Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

Watching their propaganda is hilarious. They stole footage from Call Of Duty and made it into a propaganda video for Youtube.

:ols: Yeah I saw that on cracked and it had me laughing like crazy. Its so weird that all of their propaganda is just THAT bad. You'd think they would have the resources to either train people or to hire someone outside who had more than a 3rd grader's knowledge of video editing and sense of aesthetics. Maybe they really couldn't care less what the rest of the world thinks since most of that is just for their populace anyway. That or they really do believe they are making top notch, subversive propaganda films but nobody who has seen them internally is dumb enough to tell the higher ups that they are terrible.

So, is it safe to say that the North Korean gov't is a bit disconnected from reality? I know its a propaganda video, but the stupidity involved here is mind boggling. Do they really expect someone to be fooled by this? Do they think that little of their citizens? Is communication in NK so poor that this is all the people will ever get to see?

Reminds me of the Truman Show. Then again, this could turn into one of those philosophical discussions about what is real and what isn't. It's all perception, right, so for all I know I'm the one being hoodwinked. Or are there just some really dumb people in NK who will fall for this? What level of oppression would be necessary for a rational person to believe this ****?

So, is it safe to say that the North Korean gov't is a bit disconnected from reality? I know its a propaganda video, but the stupidity involved here is mind boggling. Do they really expect someone to be fooled by this? Do they think that little of their citizens? Is communication in NK so poor that this is all the people will ever get to see?

Reminds me of the Truman Show. Then again, this could turn into one of those philosophical discussions about what is real and what isn't. It's all perception, right, so for all I know I'm the one being hoodwinked. Or are there just some really dumb people in NK who will fall for this? What level of oppression would be necessary for a rational person to believe this ****?

60 years of being cut off from the rest of the world puts them so far behind that what we take for granted is still sci-fi tech to the average citizen.Generations have grown up with no knowledge except what s fed to them by the state.

~Bang

60 years of being cut off from the rest of the world puts them so far behind that what we take for granted is still sci-fi tech to the average citizen.Generations have grown up with no knowledge except what s fed to them by the state.

~Bang

So there's no biological mechanism to detect BS? I find that pretty difficult to believe, but then again I guess its a matter of perspective.

So there's no biological mechanism to detect BS? I find that pretty difficult to believe, but then again I guess its a matter of perspective.

The thing it, t's not BS to you when you've accepted it to be true for decades, everyone around you also accepts it, and you have outside sources to give you a different perspective.

The thing it, t's not BS to you when you've accepted it to be true for decades, everyone around you also accepts it, and you have outside sources to give you a different perspective.

That, and the slightest voicing of such thoughts results in your family's destruction.

Literally,, i think Un believes that dissension punishments are meted out on the entire family, the previous generation and the next two.

In our culture we're conditioned to sniff for bull****.. in theirs, that instinct is suicidal.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I remember watching that special by Lisa Ling awhile back when she went there. Pretty sad.

I watched that as well. A really interesting documentary that gives you a feel of just how cut off from the rest of the world they really are. I remember one part where during a conversation she asked one of the monitors that was with them if it was possible for Kim Jong il to ever be wrong. He honestly just didn't seem to even understand what she meant; it was like she was speaking a different language. It might have been acting but it really didn't look like it...the guy seemed genuinely bewildered and uncomprehending at the question.

There is a great documentaryabout N Korea on Netflix that documents an eye surgeon who donates his time around the world to help the underpriviliged to see. Its a great insight to how warped their society is. To the point that the first words out these patients mouths after having their bandages removed and seeing for the first times in years were to thank their Dear Leader for their sight and pledge to use it to fight Americans.

I watched that as well. A really interesting documentary that gives you a feel of just how cut off from the rest of the world they really are. I remember one part where during a conversation she asked one of the monitors that was with them if it was possible for Kim Jong il to ever be wrong. He honestly just didn't seem to even understand what she meant; it was like she was speaking a different language. It might have been acting but it really didn't look like it...the guy seemed genuinely bewildered and uncomprehending at the question.

I remember that one part where the little girl is getting life saving eye surgery from a doctor, and afterwards, her mother pretty much ignores the doctors and immediately praises Kim Jong Il, and so does the daughter (later on). It really is pretty sad that even with all of the technological advancements made in the world today, specifically relating to history, that people can get away with stuff like this.

---------- Post added April-1st-2013 at 10:27 PM ----------

There is a great documentaryabout N Korea on Netflix that documents an eye surgeon who donates his time around the world to help the underpriviliged to see. Its a great insight to how warped their society is. To the point that the first words out these patients mouths after having their bandages removed and seeing for the first times in years were to thank their Dear Leader for their sight and pledge to use it to fight Americans.

Hmm, you beat me to it. I wonder if he was the same guy that was shown in the Ling documentary.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

North Korea is the only nation that can stage a war for its people through strictly closed media, defeat the enemy, declare victory, and proclaim its Leader a hero, all without firing a shot. Big Head Littleman mayactually pull this off.

It's almost like they're going through a checklist.

Next up, they will perform another rocket test. Then, they will shell a small island. Then, Kim Jong Un will hold his breath until he turns blue

And we'll give them money.

Cool, PK, that's the one I wanted but every version I found had a big f-bomb right in the beginning and I don't do video editing.

TK often makes fun of my limited PC skills :D

(lack of interest, really)

Speaking of limited PC skills, I learned a really cool trick today.

Try pressing CTRL+ W after you write a post. It will do an auto-spellcheck and then if there are no errors, it will post to the thread.

In other news, I heard North Korea threatened war again.

And we'll give them money.

Nah, mostly we give them surplus grain (with the nice side effect for grain producers of propping up grain prices in this country). If North Korea doesn't get that grain, we have to find somewhere else to dump it.

Usually we dump it in Africa, which ensures that local African farmers can't make a profit (no one can compete with free stuff), which ensures that the farmers will go out of business, which ensures that Africa will have another famine, which ensures that we can send more grain there and keep our grain prices propped up. It's just business. :)

Edited by Predicto