steve09ru

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

Recommended Posts

I have the planks soaking right now just in case she wants to try that method.  I can't believe how big these pieces of salmon are though, I should have just gotten one lol.  I didn't realize there was more folded under.  They are like 1.2lbs each.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of off topic, but am I the only one who gets really annoyed by people who pronounce the L in salmon

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another quick question about cooking salmon - do you let it sit out for like 30 minutes before cooking to get to room temp like you do with other meats?  Or just go straight to grill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little late to the party, but we usually use a marinade that is made up of soy sauce, honey, ginger and orange juice (garlic and red pepper flakes optional - we usually leave those two ingredients out) on our salmon.  Toss the salmon in the marinade for as long as we can.  We always use cedar planks too to grill it on.  Never disappoints.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, purbeast said:

Another quick question about cooking salmon - do you let it sit out for like 30 minutes before cooking to get to room temp like you do with other meats?  Or just go straight to grill?

 

This is going to be more of a personal preference type question.  Some say never to toss it right onto the grill straight out of the fridge as it may cook faster on the outside than the inside.  Me personally, I would go 5-10 mins, no more than 15 mins leaving it out at room temp.  

 

Edit:  updated the times.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I have the planks soaking right now just in case she wants to try that method.  I can't believe how big these pieces of salmon are though, I should have just gotten one lol.  I didn't realize there was more folded under.  They are like 1.2lbs each.  

Yeah, we usually split a big one, same with bakers or sweet potatoes. 

I use the Longhorn recipe, minus the bourbon (unless I get one already marinated that way at Publix)...brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic, ground pepper. I bake it for 10 minutes @ 350, then broil for 2. Ends up still medium on the inside. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah so I crushed those salmon filets on the grill they turned out SSSSSOOOO good.

 

I got the grill to like 450 or so and put them on skin side down and kept the top open for like 5 minutes that way.  Then I shut the top for about 3 minutes (these first 2 steps I saw from a recipe) and then it wasn't hot enough so I flipped them so that I could get some char on the non-skin side.  I cooked them for about 3-4 more minutes that way and took them off.  The temp when I took them off was about 125 and they both got up to 131 as the high temp.

 

They were cooked just about perfect for the way we like it.  And my wife loved the crisp skin.  I am not a big fan of it so I ate just the fish.  I was surprised I finished the whole 1.2lb piece lol, although the skin weighed more than I thought it did (as I felt it after I ate everything else).  The marinade was very good too.  All in all it turned out great. 

 

Also, the iGrill thermometer slipped out pretty easily of the salmon as I moved it around.  I never had that problem with beef or pork but I feel a spot checking thermometer may be easier for salmon next time.

 

My wife took a pic of her plate but I didn't get a pic of the inside or skin side.  The skin side was pretty charred but it tasted pretty good when I had a piece of it.  I dunno I just have this mental block eating fish skin lol.  My wife only ate 1/2 of hers and as you can see, it nearly takes up the whole plate lol.

 

IMG_7887.thumb.jpeg.89ed619d71f2d768168dc203d437f324.jpeg

 

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!!! Nothing like a great grilled meal.  Just keep reading and asking then tweak it the way you like it.  That’s what really matters.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you use planks, make sure to give them a good soak first.  Otherwise they'll, you know, ignite.  

Agreed

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah so I crushed those salmon filets on the grill they turned out SSSSSOOOO good.

 

I got the grill to like 450 or so and put them on skin side down and kept the top open for like 5 minutes that way.  Then I shut the top for about 3 minutes (these first 2 steps I saw from a recipe) and then it wasn't hot enough so I flipped them so that I could get some char on the non-skin side.  I cooked them for about 3-4 more minutes that way and took them off.  The temp when I took them off was about 125 and they both got up to 131 as the high temp.

 

They were cooked just about perfect for the way we like it.  And my wife loved the crisp skin.  I am not a big fan of it so I ate just the fish.  I was surprised I finished the whole 1.2lb piece lol, although the skin weighed more than I thought it did (as I felt it after I ate everything else).  The marinade was very good too.  All in all it turned out great. 

 

Also, the iGrill thermometer slipped out pretty easily of the salmon as I moved it around.  I never had that problem with beef or pork but I feel a spot checking thermometer may be easier for salmon next time.

 

My wife took a pic of her plate but I didn't get a pic of the inside or skin side.  The skin side was pretty charred but it tasted pretty good when I had a piece of it.  I dunno I just have this mental block eating fish skin lol.  My wife only ate 1/2 of hers and as you can see, it nearly takes up the whole plate lol.

 

IMG_7887.thumb.jpeg.89ed619d71f2d768168dc203d437f324.jpeg

 

**** yeah! Great job! Happy Birthday to Mrs Purbeast!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job @purbeast!! Looks awesome! You’re doing it right, cook what YOU like and you won’t go wrong. Solicit advice, but in the end the decision is yours. 

BTW, asparagus is my all time fave summer veg! Love it on the grill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually did not cook the asparagus on the grill they were stove top in a sauce pan.  I was focusing on not f'ing up the fish so I did those inside lol.

 

The worst part about asparagus is when you go to take a piss like 3 hours later and are like 'WTF is that smell?? OOOOH YEAH!!!'

 

I do still want to try the cedar plank method though.  I could definitely smell the aroma coming off of them yesterday when I took them out of the packet, and even more so after I had soaked them.  Next time I cook salmon on the grill I will give that a go, or maybe I will try another type of fish on the cedar plank.  I plan to do go rockfishing this year at some point so if I get some nice pieces of meat from there, I'll definitely try those on the cedar plank too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I actually did not cook the asparagus on the grill they were stove top in a sauce pan.  I was focusing on not f'ing up the fish so I did those inside lol.

 

The worst part about asparagus is when you go to take a piss like 3 hours later and are like 'WTF is that smell?? OOOOH YEAH!!!'

 

I do still want to try the cedar plank method though.  I could definitely smell the aroma coming off of them yesterday when I took them out of the packet, and even more so after I had soaked them.  Next time I cook salmon on the grill I will give that a go, or maybe I will try another type of fish on the cedar plank.  I plan to do go rockfishing this year at some point so if I get some nice pieces of meat from there, I'll definitely try those on the cedar plank too.

LoL! @ the asparagus!!! ...strong coffee too.

 

We were in Charleston a week ago, and I bought twp fresh grouper and two black sea bass. Frozen vac-seal right now. I’m trying to figure out how I want to cook them. I’ve got plenty of cedar planks, but then roasting looks good but I want to make sure I get some crispiness. A lot of folks fry them, but I think that leeches flavor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many times can you use the cedar planks before you have to toss them? 

 

I'm assuming you get more than 1 use out of them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

How many times can you use the cedar planks before you have to toss them? 

 

I'm assuming you get more than 1 use out of them...

1 and done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

1 and done

Oh wow okay I had no clue.  I figured you could use em till they like wore away.  Well **** I soaked them yesterday but did not use them, hope that didn't screw anything up with them!  They didn't seem warped or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll be fine. 

 

@AsburySkinsFan assuming they aren't charred to the point of imparting a bitter flavor, what's the reasoning behind not reusing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

They'll be fine. 

 

@AsburySkinsFan assuming they aren't charred to the point of imparting a bitter flavor, what's the reasoning behind not reusing?

For me it’s about storage, I don’t use them often enough to refrigerate and store, but with the fish juices etc that soak into them I can’t imagine them molding then reusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they'd mold if you dried them out after use. You can also microwave wooden items like cutting boards to kill bacteria and such. 

 

To each his own though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

They'll be fine. 

 

@AsburySkinsFan assuming they aren't charred to the point of imparting a bitter flavor, what's the reasoning behind not reusing?

 

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

1 and done

Nope, they're good, as long as they're not too charred.  Even if charred, you can salvage what's left by busting it up into small pieces, then you can put them in heavy duty foil packs, poke a few holes in them and toss over one of the burners. You can get some nice cedar smoke flavor.

Shrimp is really good on the planks too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I cook salmon on the grill I like to char the skin side of the filet because I actually like the flavor of it and it almost is like eating a potato chip. Got to be careful about not over cooking the salmon doing it or if you have a good filet knife you can remove the salmon right off of the fatty skin and then cook both sides of the skin.

 

Also, any recipes or marinades calling for orange juice, another trick to get even more powerful citrus?  Shred some of the fruits rind or "zest" into the marinade.  It was recommended to me once and I never don't do that now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah zest is great because the skin of the fruit has oily compounds that contain a lot of those citrusy aromas.  Best thing to do is to use a small grater like a microplane to zest them.  If you start getting all the way down to the white part underneath the skin it can get bitter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

 

Nope, they're good, as long as they're not too charred.  Even if charred, you can salvage what's left by busting it up into small pieces, then you can put them in heavy duty foil packs, poke a few holes in them and toss over one of the burners. You can get some nice cedar smoke flavor.

Shrimp is really good on the planks too

They may be good, but I just can't do it. 

I haven't tried using them as smoking chips though, might give that a go, but I can't reuse them for food. *gag*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

They may be good, but I just can't do it. 

I haven't tried using them as smoking chips though, might give that a go, but I can't reuse them for food. *gag*

Scrub it good and reuse for shell-on shrimp. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.