Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

6 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Guys I'd like to stick around. Galdi, Bram, Scott J, Scott L, Czabe, Smoot/Cooley (during the season).

I’d take Galdi, Bram, guy who produces Bram, and a few segments on some other show of Cooley Film Breakdown.  I don’t need Cooley on anything other than football,

I’ve grown tired of Sheehan, and everything after 1:00 is ick.  I typically listen to podcasts of Cooley/Kevin (segments I care about) and Bram on the way home.

6 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Smoot is great. What I love about him is that while he still has his southern accent and jokes. He's not just throwing out nonsense to cover for anything. He clearly is watching a lot of football, probably film. He can talk about players, positions, routes, assignments, etc.

There are guys (cough cough, Doc) who have been on the radio for decades and still can't seem to do that. They're filled with intangibles and nicknames.

Smooter was the best thing going on 980. Best of all worlds (real talk, X' s and O's, and humor). I'd like a 3 man show with maybe him, Cooley, and Galdi or Bram. I'd definitely listen to that.

I abhor blood and guts radio/commentary. It's lazy.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yikes, a bunch of cuts at 980. I haven't listened to them in years, but I hate to see people lose their gig.

http://www.dcrtv.com

Source: Cooley, Walker, Weinstein, Jackson Out At WTEM - 8/2 - DCRTV hears from a reliable local radio source that Urban One is making massive budget cuts to their newly-acquired WTEM, The Team 980. Out are: Chris Cooley, Doc Walker, Bram Weinstein, and Scott Jackson. The only show not affected is Steve Czaban's. Cuts expected to continue, including off-air positions. New shows not yet determined, though Al Koken, Fred Smoot, and Chick Hernandez are all getting try-outs this week. Back in May, Silver Spring-based Urban One, formerly Radio One, agreed to purchase sports talker WTEM from Red Zebra, which was owned by Redskins owner Dan Snyder. The 980 AM signal was Snyder's last broadcast radio property. He'd sold WTEM's two FM signals last year.....

That's interesting to me...some thoughts:

Bram is surprising and disappointing - he wasn't great, but he is very professional and I liked his takes. 

I liked the Cooley and Kevin dynamic so I'll miss that, but 90% of what I liked was Kevin anyway so I'll live. 

I'm glad Galdi survived, he's great and should play a MAJOR role. 

I can't stand the Locker Room show - it's just BMitch and Doc talking over each other Scott Jackson, to me, adds nothing. 

I am not a huge fan of Koken, but maybe it's an attempt to diversify and touch on other sports than football?

Smoot is VERY entertaining so I'm glad he's getting a look. 

Maybe Galdi replaces Bram during the lunchtime hour and they do away with that 5 - 7 am slot.

Smokin Al and/or Smoot maybe get a shot with Doc in mid-afternoon.

They'll probably pick someone to pair with Sheehan, but I'd like it more if he just had the show on his own.  I'm more used to the solo hosts in my "growing up in Philly" days (although I like listening to Czabe's show more than Dukes). 

• Like 1

Koken getting a show seems like its 15-20 years too late.  Literally the only reason I can think of that somebody thinks Koken is the fresh blood the station needs is they think he can tap into the Caps crowd.  But I get that he probably comes cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

They'll probably pick someone to pair with Sheehan, but I'd like it more if he just had the show on his own.  I'm more used to the solo hosts in my "growing up in Philly" days (although I like listening to Czabe's show more than Dukes). 

I hate that with a passion.  Cant stand people monologuing unchallenged, talking to themselves.  I need discussion and multiple ideas and points of view.

It would have to be a show like Czaban, where you get heavy input from the sidekicks.  

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I hate that with a passion.  Cant stand people monologuing unchallenged, talking to themselves.  I need discussion and multiple ideas and points of view.

Lot of people on here disagree with me, but that's what taking calls are for.  I know folks say that "the callers are idiots" but many of them have just as valid of insight as the co-hosts, IMO.  Plus it can be entertaining when the true idiots call in and the hosts argue with them. And it also doesn't mean that a solo host still can't have beat reporters call in to say what's going on with the respective local teams.

And some of these shows just have wastes of time. Czabe's show spent the first few minutes arguing about who screwed up the beginning of the show. I don't need to hear that.  Cooley and Sheehan's "Whattaya Got?" segment often features Cooley blathering on about something irrelevant.  And the Junks are constantly talking over one another. 

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wow.

I know some folks like Bram, but I can’t stand listening to him.

I’m curious what happens on Gameday programming.  I am shocked that they let both Cooley and Doc go.

How many of these guys end up on 106.7?

The Redskins control the game day broadcast and they made a statement saying that the broadcasts would remain the same.

I can't see wjfk taking on many of them, their superior ratings are what made this move happen. Maybe some will get weekend and night shifts, but that's about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wow.

I know some folks like Bram, but I can’t stand listening to him.

I’m curious what happens on Gameday programming.  I am shocked that they let both Cooley and Doc go.

How many of these guys end up on 106.7?

I mean, 980 certainly isnt sentimental.  First they kicked Pollin to the curb, now Doc.  Doc has probably been there for 25 years.

Wow WTF is 980 doing?  The past year+ or so they have really been struggling to keep my attention.  They are always the second choice for me when in the car at any time, except when I go to lunch and Grant/Danny are on.  I'll usually check what Bram is talking about first (even though his nasally voice can be annoying) because Danny is just the worst person on the radio.

The past week I thought the stand ins on 980 were just due to summer travels, then when I heard Chick on there yesterday with BMitch I thought it was just some special appearance or something down at Redskins park.  Funny that CZabe is the only one to not be phased by this, when to me once Andy left and he said the show would only be 20% local, the show has just not been the same and I rarely listen to it.

10 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Lot of people on here disagree with me, but that's what taking calls are for.  I know folks say that "the callers are idiots" but many of them have just as valid of insight as the co-hosts, IMO.  Plus it can be entertaining when the true idiots call in and the hosts argue with them. And it also doesn't mean that a solo host still can't have beat reporters call in to say what's going on with the respective local teams.

And some of these shows just have wastes of time. Czabe's show spent the first few minutes arguing about who screwed up the beginning of the show. I don't need to hear that.  Cooley and Sheehan's "Whattaya Got?" segment often features Cooley blathering on about something irrelevant.  And the Junks are constantly talking over one another. 

If a caller had good takes they'd be the ones hosting the show. As Jim Rome used to say, "Less of you, and more of me, is a good thing." Multiple radio hosts have either given up on the caller format and the lazy ones usually take calls. 

How would a caller have any valid insight if they call into 1067 and demand that "Bryce Harper be traded for Realmuto, and I'll hang up and listen" :rofl89:

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Crazy to me that 106.7 has the better ratings.  I can barely get it to tune in and most of the hosts are terrible.

1067 is flat out awful radio. It is 99% Redskins talk, 1% Nats talk, and 0.5% Caps talk 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Wow WTF is 980 doing?  The past year+ or so they have really been struggling to keep my attention.  They are always the second choice for me when in the car at any time, except when I go to lunch and Grant/Danny are on.  I'll usually check what Bram is talking about first (even though his nasally voice can be annoying) because Danny is just the worst person on the radio.

The past week I thought the stand ins on 980 were just due to summer travels, then when I heard Chick on there yesterday with BMitch I thought it was just some special appearance or something down at Redskins park.  Funny that CZabe is the only one to not be phased by this, when to me once Andy left and he said the show would only be 20% local, the show has just not been the same and I rarely listen to it.

Ohhhh we're on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I think Grant is the most annoying person on the planet with that voice and know it all attitude that he has.

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Ohhhh we're on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I think Grant is the most annoying person on the planet with that voice and know it all attitude that he has.

I can't stand people who think they are funny when they aren't, and Danny thinks he is so funny but he's not even close to being funny.

I've changed the station multiple times during the Beltway Blitz and he's talking to JP Finlay (or someone else) and every time he asks a question, he makes up a new "funny" accronym for JP.

That **** just grinds my gears.

And the whole "winning off the field" that those guys did for about 15 years too long is probably the dumbest segment I've ever heard on radio.  I'm not the biggest Grant fan either though, that show is by far my least favorite show on the radio and why Bram takes precedence over that show.

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Crazy to me that 106.7 has the better ratings.  I can barely get it to tune in and most of the hosts are terrible.

I agree...I can't stand 106.7 and I'm only mildly tempted sometimes if I'm driving back from DC when 980 is airing Inside the Locker Room. For some reason, I can't stand that dynamic and rarely think they bring anything to the table. It has always felt more like "let's get some ex-Redskins in here to yell about how things aren't the same as they were when we played!" But, 980 hasn't seemed biased or anything and the people on it just seem more professional. 106.7 has always felt like a station run by a bunch of guys that could be my friends and me. That's not horrible at times, but I would rather tune in to someone who seems more prepared and isn't just a bunch of dudes shooting from the hip with little expertise or preparation. 

My suggestion would be keeping Sheehan from 7-10am. Then maybe Galdi in the middle of the day. Next seems like it would be Koken/Smoot. I don't love Koken, but agree that he'd bring something that isn't football-focused, so objectively I can acknowledge that it's probably wise. I wouldn't put BMitch with them, because then I think you have the same dynamic with two ex-Skins jawing and some old guy chiming in. Maybe he can partner with one of Sheehan or Galdi on their programs. Then you have Czaben's show. He's grown on me and his dynamic with the other two guys is actually entertaining.