Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

https://twitter.com/mpoppel

BREAKING -- Yonhap: South Korean military issues 'Jindogae' alert near border with N. Korea in Hwacheon

8:34 PM

As part of Jindogae alert declared by S. Korea, military and police will join forces and raise joint readiness

8:36 PM

Chosun Ilbo newspaper says S. Korea military alert was issued after some sort of suspicious object near border fence

8:44 PM

Yonhap: S. Korean soldier threw grenade at unidentified object near border fence, causing an explosion. Nothing found.

9:13 PM

Edited by visionary

I hope not. What a waste of lives on both sides that would be. North Korea is imploding as it is, what do they think they'll gain by going to war?

They have nothing to lose, why wouldn't they go to war? That's what I'm wondering. Why not. Not why.

I kind of wish this would be over with so SK and USA can deliver a swift ass-kicking and shut those haters up

Also would do good for North Korea people as they'd actually get rights and a government that gives a damn

Of course NK knows that they'd get romped so this is likely all rhetoric...but if they want to go they're going to get beat up bad. It'd be suicide for their regime.

Maybe Obama can make peace with Eastwood; so Clint can say "Make My Day".

I am all for war here becaue it will be a quick one. The NK regime will be wiped out immediately and Korea will be one again.

I figure this is where this will be heading. The kid probably has a tenuous hold on power and is doing all this to show who's boss. Of course, when he actually launches a missile at SK or at our troops in SK or even try to his US interests in the pacific; it will be all over for him.

I still can't help feeling like they're trying to get some sort of concession from all this.

But at this point, I don't know what or how much farther they can push things without following through.

I've kind of felt the same way for awhile now. It definitely feels like put up or shut up time.

Allegations are NK may be posturing to make Kim look like a big man and get the support of military

But then you see more and more rhetoric and troop movements

Should be noted that NK has cut the "line" with SK in the past, but you get a different feeling about this time. Really feels like **** is about to go down. And if it does go down, North Korea is going to get walloped. Leave no doubt about that. So they'd be pretty damn stupid to end their reign of control.

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but should we be worried that China backs North Korea? I really do not have enough knowledge on these subjects even though I read about them. I could never get into an intelligent debate about world matters.

Nope. China wants to avoid war at all costs. Their two major concerns are that 1) War breaks out and 20 million North Korean refugees coming fleeing into their country and 2) A reunified Korea means a US ally that much closer to their country's border. China has long been a supporter of NK but they are getting fed up as well. They showed this recently by joining us on imposing tougher sanctions against NK. They'll do everything they possibly can to talk some sense into dough boy and his minions to avoid war.

Edited by LEED3D

They have nothing to lose, why wouldn't they go to war? That's what I'm wondering. Why not. Not why.

An interesting and valid concern. What scares me is that the boy dictator has been raised to believe the bull **** he talking. Then there is that whole lower aversion to risk taking in young adults thing.

This kid is playing a very dangerous game. He may not be able to win but he sure as heel could end up killing a whole lot of people.

Nope. China wants to avoid war at all costs. Their two major concerns are that 1) War breaks out and 20 million North Korean refugees coming fleeing into their country and 2) A reunified Korea means a US ally that much closer to their country's border. China has long been a supporter of NK but they are getting fed up as well. They showed this recently by joining us on imposing tougher sanctions against NK. They'll do everything they possibly can to talk some sense into dough boy and his minions to avoid war.

I just wanted to say, thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mass-rally-pyongyang-support-kim-jong-un

Mass rally in Pyongyang in support of Kim Jong Un

Thousands of North Koreans have turned out for a mass rally at the main square in Pyongyang in support of their leader's call to arms.

Chanting "Death to the U.S. imperialists" and "Sweep away the U.S. aggressors," soldiers and students marched through Kim Il Sung Square in downtown Pyongyang on Friday during a 90-minute rally.

State media reported early Friday that leader Kim Jong Un called an emergency military meeting to order the army's rocket unit to prepare to strike the U.S. and South Korea in case of a "reckless provocation" by Washington or Seoul.

Allegations are NK may be posturing to make Kim look like a big man and get the support of military

But then you see more and more rhetoric and troop movements

Should be noted that NK has cut the "line" with SK in the past, but you get a different feeling about this time. Really feels like **** is about to go down. And if it does go down, North Korea is going to get walloped. Leave no doubt about that. So they'd be pretty damn stupid to end their reign of control.

I dunno, man. I realize that even the boy who cried wolf eventually ran into a wolf, but... this is the country with the single longest record of crying wolf in modern history.

Somebody's done his homework. One Internet Cookie for you, sir.

ngbbs4b4bfe5a0205b.jpg

By the way, there are also some bigwigs in China who haven't exactly made it difficult to figure out that they value the large amount of trade that China does with South Korea way more than the supposed ideological brotherhood (which doesn't really even exist anymore) that the Chinese government shares with North Korea's. Also, trade in the entire region would be massively disrupted if another war broke out. And on top of that, if China tried to help NK in any way, it would probably instantly lose many of the trade partnerships it's developed with every other major economy, with the possible exception of Russia.

In other words, everyone (other than the people of North Korea, unfortunately) has a rather long list of reasons to maintain the status quo.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/29/us-korea-north-confrontation-idUSBRE92S03420130329

As U.S. hardens line on North Korea, South may pay

Washington's decision to fly B-52 and stealth bomber missions over Korea this week in a warning to Pyongyang risks pushing the North into staging an attack on the South just as its threats may have been on the cusp of dying down.

New leaders in Seoul, Beijing and most importantly, an untested 30-year-old in Pyongyang who has to prove he is capable of facing down a perceived threat from the United States, have raised the stakes in a month-long standoff that risks flaring into a conflict.

"It seems that Kim Jong-un is in the driving seat of a train that has been taken on a joyride," said Lee Min-yong, North Korea expert at Sookmyung Women's University in Seoul.

With the looming April 15 celebrations to commemorate the birthday of North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, the grandfather of the current ruler, and large chunks of North Korea's peasant army due to head to farms for spring planting, the crisis may have been lurching to a close before the American bombers' flights on Thursday.

Edited by visionary