Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '10-'11 Thread [Offseason Discussion]

Sticksboi05

Me and my wife's anniversary is this coming wednesday, and when checking the mail today, there was a envelope from the Capitals to her...of course I asked her what it was and she didn't say anything. So I asked her again a short time later and she said "well there's no hiding it now, open it, its your anniversary gift"

She bought me 2 autograph passes for this saturday Capitals Convention, saaawwweeet!!! LETS GO CAPS! from the looks of it, there is going to be all kinds of cool stuff, never been to one of these before! http://capitals.nhl.com/v2/ext/Con_Schedule-4.pdf Think I'll wear my Bondra Jersey and have Peter sign it, w00t

Capitals just signed Matt Hendricks to a 1 year deal as a forward. He was the one who scored 3 goals in their preseason game against Columbus, so it seems like a solid pick up!

We'll see. He's supposed to be a more gritty player, I think, which he showed in the following preseason game. Its a two-way contract, so he may wind up in Hershey.

I'm really interested in the battle for #3 center. Johansson has a lot of talent and is getting acclimated to North American hockey. I haven't seen him since rookie camp scrimmage where he was good but not stand-out great as he was still used to defense-first Swedish hockey.

Perreault we saw last year is a speedy, shifty dude who can make scrubs like Sloan look like NHL players with some amazing passes. It amazes me how well he moves out there on the ice, he's gotta be the most agile player on the team.

Eakin is a kid I'd really like to see more of. He really caught my eye in rookie camp as someone with some real talent. Its just too bad he's so young that he'll be forced to play in Juniors if he doesn't make the Capitals roster. It kinda makes me pull for him to make the team so that if something does happen to one of our centers, I'll feel safe knowing we still have Johannson and Perreault in Hershey.

Who's our 2nd-line center? (I know Backstrom's the 1st-line C :pfft: ).

Fleischmann seems to have that spot taken. He was a center before he came to Washington, and he actually played center during our huge win streak last season. He's not my first choice at center from what I saw last season, but he did have flashes. Being stuffed on the wing so long, maybe he was just rusty for the position and he'll have a better showing this season. Worst comes to worst, we can promote a young center to 2nd line if need be. Backstrom took over for #1 center part way through his rookie season, so it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world having a young talented center playing 2nd line.

I've been saying Flash was out of position. He's like alot of Europeans who don't like contact along the boards. He gets alot of crap in here from you guys, but maybe moving to center will be better for him. He's a pretty good passer and maybe changing his role is just what he needed. I like Perrault at 3rd line center. He needs to play up on the big club. He shows alot of energy. And I'm assuming Gordon will play 4th line center?

I've been saying Flash was out of position. He's like alot of Europeans who don't like contact along the boards. He gets alot of crap in here from you guys, but maybe moving to center will be better for him. He's a pretty good passer and maybe changing his role is just what he needed. I like Perrault at 3rd line center. He needs to play up on the big club. He shows alot of energy. And I'm assuming Gordon will play 4th line center?

We have so many options at 4th line its not even funny. Boyd Gordon, David Steckel, and Matt Hendricks should all be capable of holding down that position. We've got guys in Hershey that would do just fine there as well; Jay Beagle comes to mind.

Eakin's been sent down to Juniors, so that leaves the 3rd center spot for Perreault or Johannson, which was the battle I was expecting from the start. I think either of them should be solid NHL players. Johansson may have the upper hand because he's got a bit bigger of a frame, which may be more suited to a 3rd line role, but then again, he's getting acclimated to the more physical forechecking North-American style hockey, so Perreault may have him there.

Archived