Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How scared should I be to live in Philly?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

The ES Geographical Homer game. Match up the ES Poster with the region they would **** if it were a woman:

I stared at that for a few moments, wondering how you knew I had a thing for both redheaded women and southern European women. The fact that you mentioned them together took on a certain significance which I won't elaborate upon here, but which REALLY had me wondering how much you must know about my private life. :ols:

Anyway, it's easy to go to bat for a place when it's naturally great, so I'll wear the Boston homer title proudly. I hated Boston when I first moved there, because I didn't get it. I thought the dreary mid-Atlantic and its garbage cities were where it's at. A year of good living in Boston turned me around and opened my eyes to the greatness of a city with vibrant, contiguous neighborhoods that values both economic power and historical fidelity. Boston's micron-thick gruffness can't really hide the joie de vivre in that city -- for those who care to notice -- which you really don't see in most other east coast towns. Notably, NYC has it. But I can't think of a single other city north of DC inclusively that has it. Like they say about STDs in Baltimore: if you get it, you get it and that's that.

• 1 year later...
When i lived there i was always struck by how much trash was laying on the ground.

But that was 30 years ago. That hasn't changed?

~Bang

God no...there is literally just crap everywhere. Center City is really the only place I can shop cuz the Drexel shuttle takes you for free but I dread it. It's gross.

Also, I guess crime is so bad that they take DRASTIC measures city wide. They lock the soda fridges at stores so you have to ask someone to unlock it to get a pepsi, they card you after 10pm at Mc-friggin-Donalds, and other crazy **** like that.

Oh and you are CONSTANTLY barraged by homeless people...to the point where you start getting annoyed.

Thankfully, Drexel is a good ass (EXPENSIVE ASS) place to learn.

I had to get an apartment on 36th and race because campus housing is $18,000 a year

I'm just going to bump this thread because I've lived in Philly for about a year and always wear DC gear and everyone has been cool. I've even seen a decent amount of Skins stuff.

But Philly is a disgusting city...Jesus

Philthy....I lived in that town for a 3 years. There are actually things I miss about it. All food related.

#1 - Wawa. there is simply no alternative in the Washington Metro area. 7/11 has stepped up it's game but on not level even close to Wawa.

#2 - local pizza places. I remember moving into town and trying to find any chain place to deliver to my house. There was no pizza hut, papa johns or dominoes. It took me a day or two to realize that every single block had a mom and pop joint.

#3 - Roast Beef sandwiches with jus. Philly has restaurants that are simply temples to Roast beef. They serve beer, fries and a dude slicing off a giant roast on a cart.

Outside of these things I miss nothing about that city.....actually the soft pretzel thing is pretty solid.

I've lived on Penn campus, the city of Philadelphia isn't really beautiful. What I can tell you is that as a Redskins fan you're not going to get any brotherly love.

Philthy....I lived in that town for a 3 years. There are actually things I miss about it. All food related.

#1 - Wawa. there is simply no alternative in the Washington Metro area. 7/11 has stepped up it's game but on not level even close to Wawa.

I second that, Wawa was one of my favorites.

#2 - local pizza places. I remember moving into town and trying to find any chain place to deliver to my house. There was no pizza hut, papa johns or dominoes. It took me a day or two to realize that every single block had a mom and pop joint.

#3 - Roast Beef sandwiches with jus. Philly has restaurants that are simply temples to Roast beef. They serve beer, fries and a dude slicing off a giant roast on a cart.

Outside of these things I miss nothing about that city.....actually the soft pretzel thing is pretty solid.

There are a lot of Wawas in MD where I grew up. The pizza thing is 100% spot on, there is place called Ed's right next to where I live and it is ******* amazing. Luckily, I'm a naturally skinny **** or I'd be huge by now

---------- Post added November-14th-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

Are you dead yet?

No, the Detroit Tigers (specifically Delmon Young) saved my life the last 2 seasons

I moved here a few months ago and I really like it. I live in the Museum Area, which is perfect. I can jog around here pretty safely if I want to in the mornings and have a Whole Foods and decent restaurants nearby. If I want the Manhattan experience, I can just walk 10 minutes to the heart of Center City.

I moved here from the Bay Area and I actually like Philly more. It is cheaper, the people are actually nicer than I thought they would be, and the weather hasn't been bad thus far. For young professionals like myself, this is suited for us, given the high grad student population.

Philly is awesome. The food is incredible. From pizza shops to the local farms coming into town. Art galleries every where. Lots of culture. A half hour to AC and the beach. Hpour to the slopes. That city has everything you could want. I really like Pennsport< queen anns village area myself. But they were cheaper and close to old city and northern liberties.

My girlfriend started at Drexel for grad school this semester. The biggest difference I've noticed is the people you see when riding the SEPTA compared to when riding the Metro here in DC. Also my best friend went to UPenn for under grad so I am familiar with that section of Philly as well. Don't think I've seen cab drivers who drive faster than those in Philly yet.

My boyfriend's next job was either going to be in Philly, Texas, or at Tysons. I told him it wasn't gonna work if he had to go to Philly or Texas cause I wouldn't move there :silly:

Philly is okay...one of my best friends/old roomie is from West Chester which is like 30 minutes out. We took the "train" to the "city" (as opposed to the metro to DC haha) to visit her friends that went to University of the Arts (I think...one of the art schools) and we had a blast. We walked around at night to get food, there were homeless people, but not any more than in DC or Bmore...we went to a bar and people were cool, nothing super spectacular though. Something about that city is just funky though. It just feels dirty. Maybe it's all the Eagles/Flyers/Phillies fans.

I went to The Linc a couple years ago and there were some reaaal ******* fans. The section we were in was really cool, people were very welcoming, but some of the things people said to us while we were walking around (and I was with my dad, friends, and my friend's dad) were just disgusting.

I'd be "scared" to live there, but that's cause I have a loud mouth and bad temper ...especially when it comes to sports. If I'm drinkin and there's people in Eagles gear, somehow the amount of Super Bowls, or lack thereof, always gets brought up...and it goes downhill from there :silly:

I went to Drexel in early 90s and actually enjoyed being in the city (although hated Drexel) even though I was raised in the sticks. Only "issue" I ever had was the bum outside 7-11 on 34th street, although we kind used to buy him 7-11 hotdogs occasionally.

Italian Market, Reading Terminal Market, Franklin Institute, South Street, Art museum, City Hall/Liberty Bell, Medical museum close to center city, Mummers Parade (1x will be enough!) are all must-do's IMO.

I don't get the hate for Boston I saw expressed a year and a half ago. I was just there on business a few months back and I loved it. Loved the free Sox tickets I got (though I'll agree Fenway is not suited to a normal sized individual), loved little Italy, really enjoyed walking around the main plaza areas. And the accent kills me, as well as their way of phrasing things. Right when the Sox game was finished, it started pouring rain. People were running from canopy to canopy. My co-worker and I were standing under one, and this group of Boston kids runs under it with us, one of them yelling "LET'S TAKE SHEL-TAH." Seriously, let's take shelter? Who the hell talks like that, much less any teenager? The accent was the icing on the cake.

One of my co-workers went to Temple… told me stories of his time on the Temple football team, how they had a large project immediately beside their practice facility (if they lost a ball over the fence they did not go get it), about the time he got mugged, and about the nice convenience store they referred to as the “Stab-n-go” that they passed daily in between their dorm and the football facility. I asked at the end of the story what percentage of his close friends does he think got robbed or assaulted during their time at Temple. His first gues: 80%.

Try google maps street view of the road between the football facility and the project:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Diamond+St&daddr=Diamond+St&hl=en&ll=39.983804,-75.152181&spn=0.004661,0.009645&sll=39.983804,-75.154499&sspn=0.004661,0.009645&geocode=FR4bYgIdH0uF-w%3BFVQbYgIdi0mF-w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=m&z=17

And here’s the Stab-n-go:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2029+North+10th+Street,+Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania,+United+States&hl=en&ll=39.98285,-75.150084&spn=0.001165,0.002411&sll=39.982768,-75.149918&sspn=0.002347,0.004823&hnear=2029+N+10th+St,+Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania+19122&t=m&z=19

One of my co-workers went to Temple

Say no more, although 80% means your friend's friends all walked the streets with a Bruce Willis sign and $100 bills hanging out of his pockets. Temple was/is bad. I used to take the bus back to Drexel from LV and Temple was always one of the stops. No one ever got off at those stops after dark, they all planned for arrival during daylight.

UPenn/Drexel area is nothing like Temple.

Archived