Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Old School Arcade game

DeanCollins

In the '70's my friends and I used to frequent a dive in Falls Church called "Franks Place" roughly across the street from Coleman power sports on Lee Hyw. It was a crusty old bar with a few moose and deer heads mounted on the wall and crusty old WW2 vets mostly. Both the older and younger generation enjoyed talking trash and they were too old to fight us so it was all good. The greatest thing about the bar was the "Flash-o-matic" shuffle bowl machine. We'd gamble for beers. The old guys could usually win in the straight bowling games but the couldn't win in "flash-o-matic" mode where the rotating lights, indicating varied amount of points required split second timing to achieve the highest score. If I had a game room I would buy one in heartbeat. Here's a newer version on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230311031546&Category=20270&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2 Anyone driving a pick up to FL this winter? :)

2005-04-ShuffleAlleyUnitedGypsy-CompleteTN.jpg

This is a tough one because "Old School" is different for different people.

My idea of "Old" school is a game from the 80's. Like Punch out, or World Series Baseball, or Operation Wolf.

All three of those games were in my basement arcade when I had a house with roomates instead of living by myself. Those were the days....

My favorite was Mr Do. I always loved that game.

If early 90's count, add Wrestlefest, Street Fighter II, and NBA Jam to the list as well.

When we lived in Japan I remmember playing the Pachinko machines. Basically a Japanese version of pinball crossed with slots. I guess I was playing the kids version because I don't ever remember my Dad taking me to the Japanese parlors to play this. ;)

kf0gsw.jpg

I was born in 1980...

1986ish: Kung Fu (they had it at Taco Bueno)

1989ish: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Arcade Game

1992ish: Street Fighter II (I never made many trips to the arcade at this age but it was by far the most popular game and I enjoyed it when I did play)

1994ish: Mortal Kombat II

NBA Jam was also wildly popular but I got bored of that rather quickly... the whole game was just run down the court, dunk, run down the court, dunk, get up by a lot of points and then not be able to make anything until the computer assistance let the other team back in the game.

When we lived in Japan I remmember playing the Pachinko machines. Basically a Japanese version of pinball crossed with slots. I guess I was playing the kids version because I don't ever remember my Dad taking me to the Japanese parlors to play this. ;)

My girlfriend just got the one she had as a kid out of her parents basement and I'm refurbishing it for her.

It's one of the ones with all the pins in it, so it makes a LOT of noises.:(

A thread like this begs for pictures. I was born in 1979, so my prime arcade days were in the 1987-1992 timeframes. Here's what I remember most from my arcade trips.

Double Dragon - Taito Arcade version. Best Double Dragon graphics of any of the series, this was the one where the guys were named "Hammer" and "Spike" instead of Billy and Jimmy Lee. Hammer wore blue and had yellow hair, Spike was Red with Red. Awesome, awesome game.

82528_double-dragon-ss2.jpg

double-dragon.jpg

Next, we have a more obscure game called Crime Fighters, which was four player. You could be the Blue guy, Red guy, Yellow Guy, or Green guy. This game sucked down so many quarters. Because I'm at work, a lot of images are blocked, so the only one I can use right now is the marquee.

Crime_Fighters.JPG

One of the best wrestling graphic games ever, and already mentioned, was WWF Wrestlefest.

wwf_wrestlefest_us_tecmo.png

And of course, TMNT The arcade game, which was adapted poorly on the NES.

TMNT_Arcade_Rocksteady_and_Bebop_Fight.PNG

Those were my big 4 that I played so much in my youth. But I'm also going to throw a shout out to two older favorites, they were phasing out a little by the time I started getting into arcade games, but I purchased both on the Sega Genesis and enjoyed them for hours.

First Up: Altered Beast

27221989yt7.jpg

And of course, the incomparable Golden Ax.

golden-axe.JPG

img_7.jpg

Thanks for this thread, it's making me smile.

I wont even name them..lets see if you can.

double-dragon.png

and I have a bajillion more. I was one of the kids who went to Laurel mall and hung out upstairs at the arcade. or at Greenbelt Mall at the Golden Dome.

You better believe I know this one...see my post. Wasn't that ****er in green at the end of stage 2 so god damned annoying?

You better believe I know this one...see my post. Wasn't that ****er in green at the end of stage 2 so god damned annoying?

hahaha..hell ya!!

I loved the gagging sounds they made when they died. and it was the first game where I remember being able to grab someone by the hair and knee them in the face to death!!

:cheers:

Archived