view us, simply because they're human. You know, the Jordan effect and whatnot.

I don't think there's anything else to the perceived "conspiracy against us", though. Just that. :)   

• Like 6

That time that one ref shot one of our players before he was about to get into the end zone for a game winning TD was messed up. Then he call HIM for illegal formation after he fell, thus giving the opposing team the ball since it was a 4th down play at the end of the game. I was heated. I thought it was suspect at best but I'm not sure I'd say "conspiracy".

• Like 3

To your point submittedone, our cap penalty came down right before free agency started.  As of right now, there has not been any official conclusion from the league about Deflate Gate.  It will be interesting to see whether the Patriots (probably the NFL's version of Jordan)  gets the same treatment or whether any penalties get swept under the rug so the Patriots draft isn't affected.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/us/deflategate-three-months-later/

For the record both the Browns and the Falcons already received their penalties for the upcoming season with plenty of time to modify any offseason strategies

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2414083-browns-falcons-penalties-for-violating-league-rules-reportedly-revealed

Here's a quick recap article on our cap hit penalty happening within 24 hours of free agency beginning, and 2 days AFTER we made the huge trade with the Rams.  Needless to say if we knew it was coming we would have approached the offseason very differently

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2012/03/12/nfl-hits-cowboys-redskins-hard-by-docking-salary-cap-space

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1

Don't listen to anyone, man... I think this thread will be fun at the very least and it's a nice change from the norm.

I do think Snyder is generally disliked enough around the league that the organization gets zero benefit of the doubt or leniency (as we saw with the cap penalty) and I do think our team has stunk so bad for so long and in the most circus-like ways it has had a psychological effect on how the refs view us, simply because their human. You know, the Jordan effect and whatnot.

I don't think there's anything else to the perceived "conspiracy against us", though. Just that. :)   

The thing about refs is that, when you stink, you've got refs that stinks, as the best refs are kept for the best teams that plays on prime time, and NFL, as any sport association don't want its favorite sport being blown by bad calls. That's usually how it works.

Thus, if you sucks, the refs calling your games will suck as well and you'll get subject to blown calls.

But, in all fairness, I use to not criticize refs, as most of the times they're just human.

That time that one ref shot one of our players before he was about to get into the end zone for a game winning TD was messed up. Then he call HIM for illegal formation after he fell, thus giving the opposing team the ball since it was a 4th down play at the end of the game. I was heated. I thought it was suspect at best but I'm not sure I'd say "conspiracy".

Don't remember that... When was that?

But since we're in it for all the fun, I'd like to point out the hidden fact, that, speaking of the refs, there's two kind of rules in the NFL, there's one for the 31 teams in the NFL, and there's the Redskins rules that applies to them and the team playing them on any given sunday:

Rule 1: Any Offensive Lineman is allowed to hold any defensive redskins player.

Rule 2: You can smack any Redskins QB in the face after the ref whistled the end of play, even 10 seconds after it.

Rule 3: You can shove a Redskins player into a Punt Returner to tackle him. It's legal.

Rule 4: Redskins asked replays are always rejected.

Rule 5: If the Redskins make a big play, watch the replay, there's an illegal formation/offensive holding to call. You don't see it? Watch again, it's here.

• Like 2

Rule 4: Redskins asked replays are always rejected.

That was one thing I was gonna investigate further as well.  I know challenge flags are pretty much a 50/50 shot, but didn't Gruden have like, historically bad luck with his challenges last season?  I'd be interested to see footage for the plays he called for review.  I remember that he won 1 out of 8, but i also don't really remember any of his challenges being for things that made me say "well that's just a waste of a challenge flag"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/04/will-redskins-head-coach-jay-gruden-ever-win-a-coachs-challenge/

Here's a link of the 8 challenges, don't know if anyone has video for any of them?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJa0.htm

The Seattle forward pass and the Amerson interception ones particularly irk me.

Edited by Reaper Skins

w.r.t playing teams with extra rest, there's a million things that go into making the schedule.  It'd be next to impossible to sit there and try to do it in a way that hurts one specific team.  For instance, teams can only play a certain number of consecutive road games, they have to get a bye after a London game, two teams share a stadium, and multiple teams share parking lots with MLB teams that are still playing, (and in Oakland's case they share the stadium).  Lots of cities have marathons in October and the NFL team can't be at home that day if the race course goes close to the stadium (Chicago comes to mind).  The NFL struggles enough trying to work through all of this to even start considering how to mess with the Redskins.

Beyond that we tend to completely ignore any evidence to the contrary.  For instance the 2015 schedule has an unusually easy start and a very difficult finish to it.  If that schedule was completely reversed, I'm sure some people on this board would complain that the league wants to bury the Redskins early and not even give the team a shot.

Ok, so I've toyed around with this idea for quite a while and figured I'd start it up to see if anyone else was interested in contributing.   I wanted to create a thread that lists and compiles all the blown calls, all the unfair actions by the commissioner, all the cheap shots and underhanded tactics that are used against the Redskins.  For the record, no I'm not crazy.  I do this both as an act of love for my team, who clearly deserve preferential treatment right?!? But also hopefully to highlight the fact that I believe there is some truth to the mantra of "good teams seem to get all the lucky breaks", while the bad teams are constantly being kicked when they are down.

I also realize that if I tried to go backwards and try to document every slight that has happened to this team in recent history, I would very quickly turn into a blubbering mess and be hauled off to the loony bin.  We're all familiar with the Cap Hit Penalty that was enforced despite being approved by the league office, we all remember the NFL network not using any Redskins players to promote the Dallas game last year and spending the third quarter talking to Jerry Jones because they assumed it would be a blowout at that point.  But there were smaller things too that may have gone unnoticed, like the cap penalty not being enforced until the day before we had the draft?!?  Or The commissioner trying to reinstate Johnathan Vilma of the New Orleans Saints after Bountygate right before we were supposed to play them?  Or the phantom whistle by the ref during the Carolina Panthers game that resulted in a non reviewable touchdown?  These are just some of the examples of things that I will be looking for going forward and hopefully i can convince others to do the same.  

With that being said the focus will be on things that happen from this offseason going forward.  Consider it a way to feel better after a brutal loss, a way to say F Mara on a weekly basis, and a way to shine light on situations where it seems like the team is "shooting themselves in the foot" but there may actually be more too it.

Again, this is all in good fun.

With that being said, two issues I have seen this season so far -

1.  Dallas will be getting Greg Hardy back just in time to make a playoff push, and we are the only divisional team that will play him.  Not just once, were the only team that will see him AT ALL

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16837/redskins-still-face-greg-hardy-twice-giants-eagles-both-miss

2.  The Redskins, a 4-12 team, ranks 2nd only behind the 2 time Super Bowl appearing Seahawks in terms of games playing against opponents with extra rest.  Not exactly the parity between teams we'd like to see

http://www.footballperspective.com/washington-seattle-carolina-tampa-bay-extra-rest-and-the-2015-nfl-schedule/

Again feel free to contribute and I'll be adding things periodically as they come up.

None of this even matters because this squad will BALL HARD this season!!!!

Hail Em Up

Edited by Hail Em Up

Why do we always ALWAYS get Jeff Triplett or Ed Hochuli... I cant remember ever getting Steratore or the top officials.  Whenever I see them I automatically know its a loss.  Conspiracy Bruh...

I almost posted this earlier, but didn't  :P

Now watch...the guys who regularly go off on the "ref conspiracies/bias" deal in almost every gameday thread will avoid this one.  

:lol: