Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?

KERRAKPO9198

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If the Redskins start winning again, and the Ravens start losing, the Ravens fans in Howard County, Anne Arundel, Calvert, etc. will all start claiming their Redskins fan cards (again). Same thing would have happened if a team had been given to Richmond, had succeeded on the level of the Ravens, while the Redskins have done their thing for the past 20 years.

I've always considered Redskins country as being from south of Baltimore to the north of Richmond. The core, IMO, is in NOVA, DC, and the surrounding MD counties. I wouldn't consider them as a VA based team at all.

Are you implying that you don't think Richmond is Redskins territory?

I hope that it is, but it is a lot further south and may have fans more fans of opposing teams there. That's not to say that there aren't opposing fans in this area because there are a lot. I also think that Richmond itself is another media market altogether. It's really not talked about here much in the DC area.

weren't they always?

That's what I thought. Lived in Arlington for 30 years, and Gaithersburg for 25. Most I see here are Ravens and Steeler fans. DC is a transient city so you get fans from all over. FedEx has more DC and Maryland ticket holders, but that's just because of location. If a new stadium was located somewhere in Loudon or Fairfax, that would probably change in time. I don't care what Maryland or DC fans say... the Redskins are more Virginia based.

Are you implying that you don't think Richmond is Redskins territory?

I hope that it is, but it is a lot further south and may have fans more fans of opposing teams there. That's not to say that there aren't opposing fans in this area because there are a lot. I also think that Richmond itself is another media market altogether. It's really not talked about here much in the DC area. (Mods: please erase my earlier similar post.)

I hope that it is, but it is a lot further south and may have fans more fans of opposing teams there. That's not to say that there aren't opposing fans in this area because there are a lot. I also think that Richmond itself is another media market altogether. It's really not talked about here much in the DC area.

Read through this thread some, Richmond is definitely Redskins Country.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?363130-Hogs-Haven-Richmond-VA-the-New-Redskins-Training-Camp-Spot&daysprune=7

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/06/10/80th-tour-richmond-fans-excited/#more-19983739

But the excitement was much more apparent in Richmond itself at the Richmond International Speedway, which was playing host to the Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival — the second stop of the 80th Anniversary Tour on Saturday.

Obviously, you’re closer to home now for a lot of fans,” he said. “Yeah, they play in Maryland, they’re located in Ashburn, but now you get the lower Virginia region. It’s good for everybody that they can get a chance to go see them.”

depends on where you are in the state. eastern panhandle is dc tv market hence a lot of 'skins fans.

morgantown & northern panhandle (middle finger) is the pittsburgh market so there you have a lot of steeler fans.

i'd say statewide, thouh, to be honest, there are more steeler fans than anything.

Kanawha County rep here and I agree with your statement for the most part.There were many of my friends that followed the Steelers, so I had to be different and go with the burg & gold.

Yo. Outer Banks is still Redskins country ;)

And honestly, I've always thought of them as a Virginia team..sort of. After living in Fredericksburg (basically middle of Virginia) and seeing rabid fans everywhere, yea that's what I figure. I don't even pay much mind to the Redskins/Ravens thing. The Ravens might as well be in a another country as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Redskins are definitely appealing to the west segment of their fanbase right now. The Ravens have stolen the hearts and minds of young Maryland. It's just a fact.

The kids that would have grown up miserable in B&G before Modell moved the Brownies to Ballmer simply see the Washington team as a loser in the shadow of the operation up 95 and they use the Maryland state line technicality as an excuse to root for the annual crowd pleaser. I'm not saying the Ravens don't deserve it. I'm saying that Snyder lost his MD appeal over the years. he didn't hold his turf from the upstart, SB-winning invaders.

It's perfectly logical from a business standpoint that the team start backing away from the turf they gave up. They need Virginia more than ever.

It's perfectly logical from a business standpoint that the team start backing away from the turf they gave up. They need Virginia more than ever.

And the thought of Mayor Gray wanting the Redskins to open up shop in DC for training camp is a total joke.

I think that most of the Redskins "local" fan base probably does reside in Virigina. They also have a very strong following in Southern Maryland. Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's counties. I don't think the team is becoming "more" of a Virginia team, I think the team has always been a DMV team. I mean for me, I can drive and be in either Washington or Virginia in 20 minutes. The area just isn't that big to begin with. I've never felt like I have "left home" in either D.C. or Virginia. I think most locals feel that way, and that's why the Redskins have developed such a strong following in all three jurisdictions. They don't call it the DMV for nothing. :)

Considering there are over a million people in Fairfax alone, it isn't a stretch of imagination that most of us live in Northern Virginia. I don't consider them a Virginia team alone, when I think of Redskins Nation I think of Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Washington DC.

By the way, I went to school in WV in the panhandle, there are a mixture of Redskins and Steelers fans and they still get DC local news along with Pittsburgh local news. The state is 100% dedicated to the Mountaineers so it's not much of either pro team's area.

eastern panhandle does not get pittsburgh local news unless you sign up for it through a satellite provider.

and with your age, i can see how you didn't notice this being much of a redskins area because we've sucked basically your whole life so the younger crowd is decidedly less redskins than my generation and those before me.

I think that most of the Redskins "local" fan base probably does reside in Virigina. They also have a very strong following in Southern Maryland. Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's counties. I don't think the team is becoming "more" of a Virginia team, I think the team has always been a DMV team. I mean for me, I can drive and be in either Washington or Virginia in 20 minutes. The area just isn't that big to begin with. I've never felt like I have "left home" in either D.C. or Virginia. I think most locals feel that way, and that's why the Redskins have developed such a strong following in all three jurisdictions. They don't call it the DMV for nothing. :)

When someone here (PA) asks me where I'm from, I say D.C. even though I was born in Bethesda and raised in Silver Spring. Like you, when I'm back in the DMV I feel at home regardless if it's Maryland, NOVA or D.C. Ashburn is NOVA in my book, meaning the Redskins are based in D.C. I don't know how it is now, but I could call my cousin in Seven Corners from Four Corners or my father's office in D.C. and they were local calls. Where else could you make an interstate call and not be charged long distance? The team is the Washington Redskins and will remain so regardless of where they hold training camp. When they trained in Carlisle or Frostburg I don't recall anyone hinting that they should be the PA or MD Redskins. It's just training camp! Sure, the team facilities are in Virginia, but they're in the DMV. The team plays in MD, also in the DMV. I think it's great that fans in Central VA will have the chance to attend camps. We have a strong following to the south and this should help make it even stronger. (Don't forget that our fight song was changed from "Fight for ol' Dixie" to "Fight for ol' D.C.".) There's quite a few Skins fans here in South Central PA, probably because we get Washington T.V. stations, but also because many people attended camp in Carlisle.

Obviously, you’re closer to home now for a lot of fans,” he said. “Yeah, they play in Maryland, they’re located in Ashburn, but now you get the lower Virginia region. It’s good for everybody that they can get a chance to go see them.”

It's a good idea. Putting TC in Richmond takes care of the fans in central VA and in Hampton Roads. The Redskins are big time in HR, by far the most popular team in any sport other than the minor league and college teams. Surprising since the area is just as transient as D.C. because of the military, but it doesn't have the convenient link to the Redskins.

Football is king down here though, the fans are rabid and the H.S. football is super competitive. This area wants to root for a Profootball team. The Redskins were smart to have scooped it up.

Archived