Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Telegraph: George Washington named Britain's greatest ever foe

China

George Washington named Britain's greatest ever foe

The American was voted the winner in a contest run by the National Army Museum to identify the country's most outstanding military opponent.

He was one of a shortlist of five leaders who topped a public poll and on Saturday was selected as the ultimate winner by an audience of around 70 guests at a special event at the museum, in Chelsea, west London.

In second place was Michael Collins, the Irish leader, ahead of Napoleon Bonaparte, Erwin Rommel and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

At the event, each contender had their case made by a historian giving a 40 minute presentation. The audience, who had paid to attend the day, then voted in a secret ballot after all five presentations had been made.

Dr Stephen Brumwell, who had championed Washington, said: "As British officers conceded, he was a worthy opponent."

The shortlist of five were selected from an initial list of 20 candidates, drawn up by the museum's curators.

To qualify, each commander had to come from the 17th century onwards – the period covered by the museum's collection – and had to have led an army in the field against the British, thus excluding political enemies, like Adolf Hitler.

Click on the link for the full article

For anyone who hasn't done the Mount Vernon tour, I highly recommend it. Really provides insight into how Washington lived, you feel like you actually know the man a little bit after its over.

...and read David McCullough's 1776

Hold up, man. Can I call you back? I got some red coats trying to start some **** out here.

:ols:

"Yeah. Just returning you call. Do what? Things aren't going too well. Yeah Braddock's ****ing everything up and --------.*

"****. I'll have to call you back. ****ers just shot another horse out from underneath me."

Didn't realize Michael Collins was only 31 when he died.

Anyway, Napoleon should be #1 but whatever. We'll take it. America, **** yeah.

I think George Washington wins this one because he batted 1.000 against Great Britain and Napoleon didn't (even though he covered more real estate than Washington).

Tactically Washington was pretty good... He used his abilities to save his army in many actions during the war...

Washington was very much an action hero having multiple horses shot from under him during the war in the following actions he personally participated in.

Siege of Boston (W)

Battle of Long Island (L)

Battle of Kip's Bay (W)

Battle of Harlem Heights (L)

Battle of White Plains (L)

Battle of Fort Washington (L)

Battle of Trenton (W)

Battle of the Assunpink Creek (L)

Battle of Princeton ( L) ( GW won here initially, but was forced to retreat out of princeton as Cornwallis approached)

Battle of Brandywine (L)

Battle of Germantown (L)

Battle of White Marsh (W) they didn't actually fight both Howe witthdrew first though.

Battle of Monmouth (W) Cornwalis retreated

Siege of Yorktown (W)

Washington won 6 of 14 engagements with the British..

Washington's real gift was strategy. He realized he didn't have to defeat the british he just had to survive long enough for the french to get into the war.

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

I think George Washington wins this one because he batted 1.000 against Great Britain and Napoleon didn't (even though he covered more real estate than Washington).

Actually Washington lost the majority of engagements he fought against the British.

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

Actually Washington lost the majority of engagements he fought against the British.

If you mean battles, Washington got his rear handed to him repeatedly by the British early on. The problem for the British was that he figured out ways to win victories of his own despite being overwhelmingly outnumbered, outgunned and having absolutely no naval support whatsoever. He was not the greatest battlefield general by a long shot but he was a wily SOB and a damn good strategist. I don't know as much about Napoleon, but if you mean that Washington never lost a war against the British while Napoleon did, well, that is a good point.

If you mean battles, Washington got his rear handed to him repeatedly by the British early on. The problem for the British was that he figured out ways to win victories of his own despite being overwhelmingly outnumbered, outgunned and having absolutely no naval support whatsoever. He was not the greatest battlefield general by a long shot but he was a wily SOB and a damn good strategist. I don't know as much about Napoleon, but if you mean that Washington never lost a war against the British while Napoleon did, well, that is a good point.

Yeah, I meant the war as a whole. Washington was on the receiving end of plenty of ass kickings during the Revolution; but the rebels eventually prevailed.

Yeah, George was a badarse. Here's a video by the Brits who voted for him.

Video has inappropriate language, but should be postable

The real answer should have been Napoleon. If Boney hadn't tried to take on the Russian winter, he would have remained invincible.

Yeah, George was a badarse. Here's a video by the Brits who voted for him.

Video has inappropriate language, but should be postable

The real answer should have been Napoleon. If Boney hadn't tried to take on the Russian winter, he would have remained invincible.

Same mistake Hitler made. The Russian winters are badarse.

Guest Spearfeather
Originally posted by thebluefood in the " Most Iconic Photo Representing the U.S. " thread:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUpq07zFDnHWOGgd6nT79pb8UKbjAawu8xs_ci0POyRy-Y1l1t

Problem, England?

Archived