Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?

KERRAKPO9198

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I had to pick "other state" since I live in California, but I'm a Skins fan who grew up in MD. I'd have to imagine that there are more skins fans in VA than MD, because there are more than 2 million more people living in VA than MD, and there is more competition for fanbase locally in MD (Ravens, Eagles, Steelers), than VA (Panthers are closest). I'd imagine that the close to DC counties of Maryland have as many Redskins fans per capita as the the countries of Virginia close to DC. However, DC is a city that people move to, so it's naturally not going to be as Redskins fan dominated as a city like Cleveland is with Browns fans.

Let's be honest, most football fans in WVU are Steelers or Eagles fans. Plus, other state was an option on the poll.

I moved to Martinsburg WV 2 years ago .. and more people around here are Redskin fans than other teams .. Ravens are probaly #2 ...

Grew up in Alexandria which formed my allegiance but have lived most of my life out of state so that's what I put. I know in New Mexico there is a large contingent of fans that are Native Americans (or Indians as they refer to themselves here). I think the proud emblem on our helmets and the song as well as a desire to take slurs on as their own and remove their power, is responsible for it. I've been to most of the Pueblos, all of the Apache res' in New Mexico and the Navajo res and don't recall ever seeing a football logo that wasn't Redskins and I've seen a lot of them. I see a lot of Braves and Indians gear but not other football teams.

I have always found it interesting that they were called the "Washington" Redskins when their home office is in VA. But they played in DC for yrs. So I guess no harm no foul. Now their home office is VA, and they play in MD. I just don't get that. MD has the Ravens. Either move the playing field to DC or VA and call it a day.

Using this logic, if I lived 3 miles from the DC line, but in the state of MD, I'm supposed to be a Ravenite? Fan support is usually tied to the local metropolitan area. That's why the Jets/Giants play in Jersey, put still call themselves NY. That team in Texas is just as close to Ft Worth, but they don't call them selves North Texas. This looks like something to drive a wedge in B&G nation. FWIW, I think it's good the Skins are camping in Richmond, the Panthers were encroaching on that territory.

Let's be honest, most football fans in WVU are Steelers or Eagles fans. Plus, other state was an option on the poll.

There are some Steelers fans, but I can't imagine why anyone who's a mountaineer would like a team out of Pittsburgh ;) However, there are also Redskins fans all over the place too. I've seen a lot of redskin apparrel around town in the last few months since the draft. You gotta remember WV get's a lot of news from PA, MD, DC, and VA too. We get Roanoke news where I live currently.

I love how politicitian spin things:

Governor McDonnell noted, “Virginia considers the Redskins our team. The team is based here. The team trains here. The players live here." "We know you have a D.C. link, we know you play on Sundays in Maryland, but we know you spend most of your time in Ashburn, Virginia.

So the fact the team name is "Washington" is a "link" that does not really matter?

It seems to me that it's pretty will spread around. Named after DC, practice in VA, and play in MD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, DC is a fairly small city as far as population. 2011 estimate : 617,996, Philly is about 1.55 million, NYC is 8.1 million.

So finding people who are members of this message board, who live in DC proper, and who voted on the poll..well, just say it is not very scientific.

The Skins are a MD /DC team period. If they move to Ashburn, they will loose a considerable portion of their fan base. Most MD fans are not going drive to N. Virgnia to see them play. They just might opt to root for the Ravens.

The Skins are a MD /DC team period. If they move to Ashburn, they will loose a considerable portion of their fan base. Most MD fans are not going drive to N. Virgnia to see them play. They just might opt to root for the Ravens.

That's crazy talk to say " the Skins are a MD/DC team period". And DC would still root for the Skins if they played in VA, why would DC care if they played in VIrginia or Maryland, although they probably want a stadium back in DC, regardless they don't care if they play in VA as opposed to MD. The Skins have a much larger following in Virginia as opposed to Maryland because Virginia has more people in it's state. Also the Redskins are VIrginia's sole team, but Maryland has 2 teams dividing their football fans, the Ravens along with the Redskins.

This statement is ridiculous at best. As the nice poll above shows, the majority of Skins fans are from Virginia, with the highest vote being Northern Virginia. And yet, the state with the biggest fan base has been driving either into DC or to Landover to watch this team play. So now MD fans won't drive into VA? If anything that just says that MD fans are worse than VA fans. Which is not true at all. The Redskins were the team of the south until Atlanta and Carolina showed up. Hell, George Marshall wouldn't let a team in Dallas, because that was Redskins territory way back when. How can you say that the Redskins are a MD/DC team?

Man, this is an asinine thread...

And the poll means nothing, HeluCopter. True, the "DC/MD period" statement is ridiculous, but the poll isn't representative of the entire Skins fan base, and it doesn't even wholly represent the Extremeskins forum.

All it tells us is that 28% of people who decided to click on this thread and vote are from N. Virginia...in a thread titled "Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?" no less.

And are we really comparing the people from Virgina and Maryland? Is there a difference other than address??

And the poll means nothing, HeluCopter. True, the "DC/MD period" statement is ridiculous, but the poll isn't representative of the entire Skins fan base, and it doesn't even wholly represent the Extremeskins forum.

All it tells us is that 28% of people who decided to click on this thread and vote are from N. Virginia...in a thread titled "Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?" no less.

And are we really comparing the people from Virgina and Maryland? Is there a difference other than address??

I'll see if I can't get more people to click on the thread and vote.

Well yes, obviously this doesn't represent the entire fan base. But it's a random selection of people, so I'd go ahead and say it's probably at least somewhat accurate.

And I'm not comparing the people. I'm saying that the post I quotes only works if MD Redskins fans are better than VA Redskins fans, which is not necessarily true. And in all actuality, one group is not better then the other.

Quite honestly, if the people of D.C. proper wanted the Skins in D.C., they would not have continued to elect Marion Berry the mayor. The reason JKC moved everything out of the city was because Berry was such an ass to JKC and the whole process of replacing RFK that JCK told him to F-off and built the stadium in Maryland. And with what we all know about Berry, can you really blame him?

Archived