Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

After slowly recovering from the first 25:00, i have to say i really enjoyed Iron Fist, being highly skeptical going in. 

For as visceral a reaction as it got, I was expecting much much worse and have seen worse. Noticeably not to the level of the other three productions, but it kept my attention and I saw it through to the end. 

I enjoyed the Defenders as well, but it seemed like everything was on fast forward. Wasn't ready for it to end quite yet. Guess that's what happens when you have to pay so many people

Black Panther looks amazing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I have no idea either which is why I’m worried. 

I know Hardy will be great in it and put in the work. I just hope the writing is up for it 

Maybe they alter the storyline a bit and swap Spider-Man for Carnage? I have no idea what the plot is, other than my knowledge of the Symbiote storyline from the comics.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thor is gonna be some tits.  99% on rotten tomatoes so far.  Taika Waititi is a beast.

Thor is going to be a joke. Literally. Check out this audience review from the SuperHeroHype board:

"Ultimately, it's like most of the newer Marvel movies; slick but shallow, doesn't take it self seriously, and full of obligatory CGI fight scenes with no real impact. Ragnarok basically throws in all the great stuff from the comics that haven't been used yet, pays lip service to them, and then takes the piss out of the whole thing. Hulk fighting Thor? Has no impact because it's all so comedic. It's just empty spectacle. The whole movie is like that.

So much here is wasted. Heimdall (Idris Elba looks like he didn't even want to be there). Cate Blanchett. Odin. Skurge. The Fenris Wolf. Surtur. Planet Hulk. The whole Ragnarok myth is reduced to not very much. All sacrificed at the alter of constant, silly gags."

Ouch. And there dozens of more reviews like that.

One reviewer even said the movie should have been called "Ragnarok: The End of Thor"!

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I hear that Thor is legit.  We shall see.  

I hear the same. I havent really heard too many people say it wasnt at least entertaining.

All the clips and trailers make it seem like an uproarious screwball comedy tho.  A funny one, but a comedy nonetheless.  

Edited by justice98

22 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I hear the same. I havent really heard too many people say it wasnt at least entertaining.

All the clips and trailers make it seem like an uproarious screwball comedy tho.  A funny one, but a comedy nonetheless.  

I get the feeling that it is a middling movie (not good not bad) with lots of comedy. Not my thing, I'll pass. 

Gonna see Thor today at 4:10. So excited for my favorite Marvel character. Well, tied with Cap anyway. I still think that the first Thor was one of the best movies in the line. It had some serious character themes: the arrogant learning humility, sacrifice for others, etc.

Also been resisting all urges to read about its plot or details. Gonna call it here though: Hela's gonna have the Soul Gem. I bet I'm right.

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 8:49 AM, justice98 said:

Action-Adventure Comedy.  The fusion of two genres.  It's perfect for Thor because he was originally a fun and swashbuckling comic.  He doesn't have limits on his powers like the other heroes, so the kind of tension and realism that makes Iron Man and Captain America gripping won't work for him.  So you can go two routes: make a tight-assed, pretentious, joyless, boring piece of crap like DC did with their Superman movies, or you can make a movie that's fun and reflects the spirit of Stan Lee.

I think Taika Waititi was an inspired choice to direct this movie.  Marvel Studios hasn't always made the best choices about who to direct their properties.  I liked Kenneth Branagh's work on the first one, but I think they found the right guy for Thor now.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Action-Adventure Comedy.  The fusion of two genres.  It's perfect for Thor because he was originally a fun and swashbuckling comic.  He doesn't have limits on his powers like the other heroes, so the kind of tension and realism that makes Iron Man and Captain America gripping won't work for him.  So you can go two routes: make a tight-assed, pretentious, joyless, boring piece of crap like DC did with their Superman movies, or you can make a movie that's fun and reflects the spirit of Stan Lee.

I think Taika Waititi was an inspired choice to direct this movie.  Marvel Studios hasn't always made the best choices about who to direct their properties.  I liked Kenneth Branagh's work on the first one, but I think they found the right guy for Thor now.

This is the one reason I might have interest in catching this movie at some point. I'm interested in this young director's take. But you have to understand people's trepidation at seeing another Thor. Dark World was more boring than a Masterpiece Theatre marathon on PBS. It was beyond awful.

I'm waiting to gauge the audience reviews. If they are overwhemlingly positive, I'm there.  

41 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

This is the one reason I might have interest in catching this movie at some point. I'm interested in this young director's take. But you have to understand people's trepidation at seeing another Thor. Dark World was more boring than a Masterpiece Theatre marathon on PBS. It was beyond awful.

I'm waiting to gauge the audience reviews. If they are overwhemlingly positive, I'm there.  

I saw it last night.  It's nothing like Thor: The Dark World.  Best way for me to describe it is a Saturday morning cartoon come to life.  Especially when Hulk is talking.  It's by far the most dialogue he's had in the MCU and he's like the Hulk in the cartoon which I thought worked.  Some people will think Thor is a little too happy-go-lucky and won't like the changes they made to his character but I think mcqueen brings up some good points about Superman in DC.  

Taika Waititi's strength is comedy and interactions between characters.  Those elements play out really well.  But I think he should have reigned it in a bit.  At some points the film did feel like a parody of itself.  

21 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I liked it.  It was funny, not too serious. Far better than the last one.  Only saw the first credit scene though,  Give Thor 3 a B.

I really liked it. I give it a B+. I had to cap it there since I felt that it took the comedy too far sometimes. Such as the hair cutting or the bouncy ball scene. Not that they weren't funny, just didn't add anything. Loved Goldblume and Blanchette.