Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

The lease at FedEx Field is one of the great mysteries of ES. No one around here really seems to know for sure who the lease provider is, the terms of the lease, etc.

The notion that leases are set in stone and the Redskins are stuck in Landover until 2027 is silly. Even if there is a debt obligation between the team and the state of MD or PGC, debt can be paid off. People break leases all the time, including sports teams.

I could be wrong on this but my understanding (and I am pretty sure about this) is that Dan Snyder owns the land and the stadium. There is no "lease". There is an agreement (contract) between the Redskins and Prince Georges County (and probably the state of Maryland) to stay until 2027. I assume there are penalty clauses for vacating the stadium early prior to the end of the contract. But Dan Snyder owns the whole kit and caboodle. It makes more sense for him to make improvements to his asset than move to another site that he has no control over the revenue from parking and concessions. He also has total control over the improvements to the stadium subject to zoning approvals, of course. Why move to DC and give up control of all that revenue? I don't think it ever happens.

EDIT: Digging around the internet for legal documents indicates that Pro Football Inc. (The Redskins official legal name) owns the stadium. No mention of the land. Elsewhere I found a board report to the BOWIE STATE MARC STATION DEVELOPMENT BOARD regarding the training facility that says the "The stadium is under a 30 year lease in Largo and the Redskins are obligated to play there at least until 2037. Specific clauses in the contract also stated that Prince George’s County would have the right of first refusal if the Redskins wanted to relocate their stadium, and would have to show considerable efforts of relocating within the county" I assume the "2037" date is a type and "2027" was intended.

So moving is not so easy if Skins want to. Of course, money talks and PG and MD could be bought off. That is SOP for most any contract. I'll keep looking. The lease has to be a public document available to all of us.

You will want to take the beltway to exit 16, Arena Drive. There will be purple lots on your right and left as you approach the stadium; if you park on the right side the Bud Light Pavilion Gate will be directly in front of you.

I think there will be a pretty light crowd for this game, so you will have plenty of room to tailgate. However, LEAVE EARLY! I cannot stress that enough. Even though you are going against the grain of traffic 270 and 495 are an absolute bear during rush hour. If you leave Gaithersburg at 2pm, you should get there around 3. If you leave at 5pm, you will be lucky to make it by kickoff.

Thanks! I used to have season tix in section 227, but I haven't been to the stadium in a couple years and never have been to the club lvl or purple parking lot so I wasn't sure if I should go the same route.

Does anyone have word on what is going on with Orange Parking this year? Signs seem to indicate that the orange lot just past the Audi lot outside of the Bank of America entrance (the part of Orange that butts up against the green lot where the ES tailgate is) is being changed to be more green lot. This will mean quite a bit more of a hike for those of us in Orange Lot to get to the tailgate.

Does anyone have word on what is going on with Orange Parking this year? Signs seem to indicate that the orange lot just past the Audi lot outside of the Bank of America entrance (the part of Orange that butts up against the green lot where the ES tailgate is) is being changed to be more green lot. This will mean quite a bit more of a hike for those of us in Orange Lot to get to the tailgate.

Didn't really notice it. Is it going all green, or just part green?? At least its downhill! :silly:

Didn't really notice it. Is it going all green, or just part green?? At least its downhill! :silly:

Looks like it's going all green right there by the tailgate. You know the jersey wall/stone barrier between green and orange there? On the orange side of the wall all of the lamp-post signs except for 2 of them have been changed to Green. When I pulled in for the Colts game the lot attendant even tried to direct me away from that lot when she saw my orange tag (I insisted and parked there anyway).

As near as I can tell this is the change they are making:

es_lot_changes.jpg

I hope I'm wrong, otherwise I'll need to find someone to trade me a season of orange for a season of green. :(

Looks like it's going all green right there by the tailgate. You know the jersey wall/stone barrier between green and orange there? On the orange sign all of the lamp-post signs except for 2 of them have been changed to Green, on the Orange side of the wall. When I pulled in for the Colts game the lot attendant even tried to direct me away from that lot when she saw my orange tag (I insisted and parked there anyway).

I hope I'm wrong, otherwise I'll need to find someone to trade me a season of orange for a season of green. :(

Hi Stugein,

I called the ticket office 2 years ago for clarification on this and their official response was that you are allowed to "downgrade" your parking pass. This is obviously not something they publicize or want lots of people doing, as they would have problems if every Orange and Purple lot holder wanted to park in the Green Lot for a sold out game.

However, over years of attending game at FedEx Field, I have successfully parked in the Green lot near the ES tailgate with Orange, Purple, and Platinum passes. I am not surprised the attendent tried to direct you away from the lot, I would say less than 2% of the parking attendants know that you are allowed to downgrade, they are just going by their orders to direct you into the properly colored lot.

When I have encountered this problem with the parking attendants, I simply flash my drivers' license out the window and yell "It's OK! I'm a limo driver!" ala Lloyd Christmas and then quickly drive away from them toward E-43. They may jog after you for a little bit but I have never been confronted after parking or given any kind of warning.

Bottom line, you should have no problem parking in the Green lot with an Orange pass especially if you use the "limo driver" line.

HTTR

The lease at FedEx Field is one of the great mysteries of ES. No one around here really seems to know for sure who the lease provider is, the terms of the lease, etc.

The notion that leases are set in stone and the Redskins are stuck in Landover until 2027 is silly. Even if there is a debt obligation between the team and the state of MD or PGC, debt can be paid off. People break leases all the time, including sports teams.

One of the provisions of the lease is that if the Redskins relocate (the definition of the word can be debated - relocated as in leave DC or relocated as in team plays in a different stadium?), PG County gets the right to purchase all land for $10 (or some ridiculously low number meant to prevent team from leaving FedEx).

So moving is not so easy if Skins want to. Of course, money talks and PG and MD could be bought off. That is SOP for most any contract. I'll keep looking. The lease has to be a public document available to all of us.

Just to add, as I know you know this, but it's not just the lease that MD and PG county would have to be bought out of. There is a 10% 'amusement' tax that PG county charges us for everything - seats, parking, drinks, food, beer, merchandise, etc.

.10 * 85,000+ people * whatever dollar amount the average person spends per game (at least 64$/seat) * 10 games a year = lots of money. At one point, years ago, we did rough calculations in a thread like this, and used the price points for the seats, and it was in the hundreds of millions of dollars a year just in taxes on seating/parking that PG county rakes in every year. That doesn't count all the other things, just seats. If you're going to buy them out you're going to spend in the 9 figures * how many years you're trying to buy them out, in tax money they'd lose alone.

It's just not going to happen until there's less than 8 or so years left on the lease, and even then it'll be a lot of money.

One of the provisions of the lease is that if the Redskins relocate (the definition of the word can be debated - relocated as in leave DC or relocated as in team plays in a different stadium?), PG County gets the right to purchase all land for $10 (or some ridiculously low number meant to prevent team from leaving FedEx).

Such a clause wouldn't surprise me. Wayne Curry and JKC probably worded everything air tight in order to get the legislation through in 1995. However, lawyers can eventually find a way to undue anything once the timing is right and the money is on the table. Again, I don't think Danny has any desire to give up control of his building any time soon, no one is going to build him a new one for free, so none of this will be relevant for at least another decade or so.

I just don't like it when people claim the team can 'never leave' due to obligations w/ govts, sponsorship, etc.

Sounds like a PSL without the PSL.

But these are "premium" seats (dream seats) and not general admission. The PSL argument revolves around the GA tickets. Most stadiums have always had contracts for suites and premium seats. Also, a PSL gives you the right to buy the seat ticket. The Club and Dream Seat contracts are the actual ticket cost. In any case, they are very pricey tickets to buy and out of the budget of most low/middle income folks.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few years since I have been to a game. My standard arrival was to aim for NLT 2 hours prior to game time, using the 704 to Brightseat/Redskins route. Orange parking pass, make a left for the enforced clockwise flow into the lot and then mosey all the way over to the Arena drive side which (for me) allowed the most options for a (relatively) speedy exit. Will the most recent tailgating / parking rules still allow for this?

Thanks. I'm in the lower section so I don't think I have access to the Club and Suite areas but I like that there;s some variety.

Andy, although the vendors in the stands typically only have Bud, Bud Light and Miller Light, you can find a nice variety of better beers at the various concession booths on the concourse.

It has been a few years since I have been to a game. My standard arrival was to aim for NLT 2 hours prior to game time, using the 704 to Brightseat/Redskins route. Orange parking pass, make a left for the enforced clockwise flow into the lot and then mosey all the way over to the Arena drive side which (for me) allowed the most options for a (relatively) speedy exit. Will the most recent tailgating / parking rules still allow for this?

You're asking if you can pass from the E lot to the F lot. I'm not sure if there's a block there or not...

Hi. I'm sorry if this has been answered many times in this thread, but there are so many pages it's hard to go through everything.

I just moved to the US and are not familiar with the ticket system here. What is general admission and how does the standing rooms work? Will you have assigned seats/places with GA and standing room? And what are the differences between these?

Archived