Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Old School Arcade game

DeanCollins

A thread like this begs for pictures. I was born in 1979, so my prime arcade days were in the 1987-1992 timeframes. Here's what I remember most from my arcade trips.

Double Dragon - Taito Arcade version. Best Double Dragon graphics of any of the series, this was the one where the guys were named "Hammer" and "Spike" instead of Billy and Jimmy Lee. Hammer wore blue and had yellow hair, Spike was Red with Red. Awesome, awesome game.

82528_double-dragon-ss2.jpg

double-dragon.jpg

Next, we have a more obscure game called Crime Fighters, which was four player. You could be the Blue guy, Red guy, Yellow Guy, or Green guy. This game sucked down so many quarters. Because I'm at work, a lot of images are blocked, so the only one I can use right now is the marquee.

Crime_Fighters.JPG

One of the best wrestling graphic games ever, and already mentioned, was WWF Wrestlefest.

wwf_wrestlefest_us_tecmo.png

And of course, TMNT The arcade game, which was adapted poorly on the NES.

TMNT_Arcade_Rocksteady_and_Bebop_Fight.PNG

Those were my big 4 that I played so much in my youth. But I'm also going to throw a shout out to two older favorites, they were phasing out a little by the time I started getting into arcade games, but I purchased both on the Sega Genesis and enjoyed them for hours.

First Up: Altered Beast

27221989yt7.jpg

And of course, the incomparable Golden Ax.

golden-axe.JPG

img_7.jpg

Thanks for this thread, it's making me smile.

I loved Altered Beast and Golden Ax, two of my favorates. Before that though was Q-bert. i loved that game in the "Pegesus Arcade" in Dale City. I would also play that and the one "Cop" game where you had a gun (player one had a blue gun and player two had a pink gun) and you had to shoot everyone. I forget the name but i spent lots of money on that as well. Also, when the first Mortal Kombat came out for the arcade, the mold was broken.

hahaha..hell ya!!

I loved the gagging sounds they made when they died. and it was the first game where I remember being able to grab someone by the hair and knee them in the face to death!!

:cheers:

You know what else I loved, now that I'm remembering this. Do you ever remember watching the computer demonstration when no one was playing the game? Spike (The red guy) got his ass handed to him while Hammer (The blue guy) was wrecking **** up and throwing down. Because of that, I would always refuse to play as Spike when I was doing two player games, I had to be Hammer. Funny how a 9 year old mind works.

I pwn3d Golden Axe with the dwarf. I was the master of the running jump attack :point2sky

Do you mean the one where he lowered his head and speared people with his horn helmet, or the one where he jumped really high and then drove his ax into someone's head, using his foot for extra leverage? Both were awesome.

I almost always played as the dwarf because the ax ruled, and there wasn't enough magic to make playing the chick worthwhile. But man, when she got her magic bar full, it was time to unleash some hell!

goldenaxe2scr_005-large.jpg

I never played as the human guy, he sucked. "Well rounded" is just another term for "This character blows."

And might I add, the red, fireball spitting dragon was far superior to the blue flame dragon.

Amazing...I can't even remember the birthdays of my inlaws, but I can remember all of this.

the one where he jumped really high and then drove his ax into someone's head, using his foot for extra leverage?

This one. You could seriously eff up some dudes this way. Guys that it normally took 4 shots to kill went down instantly.

And when you had to square off against the steroid-freak knights at the end of each level, I just would bounce back and forth between them in perfect rhythm, as one went down from one of my crushing blows :cool:, the other would be just getting up, where I would run and jump and split his skull, then run back as the other knight was getting up, etc.

It got to the point where I could beat the entire game and maybe lose like one bar of life or something, if that. Those game programers became my ***** :cool:

In the '70's my friends and I used to frequent a dive in Falls Church called "Franks Place" roughly across the street from Coleman power sports on Lee Hyw. It was a crusty old bar with a few moose and deer heads mounted on the wall and crusty old WW2 vets mostly. Both the older and younger generation enjoyed talking trash and they were too old to fight us so it was all good.[/img]

I live just down the street from Frank's Place. Or what used to be Frank's Place. It's been gone for a couple of years now.

As for video games, I was fond of Galaxian, the predecessor to Galaga.

galaxianscreen.gif

Galaxian-LeftSide.jpg

My friends were good at Defender, although I always sucked at it.

defenderscreen.gif

defender.jpg

As a kid I lived in DC near Wisconsin Ave (near Guy Mason) and we'd go down to Nicky's to play video games and pinball. Here's one of the games they had:

Evel%20Knievel%20-%20Destruk%20(Bally)%20(1976)%20Screenshot%20(2.0).jpg

I also enjoyed The Black Knight (one of the first multiple level/multi-ball pinball games):

blackknightlarge.jpg

Archived