Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '10-'11 Thread [Offseason Discussion]

Sticksboi05

Dude.

I'm 22.

DC Sports = Failure in my lifetime.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a championship from the Redskins/Caps/Wizards but I'm bothered by the lack of activity over the offseason.

I'll be here, rooting all year long and rocking the red...begging for a miracle.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

I understand, but let's let them get on the ice before we start complaining.

GMGM still did NOTHING to address the defense which pisses me off.

Scanning the defensemen available (free agents) there wasn't much out there. I wish he could have made a trade, but what team is willing to give up a good defensive defenseman? I'd look to see a move before the trade deadline for a top defensive defenseman.

Having Alzner and Carlson up permanently is certainly an upgrade over what we had last year (Morrisonn, Sloan, etc) but yea, would've been nice to see even a second pair defenseman brought in.

They will be an upgrade and each got alot of playing time last year to know what it takes at this level. I'd change the pairings and put Poti with Green and move Sarge with another pairing.

I don't know jack about hockey, so all I'm gonna say is "Score more goals than the other team, Caps!"

You should really learn the game. Once you know what's going on, it makes it that much more exciting, kind of like the strategies in football.

I'm not gonna claim to be a hockey expert or anything, but I believe some people look at this team with a football mentality. Where what you see is what you get. If your OLine or WRs struggle, only chance to improve is to get someone from somewhere else. Either thru a trade or FA. We cant ignore the fact that we have a highly successful minor league system, loaded with young prospects. Just cause we dont see upgrades made doesn't mean they arent there.

Despite what some people say, winning the regular season is a HUGE accomplishment. Of course I'd rather squeak into the playoffs and win the Cup then lose first round after winning the President. But I think I'd rather be the champion of the 82 game season than go deep into the playoffs without a cup.

No it's not. Not when you play in the Southeast. 121 points means nothing. The Cup is the only thing that would = a successful season at this point.

No it's not. Not when you play in the Southeast. 121 points means nothing. The Cup is the only thing that would = a successful season at this point.

I'm not going to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure we had a damn good record against the other top teams last year. And saying that having the best record in the league (by a fairly large margin) isn't a big accomplishment is pretty lame.

Obviously the Cup is priority numero uno, but I wouldn't mind snagging the President's Trophy on the way there.

Honestly, I'll be happy w. an ECF berth. As long as this team takes the steps in the right direction, I'm ok. They need to figure out what it takes to win in the playoffs and make a deep run. When the playoffs roll around, the Caps need to do what it takes to NOT have their series go 7 games. They need to learn to close out other teams in 5/6 games so they can take advantage of the odd (extra) couple of days for rest between series. Getting to the Stanley Cup is a lofty goal....this team SHOULD have cup aspirations. But when you've either been bumped in the 1st or 2nd round in the past 3 seasons or so, you gotta be real with yourself. A step in the right direction should be the ECF....anything less than that is unacceptable IMO. A ECF loss would be disapponting, but at least you'll know that there was progress made. This is a YOUNG team. Caps are built to compete for the Cup for many years to come. We'll get one eventually (so I hope LOL)...but let's get the ship headed in the right direction when the 2nd season rolls around.

Honestly, I'll be happy w. an ECF berth.

The window is only going to stay open for so long.

I'm not usually one of those people that puts crazy expectations on a team, but this team was built to win now - so they should starting winning when it matters.

Pretty soon we'll all be looking back at all the missed opportunities this great (regular season at least) team had and didn't take advantage of.

The window is only going to stay open for so long.

I'm not usually one of those people that puts crazy expectations on a team, but this team was built to win now - so they should starting winning when it matters.

Pretty soon we'll all be looking back at all the missed opportunities this great (regular season at least) team had and didn't take advantage of.

Why do you think that they're built to win now when they have so much young talent locked up for a long time? The core star players such as OV, Backstrom, Green, etc. are all in their early to mid-twenties. Not to mention that the Caps have a great minor league system with the Hershey Bears winning the Calder Cup the last 2 years in a row.

......it's the thread where we make the Flyers our B*****es once again. HAHA. Come on in and take an ass whooping.

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting an asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly.

Just a note

Try not to drive yourselves nuts in October, November, December

This is a special team with great young talent. For some unknown reason, the team got even YOUNGER this offseason

Regardless, the real season will begin in April. Regardless of seed the team just needs to work to get to April healthy, playing good D, and peaking

The rest of it will all be noise

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.
First off, you're quoting the violation :pfft:

Second, the singular is censored, but "****es" isn't. Same thing with ****. That's censored, but "****s" or "****waffle" aren't.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/09/the_caps_talk_about_their_hbo.html

This will be awesome. Just a note, after hanging around the team at various season ticket holder events, Ovechkin and Bruce will steal the show. You can put Brooks Laich and Green in the next tier, but Ovi and Bruce will be the big stars. They will eat this up

The Caps talk about their HBO special

As you've heard, the Caps and Penguins will be part of a four-part HBO all-access series during the lead-up to and aftermath of the Winter Classic, beginning on Dec. 15. More details here.

The Caps players were told about the series by GM George McPhee on Thursday morning, and then the media had at them about the prospect of being on unedited national television. Especially the unedited part.

"Well, hockey players don't swear, so we don't have to worry about that," Matt Bradley said.

"Well, if I'm gonna say some bad words it's gonna be Russian words," Alex Ovechkin said. "Probably you guys don't understand it. I don't know. We'll see."

"I don't know if guys are gonna be able to watch what they say or what," Mike Knuble said. "There's nobody in here that's just an absolute idiot, saying dumb things all the time. I mean, I guess in the course of your workplace, you always let something stupid come out of your mouth. Some people it's once a day, some people it's once a week....We'll have language. That's the reality of pro sports. It happens. There's moments that are kind of ugly at times. Stuff might get ugly at times, but probably our year will be going pretty smoothly."

So whose mouth will you have to watch out for?

"Schultize," Bradley said, straight-faced. "Schultzie gets pretty crazy behind the scenes. A guy like him, him and Tom Poti, those two guys, when you get them alone behind the scenes might get pretty crazy."

"I mean, there'll be certain guys like [Jason] Chimera that will take it over the top," Knuble said. "When he sees the camera, it'll be a whole different person."

Click link for the rest

Why is Bostic Hog bragging about his team getting beat at home in the SC finals anyway? Caps losing in the first round sucked but blowing the chance at the Cup at home really sucks.

Losing the Cup at home certainly does suck. I will say though, that playing for weeks longer than the Caps was very schweet!

Archived