Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?

KERRAKPO9198

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Quite honestly, if the people of D.C. proper wanted the Skins in D.C., they would not have continued to elect Marion Berry the mayor. The reason JKC moved everything out of the city was because Berry was such an ass to JKC and the whole process of replacing RFK that JCK told him to F-off and built the stadium in Maryland. And with what we all know about Berry, can you really blame him?

Actually, it was Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly that JKC had a problem with. She said "no" to District funds being used for infrastructure around the new stadium (if built to replace RFK), which included the Langston Golf course. That simply wasn't going to happen no matter who was mayor.

http://www.redskins80th.com/tour/

Above is a list of all the places the Redskins will be traveling to celebrate their 80th anniversary, funny that they are all Virginia stops on the tour except for one in DC. It seems the Skins are mainly paying homage to their beloved fans in Virginia. I wonder why they aren't including Maryland in their travels?

http://www.redskins80th.com/tour/

Above is a list of all the places the Redskins will be traveling to celebrate their 80th anniversary, funny that they are all Virginia stops on the tour except for one in DC. It seems the Skins are mainly paying homage to their beloved fans in Virginia. I wonder why they aren't including Maryland in their travels?

Shoot, they could cross the line into NC and have more fans there than in MD.

The SKINS have always been Virginia's team. We are DC's team, but unfortunately we have lost most of Maryland to Poe's Crows. That's just the way it is. Even Annapolis has turned to become a Ravens town. Of course it's because they have had success recently and been a steady winner. The SKINS have not. So until we win, Maryland is the Ravens state.

If the Redskins start winning again, and the Ravens start losing, the Ravens fans in Howard County, Anne Arundel, Calvert, etc. will all start claiming their Redskins fan cards (again). Same thing would have happened if a team had been given to Richmond, had succeeded on the level of the Ravens, while the Redskins have done their thing for the past 20 years.

Howard County is still split 50/50 Redskins/Ravens... North Anne Arundel is mostly Ravens, since its close to Bmore, how ever the more south you go toward Annapolis or Bowie, the more Redskins fans you have... As far as baltimore, what annoys me is that people automatically assume EVERYONE here are Ravens fans, which isn't the case at all... yeah, its mostly Ravens fans, but there are still a TON of Skins fans in the area. Even as far up as Northern MD where i am now.

Howard County is still split 50/50 Redskins/Ravens... North Anne Arundel is mostly Ravens, since its close to Bmore, how ever the more south you go toward Annapolis or Bowie, the more Redskins fans you have... As far as baltimore, what annoys me is that people automatically assume EVERYONE here are Ravens fans, which isn't the case at all... yeah, its mostly Ravens fans, but there are still a TON of Skins fans in the area. Even as far up as Northern MD where i am now.

PG county is redskins country lol, which includes Bowie. Bowie was never ravens fans

I'm in Odenton, 10 minutes east of Bowie in AACo. It majority ravens here, and from what I see its majority ravens in Annapolis (I work there). Closer to the water you get, the more likely you have Ravens fans. Bowie is definitely redskins. Very few Ravens fans. The whole region, as far north as North Anne Arundel to the water could be Redskins if this team hadn't **** the bed for the past 20 years.

But hand to the Ravens, they built a successful franchise the right way, ownership is loyal to its fanbase, and the area was obviously looking for something to fill the gaping hole left by Dan Snyder.

---------- Post added June-17th-2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

PG county is redskins country lol, which includes Bowie. Bowie was never ravens fans

Agreed. you walk into a bar wearing a Ravens jersey on Sunday in PG county you look like a clown.

---------- Post added June-17th-2012 at 11:02 AM ----------

Agreed. you walk into a bar wearing a Ravens jersey on Sunday in PG county you look like a clown.

....you walk into a bar wearing a Ravens jersey.....you look like a clown.

The Ravens Fan — Nature’s Clown

Every team has it’s share of stupid looking fans. The Steelers have that big girl that every Steelers-hater in the world has tried to use to make fun of Steelers fans, the Jets have that idiot fireman guy, and the Ravens well… they apparently have their entire fanbase.

link for rest:

http://offthelakes.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/hateweek-part-2-the-ravens-fan-natures-clown/

610x.jpg

Actually, it was Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly that JKC had a problem with. She said "no" to District funds being used for infrastructure around the new stadium (if built to replace RFK), which included the Langston Golf course. That simply wasn't going to happen no matter who was mayor.

Didn't he also "goose" her one time when they were having a meeting and she stood up to leave the room to use the ladies room?

I lived in Cumberland, MD until I was 18 and then left the state. Really miss it on occasion, although Redskins support isn't a factor (though the relatively minimal 3 hour drive to FedEx was nice); western Maryland is largely Steelers and Eagles fans. There's a masters program at George Washington University that I'm considering, and that would put me in the heart of the fanbase where I belong.

Of all the neighboring fanbases, the fairweather Ravens fans might have been worse than anything.

I live in AA County and work in Howard, and it is split, but favoring the Ratbirds, BUT I believe a lot of that is due to how the teams have done in recent years. Many people are more casual fans and don't show their love for their team as much when they are struggling. So if it was reversed and our Skins had been the well put together playoff contender and and the Ravens had been struggling, it would lean more towards the Skins. Hopefully, it will be that way soon!! :)

:ravensuck

But as for the original question, they are a DC team...so practicing in VA and playing in MD makes sense to me. MANY teams practice and/or play games outside of the city they are named for. And because Baltimore is so close plus the fact that there is no team close by to the south, it makes sense that there would be a larger following in VA....but that doesn't mean they're a VA team.

Looking at the votes seems that VA is well represented. I live in Mechanicsville VA literally a stones throw from the city of Richmond and this has always been Redskins country, DC is so transient and brings a lot of people from different areas of the country you see a lot of people with a lot of different sports allegiances. The main fan base for ALL DC teams is in Virginia and So. Maryland. They maybe the "Washington" Redskins but they definitely have deep roots and ties to Virginia and Maryland

VA - 215 votes

MD - 92 votes

DC - 17 votes

Eat it MD/DC, :ols::ols::ols::ols:

I didn't even vote, I dont't know where PG county falls in to on that poll . I hate that the Redskins do most of their events other than games in Virginia.

Not to hijack the thread but that link about Ravens fans is hilarious lol. You notice that fake SuperSkin aka "ravens man"

• 1 month later...

http://www.nbc29.com/story/19195687/virginia-gov-discusses-deal-to-move-redskins-camp

Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell says the Washington Redskins have chosen four sites in Richmond at which they hope to hold their training camp next year.

McDonnell, speaking at the Redskins' "Fan Appreciation Day" at Redskins Park, said executives will make on-site assessments next week.

McDonnell, speaking at the Redskins' "Fan Appreciation Day" at Redskins Park, said executives will make on-site assessments next week.

Any place but Ashburn works for me. The Ashburn location is symbolic to me of the carnival act the Redskins have become at training camp since the pay per practice fiasco.

Ashburn is also too easy to get to for the casual crowd.

Archived