Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How scared should I be to live in Philly?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

As my senior year of high school draws to a close, I am 99.8 percent sure I will be attending Drexel University in the fall.

The only problem is that it's located in Philly and as evident in the Monday night massacre I attended, philly fans are the only ones that can push me pass the limit

So my question to my ES brethren is...how bad is it really in their territory?

Are they different in a real life setting?

Will I get my ass kicked for wearing a Nick Backstrom shirt at the bank?

Will I be refused service for wearing my redskins SnapBack?

Oh and if anyone is attending the skins game at the Lincoln this year, please let me know

I'm terrified to go alone

I have lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life. I wear my Skins colors as often as possible, and people do not do anything about it. The only time people will say anything is during the season, and only if their team is doing well. There are one to two outliers but not really. You just need to be confident and stand up for yourself. A lot of their fans are idiots too, so once you begin an argument, you'll most likely win. Flyers fans are kind of the same but more intense, so there are more random instances. As long as you avoid the stadiums, you'll most likely avoid problems or banter. I do plan on going to the Skins Eagles game this year too, if my schedule permits it.

Drexel is a great school, especially for engineering, what major are you attending Drexel for?

The area around Drexel is safe too. They have cops and security all over, since you're also right by UPenn. You'll have some nice parties going on, and a lot of what you need is right there. If you're ever home sick, there is an Amtrak/bus station right there to take you anywhere.

Do you have any other specific questions? Feel free to PM me too.

I was a bit worried too, before moving to the Philly area. But the fans here are paper tigers. They truly are.

I spent a few months wearing Skins gear everywhere in an effort to have some fun with somebody. Only one guy ever bit, and it was just pathetic. It happened at the front door of my kid's child care building, of all places, and think I converted the dude's kid into a Redskins fan. As they were walking away I heard the son tell his dad, "That man was really funny!" I'm not sure but I think I actually saw steam coming out of the guy's ears. ;) Made my week.

Philadelphia folk are actually pretty nice people. I went to the New years day parade in my skins hoodie and got people wanting to talk NFC east football instead of fighting or taunting (and I'm sure 99% of the people there are drunk). At eagles games, they try to come off as mean intimidating *******s, but they're not bad at all. I wouldn't let that determine your choice

I spent my first year of college at Drexel back in '86/'87. Really great school. I was just too young and stupid to stay with it. Anyway, the Eagles sucked back then and I wore my Redskins colors without ever having a problem. As for Philly itself, it's like any city. Make friends with someone who knows the lay of the land until you learn your way around. Good luck! Have fun but don't lose focus of why you're there.

I like Philly, too.

You'll be fine. People act like jerks at the game but on the street people are just like people anywhere else.

Do you hassle Eagles fans you see walking down the street around where you live?

They're no different.

Some neighborhoods aren't so great, just like anywhere. But overall, I've always found the people of Philly friendly.

~Bang

Harvard, Duke, and NYU but I only have my mom so unless they pay 9/10s of the tuition, that's a no go

Got accepted by Hofstra and St. John's but I'm not feeling them

Didn't apply in-state cuz I wanna get away for a bit

St. John's is a really good school. I used to hang out there when I was young, having lived only a few miles from the campus. 2 of my sisters graduated from there. They would have day camps, for the different sports, conducted by their players. It is located in a pretty decent area of Queens and I seriously doubt you would have any problems being a Redskin fan. I grew up there, as a Redskin fan, and never had any problems when wearing any Redskin gear. You might get some flack, but, nothing to fear for your life over. Buses and subway stations are nearby and run on a pretty good schedule and you are only a short train ride from Manhattan, close to the Citi Filed (where the Mets play).

Hofstra is also a very good school, although located a bit further out on Long Island than St. John's. The surrounding area is pretty good. The campus is close to the L.I. Railroad, which will take you directly into Manhattan and drop you off at Penn Station. While not as accessible to all the features of NYC, as St. John's is, it is not that far out and mass transit is readily accessible from either school.

You'll probably get some good-natured razzing on the street or in bars if you wear Redskins stuff, but nothing serious. At the sporting events themselves, though, beware, nothing good-natured about it.

I disagree that it's just like "foreign" fans in DC though. Here we're used to people from everywhere, and because of Fedex's size there's always a strong contingent from the opposition. My experience is that most other football cities are nowhere near as accustomed to seeing outsider colors. Even in NY, in Manhattan nobody cares but go to a neighborhood bar on Long Island and you'll be hearing it. Not that you'll get beaten up or anything, but I've even had old ladies in the grocery store come up and say "So you're a Redskin fan, are ya?" But mostly its in good fun, and in a place like Philly its a conversation starter. Walk into a strange bar wearing a Sean Taylor jersey and in five minutes you'll be talking football with a handful of the locals. Just don't expect the same treatment at the Linc.

<edit>Just realized that at 18 I'm SURE you won't be anywhere near a bar :ols::ols:. But you know what I mean.

I lived in Philly for years and went to Drexel so I can give you some insight....

...but first off, dude, you got into Duke and Harvard and NYU and you're going to DREXEL? Do yourself a favor, take out the loans, deal with them and go to Harvard. Your starting salary out of undergrad (nevermind grad) will more than make up for it after a few years. Think long-term here.

I lived in Philly for years and went to Drexel so I can give you some insight....

...but first off, dude, you got into Duke and Harvard and NYU and you're going to DREXEL? Do yourself a favor, take out the loans, deal with them and go to Harvard. Your starting salary out of undergrad (nevermind grad) will more than make up for it after a few years. Think long-term here.

for 1, I haven't been accepted into Harvard yet, so I'm waiting it out...

Those decisions don't come out till April 1

---------- Post added March-20th-2011 at 03:59 PM ----------

sorry, if that confused anyone

Yeah do not pass up harvard or duke if you cant afford. you will get your money back as soon as you graduate
Duck Fuke. But you definitely can't pass up Harvard if you get in. Take out the loans, do work-study, and you should be able to get scholarships.

Isn't Drexel pretty expensive too? Is there really that much of a difference in tuition between Drexel and NYU/Duke/Harvard?

I graduated Drexel in '95. Went there for the co-op program which gives good opportunities to students for the application & interviewing process as well as the actualy work you'll do during your 6 month stints. Not sure I agree with taking out student loans to cover uber-expensive universities, while banking on making a ton of coin right out of college. A lot can happen in 4-5 years that could affect your starting salary.

Drexel is in a pretty good area. Right between UPenn & 30th Street Station and essentially in center city, so Philly's finest are going to make sure it's a safe environment. Just make sure to have a friend (or two) with you when you stagger home from New Deck Tavern (assuming it's still there).

I like Philly, too.

You'll be fine. People act like jerks at the game but on the street people are just like people anywhere else.

Do you hassle Eagles fans you see walking down the street around where you live?

They're no different.

Some neighborhoods aren't so great, just like anywhere. But overall, I've always found the people of Philly friendly.

~Bang

I've always felt that way too. Philly might be the friendliest city in the entire northeastern corridor.

Philly fans are fine overall. Passionate and loyal, and knowledgeable... with enough cynicism to counterbalance the obnoxiousness. The problem with Philly fans is they enter the stadium and feel they need to live up to their own reputation.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

I like Philly, too.

They're no different.

~Bang

I've always felt that way too. Philly might be the friendliest city in the entire northeastern corridor.

Philly fans are fine overall. Passionate and loyal, and knowledgeable... with enough cynicism to counterbalance the obnoxiousness. The problem with Philly fans is they enter the stadium and feel they need to live up to their own reputation.

Archived