Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

rest in peace, grandpa

MissU28

My mom told me my grandpa died this morning:( I had to leave work. I knew it was coming... we found out last month that he had pancreatic cancer and he didn't want to go through chemo and all of that, so they gave him a maximum 6 months to live, but I didn't think it would be this soon.

I just saw him at Christmas. He was weak and couldn't eat and was on strong painkillers. He had always been such a strong, powerful, admirable man. He was 80 and would be outside taking care of his land...gardening, chopping down trees, doing things 40 year old men do.

My mom was on her way up to help out this morning anyway, so she will be in Maine within the next couple of hours. I will probably fly out this weekend when I find out when the funeral is. I know he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread out on his land.

I haven't talked to my grandma yet. Today is her birthday. They had been together for over 50 years. I don't know what to say to her. I don't know when I'm supposed to.

I had just sent a card to him this morning telling him how much I loved him and that I miss him. He will never get to read it.

This is going to be a very tough year. I am worried about my grandma. She has my aunt around to help her but she lives on 25 acres of land and my grandpa always took care of it.

I loved my grandpa. When I was little my brother and I would wake up at 4 in the morning to go fishing with him on the lake. We looked up to him- everyone listened to him and respected him. He was well-known in the community. He was very helpful to the environment. This profile was written about him in his alumni newsletter: http://www.bates.edu/x170548.xml

Anyway, I'm just waiting around to hear any updates. It feels good to share.

I'm sorry for your loss, MissU28. I can't imagine being in your grandmothers situation, must be extremely tough (to say the least...).

All i know is that Grandparents are truly special.....Be glad that you had this much time to spend with him. It's a lot more time than most people get with their grandparents...

I'm sorry for your loss, MissU28. I can't imagine being in your grandmothers situation, must be extremely tough (to say the least...).

All i know is that Grandparents are truly special.....Be glad that you had this much time to spend with him. It's a lot more time than most people get with their grandparents...

I think I feel worse knowing that as bad as it is for me, how horrible it must be for his three daughters and wife. They were crying on and off all over Christmas seeing him like he was....a lot of my pain is knowing how much pain they are in.

I might add though, he will live forever, in you, and all those who loved him.

For me, every time I work in my garden, and every time I go fishing, and every time I play my guitar, my grandpa is there. He taught me how to do them all, and I got my love for them, from him.

Archived