Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?

KERRAKPO9198

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This was on the local news yesterday... Bruce Allen visiting VUU. I have to say, Virginia Union was one of the last places I would have expected to become a "top contender". It's not in the greatest part of town, but it is close to downtown. If you watch the clip, you can hear talk of needing a massive upgrade to the current facilities. That probably goes without saying.

http://wtvr.com/2012/08/05/redskins-leaders-tour-possible-training-camp-site/

VA - 215 votes

MD - 92 votes

DC - 17 votes

Eat it MD/DC, :ols::ols::ols::ols:

Eat what exactly?

Just because more people on this board live in VA, doesn't mean the Redskins are or are becoming a Virginia based team.

What a silly question. The Redskins will always be a DMV team.

Virgin..ians claiming MD is a Ravens state? Where do you get this nonsense from? Yeah, the Baltimore metro. is, but travel all over MD with Redskins gear on and see how many compliments you get. Western MD, eastern shore, doesn't matter. MOST of MD is still very solid Redskins country.

Redskins are DCs team, but have ALWAYS had a staunch Southern fan base, and since moving to the District have ALWAYS been Virginia's unofficial NFL team. So of course Redskins are DMV, doesnt make a Maryland fan any less a fan.

...but most of the fan base is and always has been south of DC. So in terms of location, the team is based in the Capitol area. Rooted even. But in terms of geographical area where Redskins are the dominant pro franchise. Upper South, baby.

HQ in Virgina

Stadium in Maryland

DC name

Just what Snyder wants

...ok? Snyder bought the team with those conditions already present. Not sure what you're getting at there. Anyways....

I've always lived in the southern part of Virginia but always thought of the Redskins as a DMV team. But you DC and Maryland guys gotta learn how to share! I've seen so many people get upset about the move of TC to Richmond, yet year after year I spend my hard earned money for gas, food, and hotels to drive to Ashburn in the summer, then drive back and forth four and a half hours for each game during the season. This move is gonna be tremendous for the team and the fans all over Virginia. Richmond is centrally located and offers a little more fairness for the fans that are slightly displaced.

...ok? Snyder bought the team with those conditions already present. Not sure what you're getting at there. Anyways....

I've always lived in the southern part of Virginia but always thought of the Redskins as a DMV team. But you DC and Maryland guys gotta learn how to share! I've seen so many people get upset about the move of TC to Richmond, yet year after year I spend my hard earned money for gas, food, and hotels to drive to Ashburn in the summer, then drive back and forth four and a half hours for each game during the season. This move is gonna be tremendous for the team and the fans all over Virginia. Richmond is centrally located and offers a little more fairness for the fans that are slightly displaced.

I agree with this completely, and this is coming from a rabid MD supporter and hater of most things Virginia. It's the DMV regions team.

Virginia Day

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/BREAKING-Redskins-To-Stay-In-Virginia/3dd4cf2e-de30-4414-9398-2497965fe2fa

Speaking about Virginia’s successful effort to retain Redskins corporate headquarters, and the accompanying expansion of the team’s training facility, as well as the Redskins decision to further the team’s relationship with the Commonwealth by making plans to relocate its annual summer training camp in Richmond starting in 2013, Governor McDonnell noted, “Virginia considers the Redskins our team. The team is based here. The team trains here. The players live here. Virginians root for the Redskins on the field, and off the field the team contributes greatly to the economy and culture of the Commonwealth. Virginia is committed to keeping the Redskins right here in our state for years to come, and today we’ve taken a significant step towards accomplishing that goal. This is a positive and exciting development for football fans from Loudoun County to Richmond to Virginia Beach. It will mean more jobs in our state, and more revenue for state and local coffers. More than anything, it means Virginia will remain ‘Redskins Country.’ In the years ahead I look forward to visiting the new expanded training facility in Loudoun County, and watching the team practice right here in our state capital of Richmond.”

I was born in Washinton D.C., but have lived in the L.A. area since I was 4 years old. I'm curious as to how many Redskin fans live in southern California? There was a house in a SoCal city I used to live in that had both a Skins flag and an Eagles flag waving. I wonder what kind of arguments that family had.

:giantsuck:

:beavisnbutthead:

This thread is worn out. I think it's a ridiculous thread to begin with, because, who the eff cares where the fans are or where the team is. As long as they have "Washington" in front of their names and we all root for them, it doesn't matter. BTW, I've lived in So MD and Alexandria. It's the same. Same type of people, same food, same region, same mentality. I've never lived in DC, but I was born there.

This is a dumb thread. It's provincial. Redskins belong to DC and the surrounding communities in MD and VA in addition to everyone else out there who are Redskins fans. Are there more Skins fans in VA than in MD. Probably considering a lot of Maryland has adopted the Ravens as their team. That does not include metropolitan suburbs such as those in Montgomery County.

• 2 months later...

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/10/22/training-camp-home-will-be-nfls-model/ Video of the training camp location announcement

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Richmond-Training-Camp-Site-Announced/95a21389-f411-49fa-8586-3af8a0a5f1e4

Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones announced today the city’s plan to develop the Leigh Street (Science Museum) site as the new home of Washington Redskins Summer Training Camp beginning in 2013.

:logo:

I'm really excited to have Skins training camp so close...an hour & aa half vs 3 hrs..no brainer..lol...I'm originally from a small town named Sedley, VA it's 7 miles outside of Franklin(home of the stinky paper mill..lol)...My dad was a Skins fan which is the main reason my sis & I are skins fans...but also back then when I started watching football at the tender age of 7 or so...The Skins were the only team shown on TV in our area..I remember thinking..I want to go there one day..but it's so far away..LOL! We viewed football players like they were movie stars! Great athletes playing in a faraway land...I chuckle at how ignorant I was about where DC is back then...I think the Skins are a team that encompasses a large area...from MD to DC to Va to NC and further south.Why does it matter what they're considered as far as region?..

Archived