Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Old School Arcade game

DeanCollins

Since I'm "only" 28 :D my favorite arcade games are Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I would even "steal" coins out of my mom's purse and go to the arcades with friends to spend the day playing. When we ran out of money we would watch the other guys play, and there were competitions and a few hardcore players that everyone tried to beat with little or no luck.

Ahhh, those beautiful times :)

A thread like this begs for pictures. I was born in 1979, so my prime arcade days were in the 1987-1992 timeframes. Here's what I remember most from my arcade trips.

Double Dragon - Taito Arcade version. Best Double Dragon graphics of any of the series, this was the one where the guys were named "Hammer" and "Spike" instead of Billy and Jimmy Lee. Hammer wore blue and had yellow hair, Spike was Red with Red. Awesome, awesome game.

82528_double-dragon-ss2.jpg

double-dragon.jpg

Next, we have a more obscure game called Crime Fighters, which was four player. You could be the Blue guy, Red guy, Yellow Guy, or Green guy. This game sucked down so many quarters. Because I'm at work, a lot of images are blocked, so the only one I can use right now is the marquee.

Crime_Fighters.JPG

One of the best wrestling graphic games ever, and already mentioned, was WWF Wrestlefest.

wwf_wrestlefest_us_tecmo.png

And of course, TMNT The arcade game, which was adapted poorly on the NES.

TMNT_Arcade_Rocksteady_and_Bebop_Fight.PNG

Those were my big 4 that I played so much in my youth. But I'm also going to throw a shout out to two older favorites, they were phasing out a little by the time I started getting into arcade games, but I purchased both on the Sega Genesis and enjoyed them for hours.

Thanks for this thread, it's making me smile.

You sir have great taste. God I miss good old Co op beat em up games.:applause:

Gauntlet was my favorite. Getting three buddies to play that with you was the best.

"Warrior needs food ... badly!"

"Wizard, your life force is running out!"

Good call on Golden Axe, though. I always played the dwarf too. His reverse move where he summersaulted backwards and hit the guy behind him was my bread-and-butter. Neither of the humans' move worked nearly as well.

anyone else grow up with this game?

I did. Homer's jumping scissors kick where his legs went back and forth really fast was funny as hell, like Petr Korda on speed.

BTW, we should all be giving shout outs to where we grew up playing these. I was in TILT arcade in the basement of Ballston Common Mall most Saturdays. Where was everyone else?

I did. Homer's jumping scissors kick where his legs went back and forth really fast was funny as hell, like Petr Korda on speed.

BTW, we should all be giving shout outs to where we grew up playing these. I was in TILT arcade in the basement of Ballston Common Mall most Saturdays. Where was everyone else?

Depended on what mall we were at.

Golden Dome, Alladin's Castle, Jerry's Subs and Pizza, Woolworth's, the little local place in downtown Silver Spring (across the street from where that crappy mall is now), You name the place and I probably played there.

various ice rinks with mini arcades in 'em.

Too many come to mind but here are a few that I don't think have been mentioned:

Sprint, Lunar Lander, Sea Wolf, Gorf, Zaxxon, Choplifter, Paragon Pinball.

Used to play at The McLean Community Center & Shakey's Pizza at Tysons Corner. Also the Woolworth's and Peoples Drug Stores inside Tysons. And every summer at the arcades in North Myrtle Beach

and for the home system - Intellivision NFL Football

No love for tapper? A game that is solely an advertisement for Budweiser, yet is strangely addictive. Played it the other night & still as fun as I remember.

Out Run is another favorite. Just thought of it now, and now I have to play it. It might look exactly like the arcade on my Saturn, but it wont be the same. Close, but not the same......

Archived