Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '10-'11 Thread [Offseason Discussion]

Sticksboi05

two more players to watch: Perreault and Johannson. One or both of them will likely be playing up with the big boys this year and both have shown flashes of playmaking talent at center. Kuznetsov and Eakin are two players not likely to play in Washington but are really talented and could make a surprise roster appearance; not likely, but I wouldn't count them completely out (Eakin is only 19 so he has to return to Juniors rather than Hershey if he doesn't make the team).

McPhee was on with LaVar and Dukes yesterday. Interesting interview. Said he felt the main reason the Caps lost in the playoffs was due to a hot goalie and that the Caps outplayed Montreal overall, which is a big reason why he didn't want to make any changes.

I don't know if you'd consider it a key loss, but Belanger is gone I believe. I think he was upset about it too as he felt there was a verbal agreement in place between he and the organization.

I don't know if you'd consider it a key loss, but Belanger is gone I believe. I think he was upset about it too as he felt there was a verbal agreement in place between he and the organization.

yeah, he's in Phoenix. Someone needs to step up as the 2nd line center. Flash is gonna get the first crack at it. Hopefully he does better than he did in the playoffs

Very Very excited for the new season....Im hoping we can finally crack that glass ceiling and go deep in the playoffs.

I do not much about the new arrivals so I am interested in seeing how they fit into the team dynamic. What I really think we need is an enforcer type on defense. When we had Brasher I felt like teams feared him, and in a sense feard us. Now I feel like the style of the team is just outscore the other team play very little defense and bank on good goalie play to win. Our best defensive player is really a scorer in a defensemans body.

In order to get it done we have to maintain our high offense yet get alot more physical and make teams fear coming across that blue line. Either way hockey is awesome and I hope to make it up to Verizon center to watch a few games this year, but I will watch them all on CSN.

Neuvirth has signed an extension, so we now have our two young goalies pretty well locked up for the foreseeable future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5603114

Washington Capitals goalie Michal Neuvirth has signed a two-year contract extension that will go into effect in 2011-12 and pay him $1.15 million annually.

Neuvirth, 22, was scheduled to become a restricted free agent at the end of this season.

Neuvirth, who led the Capitals' AHL Hershey team to two straight Calder Cup titles, is challenging Semyon Varlamov for the starting goaltender job.

Neuvirth was 9-4 last season with a 2.75 goals-against average and no shutouts, getting playing time when Varlamov and Jose Theodore were injured.

Varlamov was 15-4 with a 2.55 GAA and two shutouts in 23 starts.

"We're really high on him. We're high on both of our goaltenders," Capitals general manager George McPhee said Tuesday. "We've been waiting for this time because we think we drafted two outstanding goaltenders and they're ready to play."

:ols:

You certainly didn't waste any time.

Certainly excited about the season, but unless some serious changes are made we're going to see another early playoff exit :(

Damn, 1st post of the new year and you post this negative BS? At least wait until the season starts to start complaining. Damn Washington fans are too negative. LETS GO CAPS!!

Is this the right thread for Flyers fans to make fun of the Caps?

I'll be back -- the season doesn't start until the playoffs.

Wrong. You are in the right thread, but it's the thread where we make the Flyers our ******es once again. HAHA. Come on in and take an ass whooping.

Very Very excited for the new season....Im hoping we can finally crack that glass ceiling and go deep in the playoffs.

I do not much about the new arrivals so I am interested in seeing how they fit into the team dynamic. What I really think we need is an enforcer type on defense. When we had Brasher I felt like teams feared him, and in a sense feard us. Now I feel like the style of the team is just outscore the other team play very little defense and bank on good goalie play to win. Our best defensive player is really a scorer in a defensemans body.

In order to get it done we have to maintain our high offense yet get alot more physical and make teams fear coming across that blue line. Either way hockey is awesome and I hope to make it up to Verizon center to watch a few games this year, but I will watch them all on CSN.

When Brash was here, we had (and still hvae) Erskine on defense. We now have DJ King to fill that void left when Brash went to NY....I don't think you mean an "enforcer" by way of dropping the gloves....we need a physical presence on the blue-line, and someone who takes no issue in clearning out folks in front of the net. Erskine will do that, but he's a liability because of his lack of mobility. There are a lot of question marks IMO with our defense...the physical aspect of the game is something that has always worried me. The Shea Webers, Chris Prongers, etc of the NHL don't grow on trees....I hope that John Carlson can add a little bit of a physical edge to his game. Alzner is in that Schultz/Poti mold from what I've seen of him. Fundamentally sound, but isn't going to intimidate anyone. We'll see how it plays out....but I'm a little bit skeptical of the defensive group.

When Brash was here, we had (and still hvae) Erskine on defense. We now have DJ King to fill that void left when Brash went to NY....I don't think you mean an "enforcer" by way of dropping the gloves....we need a physical presence on the blue-line, and someone who takes no issue in clearning out folks in front of the net. Erskine will do that, but he's a liability because of his lack of mobility. There are a lot of question marks IMO with our defense...the physical aspect of the game is something that has always worried me. The Shea Webers, Chris Prongers, etc of the NHL don't grow on trees....I hope that John Carlson can add a little bit of a physical edge to his game. Alzner is in that Schultz/Poti mold from what I've seen of him. Fundamentally sound, but isn't going to intimidate anyone. We'll see how it plays out....but I'm a little bit skeptical of the defensive group.

Yea thats exactly what I mean....Yea Brasher would drop the gloves but he would also get physical on the ice, deliver big hits etc. I agree that our defense needs some shoring up....hopefully Varly can play lights out this year and it wont matter.

Still very excited for the season.

Damn, 1st post of the new year and you post this negative BS? At least wait until the season starts to start complaining. Damn Washington fans are too negative. LETS GO CAPS!!

Dude.

I'm 22.

DC Sports = Failure in my lifetime.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a championship from the Redskins/Caps/Wizards but I'm bothered by the lack of activity over the offseason.

I'll be here, rooting all year long and rocking the red...begging for a miracle.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Archived