Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

I was just messin' with you guys.  :P

Or is he?!?! :ph34r:

too early to start asking about a nickname for Marcus? 

The Pacifier?  That's what he would be for Danny when his favorite toy (RG III) is taken away. 

Ref drafting the same position over and over the Lions were kinda dumb drafting receiver after receiver.  In the end, they got the best receiver in football.  So who knows how it will play out?

Good

To me as a fan, gambler, and someone who looks at stats and history closely if he is there at 5 I think it makes more sense to draft him then any one else at this point. Been saying that since the draft shaked out. Raiders and Jaguars could trade down but need a partner. Tennessee is smoke screening saying they believe in Mettenberger or they are being honest and won't pick him, if he falls to 5 we need to draft him. Cheaper, Keep Away, Talented, and its one pick not multiple like we have been doing since Syder took over. Lots and lots of options to do with Griffin and Cousins and they will be free agents next year.

Time to welcome in and forget the past, I know some of you are jaded, I know some of you want to not repeat the same mistakes but guys this is the NFL. Me personally I'm bummed about Leonard Hankerson leaving town, and me losing on him but that doesn't mean I think we can ignore drafting a WR. Griffin is in the same boat now with some of you right now and I think if you take the time to review the points, you would consider this if your right now against it. IMO and could be totally 1000% wrong, just makes sense to take him to me.

Also not getting into debates about the draft or expert thoughts, strictly looking at the percentages. One person makes this decision, its up to Scott and will be fine no matter who he drafts. Not sure everyone's seen these things but it helped me make my decision on who I'm rooting for.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-22/nfl-draft-2012-first-round-disappointments

Makes me think if we don't draft a QB we should be drafting offensive linemen, they have a great track record.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Stats about how QBs fair compare to the rounds drafted (We can wait on a QB theory which is pretty much nothing more then an extreme long shot)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340246/article/which-firstround-picks-have-most-staying-power

Answers a question, which first round positions have the most staying power in the league (again plus for offensive linemen)

Bring in the new guy and lets start it up again

NOOOOO!!!! Washington doesn't need to waste their 1st rd. pick on a what if. Marietta is a system QB & that isn't a proven pocket passer & in most cases thy end up being flops. I can only think of 2 running QBs in modern times that were successful, Steve Young & John Elway. If the Redskins draft Marietta it will prove to me that Snyder is still calling the shots.

I'm curious how Dan feels about this. Dan attended RGIII's pro day and eventually became Rob's bff. 

Dan: Robert, come in, we need to talk.

RG3: [Pauses] Is something wrong?

Dan: Sit down.

RG3: [sits] Ok, what?

Dan: I think it's time the organization makes a change.

RG3: Just like that? I still have a year left on my rookie deal.

Dan: Come on Robert, we both know this hasn't been working out.

RG3: It's about Marcus isn't it? You're going to draft him.

Dan: It's not about him. It's not about you. It's about me.

RG3: So you want a new BFF? Don't I return all your calls? Don't I slide you the hookup when we're out at clubs?

Dan: Please don't make this harder than it needs to be, Robert.

RG3: Do you think Marcus is cooler than me? Does he have a national TV ad campaign like me?

Dan: You don't have a national TV ad campaign anymore.

RG3: He can't run like me.

Dan: You can't run like you either.

RG3: I'm fast. I've got my speed back. I'm ready for OTA's.

Dan: It's over, Robert. 

RG3: Mark my words, he's not going to make you happy!

NOOOOO!!!! Washington doesn't need to waste their 1st rd. pick on a what if. Marietta is a system QB & that isn't a proven pocket passer & in most cases thy end up being flops. I can only think of 2 running QBs in modern times that were successful, Steve Young & John Elway. If the Redskins draft Marietta it will prove to me that Snyder is still calling the shots.

Some of you really need to let it go. Snyder is not calling the shots. I haven't given up on.RGIII, but I have a feeling the Gruden and management has and last checked, they're the ones that matter.

Some of you really need to let it go. Snyder is not calling the shots. I haven't given up on.RGIII, but I have a feeling the Gruden and management has and last checked, they're the ones that matter.

You know the sheep can't stop following the herd. How else will they spill their vitriol if Danny Boy isn't around? Best excuse to hate in the history of hating. You're a meanie for not wanting them to do it. ;)

It seems like taking QB's with a Top 5 is such a high risk-high reward situation that it would be excruciating to go through this experience for consecutive QB's, not to mention the added drama we have already had because Cousins was taken in the same draft as Robert.

Can you imagine picking Marcus, turning the page on Robert quickly, and then Marcus ends up not turning out to be a franchise QB, either?  That would be devastating as a franchise

It seems like taking QB's with a Top 5 is such a high risk-high reward situation that it would be excruciating to go through this experience for consecutive QB's, not to mention the added drama we have already had because Cousins was taken in the same draft as Robert.

Can you imagine picking Marcus, turning the page on Robert quickly, and then Marcus ends up not turning out to be a franchise QB, either? That would be devastating as a franchise

Well we've sucked for over 20 years now so that's way more devastating than two QBs being failures.

Well we've sucked for over 20 years now so that's way more devastating than two QBs being failures.

It's a celebrated occurrence among those who love great literature to read something that can make you laugh and cry simultaneously.

On ES, it's actually common.

Can you imagine picking Marcus, turning the page on Robert quickly, and then Marcus ends up not turning out to be a franchise QB, either?  That would be devastating as a franchise

Not really.  MM would not cost us three number 1's and a high two. 

It's funny how everyone is all about the draft picks now but the ones we lost in the RG III trade kinda get swept under the rug.  That hamstrung the team as much as the salary cap penalty.  Maybe moreso.

It's a celebrated occurrence among those who love great literature to read something that can make you laugh and cry simultaneously.

On ES, it's actually common.

The cool thing for me is that I'm only 29 so I don't even know what it's like to be good. I feel far worse for the guys that remember how good we were because you actually have something to miss. It's going to be awesome when we're finally an good team again though.

The cool thing for me is that I'm only 29 so I don't even know what it's like to be good. I feel far worse for the guys that remember how good we were because you actually have something to miss. It's going to be awesome when we're finally an good team again though.

I still believe we will see that day, here, together, amigo.  :)

But I don't have as much waiting time left as you!  :D

I'm 38 so I have a little tread left on the tires. I'm also old enough to remember snapshots of Super XVII and every moment of our other two championship runs. I feel worse for you guys. I have a childhood of memories that I can curl up with during the Siberian cold that's been the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s...

Yes, it's a shame that I can see how far we've fallen, but I'm glad to have 3 championships in the bank on my watch too. I'll never forget how those felt to a wide-eyed kid growing up in this area in the 1980s!

Marcus Mariota would be in the first year of a rookie deal that would offer the team massive flexibility in building the team. Do not underestimate that. Even if RG3 has a good year -- a massive if -- they then have to pay him.

Great post.

And this part will be smack bang in the forefront of a GM's mind.

If Scott likes him, and he's there at 5, the Skins will take him and trade RG3 for whatever they can get (not much). Would be floored if they didn't.

But I don't think he'll be there. Someone will move up. The rookie contract thing for a QB makes the risk worth it.

Archived