Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How scared should I be to live in Philly?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Say no more, although 80% means your friend's friends all walked the streets with a Bruce Willis sign and $100 bills hanging out of his pockets. Temple was/is bad. I used to take the bus back to Drexel from LV and Temple was always one of the stops. No one ever got off at those stops after dark, they all planned for arrival during daylight.

UPenn/Drexel area is nothing like Temple.

I lived at 42nd and Walnut for a while in 94. Watched two people get shot out front. Watched some dude walk up to a house and just start shooting into it. Watched 2 cars get stolen. It wasn't nice then. Now it's great.

One of my co-workers went to Temple… told me stories of his time on the Temple football team, how they had a large project immediately beside their practice facility (if they lost a ball over the fence they did not go get it), about the time he got mugged, and about the nice convenience store they referred to as the “Stab-n-go” that they passed daily in between their dorm and the football facility. I asked at the end of the story what percentage of his close friends does he think got robbed or assaulted during their time at Temple. His first gues: 80%.

9th and Diamond was actualyl rated the worst intesection in the United States in 2011 in a news report based on a multitude of things (Crime Activity, Police Reports, Drug Trafficking, etc).

I live right outside of Philly. Been here for going on 11 years now. It's a good area overall. For all the crap we give them Philly sports fans are actually some of the more knowledgeable and down folks around. They "get it". Unfortunately they aren't the best game-day fans on the planet when it comes to behavior, hence their reputation. Mon-Sat though there aren't many other fan-bases you'd want to throw back some brews with.

Great food in the area. Lots of culture. Tons of stuff to see and do. I crack jokes on Philly and Jersey, but honestly it's not a bad town at all. My family likes it here.

The area around Temple is god awful. AWFUL! North Philly has some rough parts.

Son...Temple is thee ghetto.

Stupidly went to a party near there in some old factory without a means of getting back as a freshman with four girls. Getting back home was one of the scariest journeys of my life.

Luckily, there was a drexel student there and she let us cram in her car.

Like 5 random cars had offered us rides and they all were super sketchy

I moved here a few months ago and I really like it. I live in the Museum Area, which is perfect. I can jog around here pretty safely if I want to in the mornings and have a Whole Foods and decent restaurants nearby. If I want the Manhattan experience, I can just walk 10 minutes to the heart of Center City.

I moved here from the Bay Area and I actually like Philly more. It is cheaper, the people are actually nicer than I thought they would be, and the weather hasn't been bad thus far. For young professionals like myself, this is suited for us, given the high grad student population.

This definitely is the first time I have seen Center City described as "the Manhattan experience."

Archived