Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Old School Arcade game

DeanCollins

anyone else grow up with this game?

simpsons-arcade.jpg

Oh yes I remember that game. I use to run with Homer or Marge. Beat it somewhere on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Great times, best $10 worth of quarters I ever spent at the arcades.:notworthy

Speaking of all these, does anyone here actually collect arcade consoles or pinball machines, have a gamer's basement, anything like that. BigMike, I know this must be tempting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-Dragon-Arcade-Coin-op-Video-Game-Machine_W0QQitemZ380063105475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I used to. Then my roomates & I went our seperate ways & there wasn't room for all that stuff in my apartment. A sad day to say the least.

As for the auction, that machine is WAY overpriced. You should be able to get a double dragon for about 100 dollars or so if you look long enough.

Here's what was in our basement arcade (with what we paid for them as well)

WWF Wrestlefest ($200)- First game I ever bought. Got it on ebay

Punch Out ($75). A steal on craigslist. We replaced one monitor on it, worked great

World Series ($100). Another early buy. Had sentimental value because my brother & I played it as kids.

Soul Calibur ($300). Don't quote me on the price. I know my brother & roomate split this at an arcade auction. Our first auction, because we realized soon after that we overpaid.

NBA Jam ($55). Just had to buy the board & control panel. Turned Wrestlefest into it.

Operation Wolf ($10). Broken when we bought it at the auction, my brother fixed it.

Mr. Do ($1). My favorite purchase ever. Best dollar I ever spent.

Funny story about the Mr Do. machine. Me, my brother, my roomate, and a college buddy of my brother's went to an arcade auction. We went in my roomates pathfinder, giving us room for one machine. You get there early, you scope things out, and figure which machines you're going to bid on, etc. Early in the day, my roomate bought something (don't remember which machine). So now we figure we're done. What we didn't know, was that my brother was still by the mob, and bought something else.

He comes up to us & says "I just bought Operation Wolf for ten bucks!"

So now, we have to go rent a U-haul. My brother goes to get it, then calls me to tell me that the smallest they have is a 15 foot box. So I just say **** it, and proceed to buy everything that falls to less than 10 bucks. Mostly stuff that didn't work, but maybe you could get lucky.

A juke box that plays 45's? 10 bucks

Sit down Pole Position (not working) 30 bucks. I still wish I got this to work

Arkaniod (not working) 5 bucks

Kung Fu Master (not working) 20 bucks.

It got so bad, that when the auctioneer got to a machine that was bad, he would just look right at us. He gets to Mr. Do and says.

"Mr. Do, tried to turn it on it didn't work. You guys want it for a dollar?" We said yes.

Next day, we unload everything. I plug Mr Do in. Light is on, but the screen is very faint. I changed ONE fuse, and the picture popped right back. Dropped in a quarter, and I was playing Mr. Do.

We had more games too by the end.

We got Arkanoid to work

We had Skins game (Midway 1999 arcade game) for a bit

Mad Dog McCree (Laser shooter)

Plus at least 5 pinballs that I don't remember. My brother & his gf were more into pinball than I was.

Damnit, now I'm mad. I miss those days.

If anyone is seriously thinking about buying a game, I can help you with pricing it out.

Or visit a really good board over a KLOV (Killer List of Video Games)

I used to. Then my roomates & I went our seperate ways & there wasn't room for all that stuff in my apartment. A sad day to say the least.

As for the auction, that machine is WAY overpriced. You should be able to get a double dragon for about 100 dollars or so if you look long enough.

Here's what was in our basement arcade (with what we paid for them as well)

WWF Wrestlefest ($200)- First game I ever bought. Got it on ebay

Punch Out ($75). A steal on craigslist. We replaced one monitor on it, worked great

World Series ($100). Another early buy. Had sentimental value because my brother & I played it as kids.

Funny story about the Mr Do. machine. Me, my brother, my roomate, and a college buddy of my brother's went to an arcade auction. We went in my roomates pathfinder, giving us room for one machine. You get there early, you scope things out, and figure which machines you're going to bid on, etc. Early in the day, my roomate bought something (don't remember which machine). So now we figure we're done. What we didn't know, was that my brother was still by the mob, and bought something else.

He comes up to us & says "I just bought Operation Wolf for ten bucks!"

So now, we have to go rent a U-haul. My brother goes to get it, then calls me to tell me that the smallest they have is a 15 foot box. So I just say **** it, and proceed to buy everything that falls to less than 10 bucks. Mostly stuff that didn't work, but maybe you could get lucky.

A juke box that plays 45's? 10 bucks

Sit down Pole Position (not working) 30 bucks. I still wish I got this to work

Arkaniod (not working) 5 bucks

Kung Fu Master (not working) 20 bucks.

It got so bad, that when the auctioneer got to a machine that was bad, he would just look right at us. He gets to Mr. Do and says.

"Mr. Do, tried to turn it on it didn't work. You guys want it for a dollar?" We said yes.

Next day, we unload everything. I plug Mr Do in. Light is on, but the screen is very faint. I changed ONE fuse, and the picture popped right back. Dropped in a quarter, and I was playing Mr. Do.

We had more games too by the end.

We got Arkanoid to work

We had Skins game (Midway 1999 arcade game) for a bit

Mad Dog McCree (Laser shooter)

Plus at least 5 pinballs that I don't remember. My brother & his gf were more into pinball than I was.

Damnit, now I'm mad. I miss those days.

If anyone is seriously thinking about buying a game, I can help you with pricing it out.

Or visit a really good board over a KLOV (Killer List of Video Games)

This was a great story. I would love to buy a Double Dragon, but there's no room in my townhouse for it. Maybe someday....

If I had the room and the disposable income, I would also eventually buy Wrestlefest, Golden Ax, TMNT, X-Men, The Simpsons, Altered Beat, and Crime Fighters. So many memories of so many great Saturdays at the arcade.

No love for Asteroids?

asteroids1qw4.jpg

Yeah Asteroids was one of my favorites. My best friend and I would get $5 worth of quarters and head to the Dart Drug that had one because it was never being used, unlike the crowded Bowling alley. We would spend hours playing 2 player on the damn thing.

Galaga is another one that brings back good memories. :)

I remember those shuffle boards. Played those and some light them up combat games back in the day. That was even before pong. Which was one of my favorites as well. When I was a teenager back in Fairfax, we would all hang out at Springfield Mall at the Time Out,(upstairs by an Orange Julius). We'd play some type of torpedo the ships game,(you looked through a pariscope), a game called Tail Gunner, and assorted pinball games. Later on,(after Time Out 2 opened in pace of the Raceway Spaceway), Missile Command ruled the day.

When I was a teenager back in Fairfax, we would all hang out at Springfield Mall at the Time Out,(upstairs by an Orange Julius). .

Same here. We would take the bus from Annandale to the Mall and spend all day at Time Out. Damn that brings back memories.

Archived