Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?

KERRAKPO9198

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With the news that the Redskins will be keeping their corporate headquarters in Ashburn, VA :helmet: and will be moving their training camp to Richmond, VA starting next season, are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team as opposed to a DC or Maryland team? The Governor of Virginia Bob McDonnell and the Mayor of Richmond, VA Dwight Jones seem to think just that...

http://www.wtop.com/41/2707175/DC-vs-Va---A-battle-over-the-Redskins

D.C. vs. Va. - A battle over the Redskins?

WASHINGTON - Mayor Vincent Gray has made no bones about wanting the Washington Redskins to be more closely attached to D.C.

And now a politician in Loudoun County is reacting.

County Supervisor Shawn Williams wrote a letter to Redskins owner Dan Snyder last week thanking him for continuing to keep the Redskins practice facility in Ashburn.

Williams also re-opened the possibility of building a Redskins hall of fame in Loudoun. The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors had previously rejected a similar proposal because of concerns about the use of taxpayer money on the project.

Gray, speaking on WTOP's "Ask the Mayor" program in November, said "we have had discussions with people who are associated with the team."

He said they would like to have the Redskins' training facility in D.C.

At an event last week, Va. Gov. Bob McDonnell couldn't resist taking a jab about the Redskins practicing in Virginia, when he said to Gray, "I didn't wear my Virginia Redskins jacket."

McDonnell was remarking on Md. Gov. Martin O'Malley wearing a Baltimore Ravens jacket in support of that team's making the playoffs.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/02/virginia_celebrates_the_redski.html

"Not only is [Redskins football] marvelous entertainment, not only do we live and die with that Sunday afternoon Redskins game, but we also understand what you bring to the Commonwealth of Virginia," McDonnell said, via Redskins.com. "We know you have a D.C. link, we know you play on Sundays in Maryland, but we know you spend most of your time in Ashburn, Virginia. We're very grateful and excited about that."

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/BREAKING-Redskins-To-Stay-In-Virginia/3dd4cf2e-de30-4414-9398-2497965fe2fa

Speaking about Virginia’s successful effort to retain Redskins corporate headquarters, and the accompanying expansion of the team’s training facility, as well as the Redskins decision to further the team’s relationship with the Commonwealth by making plans to relocate its annual summer training camp in Richmond starting in 2013, Governor McDonnell noted, “Virginia considers the Redskins our team. The team is based here. The team trains here. The players live here. Virginians root for the Redskins on the field, and off the field the team contributes greatly to the economy and culture of the Commonwealth. Virginia is committed to keeping the Redskins right here in our state for years to come, and today we’ve taken a significant step towards accomplishing that goal. This is a positive and exciting development for football fans from Loudoun County to Richmond to Virginia Beach. It will mean more jobs in our state, and more revenue for state and local coffers. More than anything, it means Virginia will remain ‘Redskins Country.’ In the years ahead I look forward to visiting the new expanded training facility in Loudoun County, and watching the team practice right here in our state capital of Richmond.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/richmond-mayor-says-redskins-want-to-be-a-virginia-team/2012/06/08/gJQAQjOvNV_blog.html

“We’ve actually been in contact with them for quite some time,” Dwight Jones said on Richmond’s ESPN 950. “And actually, the coach really wanted to expand the footprint of the team. They really want to be a Virginia team, and so they really kind of pushed this thing along, even to the point of not having an exact location. They’re signed on for eight years. They have some very specific requirements. We’re gonna meet ‘em. We’re gonna make it happen.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66vT6OGEjMY Virginia Governor Bob McDonell and Richmond, VA Mayor Dwight Jones press conference to announce Virginia deal with the Redskins.

Richmond, VA is Redskins Country.

I've always considered them a DMV based team with a VA/Southern based fans (The fan territory is stretches from DC all the way down to Georgia and a few states west as far as I'm concerned). Ashburn is in NOVA, so DMV. The stadium's certainly in the DMV as it's right off the capitol beltway. The name Washington screams DMV. And moving to Richmond for training camp doesn't make them less DMV based as moving training camp is something that is not uncommon in the NFL. The Cowboys went way north under Parcells if I recall.

The Cowboys went way north under Parcells if I recall.

Don't they have training camp in California?

Been in DC my whole life, so I know what I am talking about. There is very little involvement from the Redskins in this city. Most of their time is spent focusing on Virginia, but I can't blame them. The majority of our fans is in that area so they have to take care of that area.

With that being said, it's not going to stop me or my fellow native Washingtonians from cheering for them.

I Can't believe you left West Virginia out of the list of states, but included that sliver of a section known as Western Maryland, LOL
Let's be honest, most football fans in WVU are Steelers or Eagles fans. Plus, other state was an option on the poll.

I think a great part of the Redskins fan base, is that they come from all over and live all over. The team itself will always be HQed and based out of the DMV area as long as they're the "Washington" Redskins. To say that the Redskins are now a VA team is a little out there because they still play in Maryland and associate themselves with DC. I think you could make a strong argument that a majority of their fan base is from VA, but not they're "based their".

All of dixieland used to be Redskins country, still is for a lot of fans, so I do not know if the word "becoming" really makes sense. The 'skins are a DC team, but the fan-base is spread throughout the region: Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, DC, even into the Carolinas. Also, since DC is such a transient town, you will find pockets of 'skins fans all over the country.

I know the Redskins were considering a move to Alexandria Virginia back before they built their stadium in Landover Maryland, I wish they would have built their stadium in Virginia. Do you guys think they will build their next stadium in Virginia, or DC or in Maryland again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_teams_in_Virginia

There have been proposals to locate stadiums for Washington teams in Northern Virginia or to locate teams in the Hampton Roads metro area surrounding Norfolk, but none have come to fruition. When Jack Kent Cooke decided to build a replacement for the aging RFK Stadium as home of the Washington Redskins, he considered a site in Alexandria until public opposition developed.

Let's be honest, most football fans in WVU are Steelers or Eagles fans. Plus, other state was an option on the poll.

depends on where you are in the state. eastern panhandle is dc tv market hence a lot of 'skins fans.

morgantown & northern panhandle (middle finger) is the pittsburgh market so there you have a lot of steeler fans.

i'd say statewide, thouh, to be honest, there are more steeler fans than anything.

I know the Redskins were considering a move to Alexandria Virginia back before they built their stadium in Landover Maryland, I wish they would have built their stadium in Virginia. Do you guys think they will build their next stadium in Virginia, or DC or in Maryland again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_teams_in_Virginia

There have been proposals to locate stadiums for Washington teams in Northern Virginia or to locate teams in the Hampton Roads metro area surrounding Norfolk, but none have come to fruition. When Jack Kent Cooke decided to build a replacement for the aging RFK Stadium as home of the Washington Redskins, he considered a site in Alexandria until public opposition developed.

I remember that and it was George Allen of all people that put the kibosh on the Fed Ex Field being built in VA.

I was born in DC. I've lived in Hyattsville, Beltsville, Upper Marlboro, Long Beach (CA), Salisbury (NC), Va Beach, the Outer Banks, and Richmond. All of these areas, at least when I lived there and except for Long Beach, were predominantly Redskins territory. Va Beach, much like DC, is a transient place, but most people who are raised there and aren't classic bandwagoners, are Skins fans. One of the things that always (well, once I was in control of my life) kept me in this region was the ability to watch the Skins on network television. It's way less important now with Sunday Ticket or however else you young whippersnappers out of the area watch games if you aren't at them, but that's how I always defined Redksins territory.

I think since their HQ and training camp are in VA, you could say they are a VA based team. They play in Maryland, and that's Skins territory to me, but history and tradition absolutely dictate that they will always be DC's team. I mean, the fight song doesn't say "Fight for old Virgineee". I feel like they're DC's team, on loan to everyone. It will be interesting, providing I'm still alive, to see where the next stadium will be built. could be Maryland, but I think It'll probably be in NOVA. I would not be upset at all if it were back in DC, just for tradition's sake.

I remember someone had a post a while back about this to the effect of "The Redskins are a Maryland team and all these Virginia people have no claim to them...it has to stop" (something like that). That's just silly. Bottom line is, the fanbase stretches far and wide. If you're a Skins fan, you're a Skins fan. DC, Maryland, VA, WV, Carolina, wherever... it doesn't matter a bit (except, of course, how much of a pain the commute will be to see them play)

Considering there are over a million people in Fairfax alone, it isn't a stretch of imagination that most of us live in Northern Virginia. I don't consider them a Virginia team alone, when I think of Redskins Nation I think of Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington DC.

By the way, I went to school in WV in the panhandle, there are a mixture of Redskins and Steelers fans and they still get DC local news along with Pittsburgh local news. The state is 100% dedicated to the Mountaineers so it's not much of either pro team's area.

Archived