Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

12 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Are reporters not allowed into the "rookie only" portion of training camp???

I was expecting a bunch of tweets, videos, and articles by now.

Unless I've somehow just overlooked reports, it seems that we've gotten nothing substantial from the media

I'm starting to get the shakes. I need my football fix!

I was thinking the same. Thought I had the date wrong. I know just rooks but I figured we’d see something. It’s been dead.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

I could see McCaffery developing into a swiss-army knife type weapon where he gets snaps all over the field.

Slot/outside/RB/H-back/KR/PR...maybe even a little trick play QB action.

My vision is he plays like his dad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

I was thinking the same. Thought I had the date wrong. I know just rooks but I figured we’d see something. It’s been dead.

Probably not a whole lot to report on anyways.  Most of the stuff the rookies are doing at this stage in camp is review and mental reps, probably going over film and plays on the whiteboard.  

• Like 2

With the hyper competitive nature of the nfl resulting in teams doing some of the most minor things to try to gain an advantage I'll never understand why teams don't all report to camp on the same day, that being the first one allowed by the union.

Is it just me or is it frustrating seeing well established teams like the ravens getting started while we have the most turnover by far and are falling days behind?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

With the hyper competitive nature of the nfl resulting in teams doing some of the most minor things to try to gain an advantage I'll never understand why teams don't all report to camp on the same day, that being the first one allowed by the union.

Is it just me or is it frustrating seeing well established teams like the ravens getting started while we have the most turnover by far and are falling days behind?

Never really considered the differences of the start of training for NFL teams, but I’d assume teams have the liberty of creating a schedule to their liking with days off and media stuff and fan events, etc… but each teams’ aggregate practice time would be analogous to every other team as it’s collectively bargained… and thus no competitive advantage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Never really considered the differences of the start of training for NFL teams, but I’d assume teams have the liberty of creating a schedule to their liking with days off and media stuff and fan events, etc… but each teams’ aggregate practice time would be analogous to every other team as it’s collectively bargained… and thus no competitive advantage.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that, and I guess it's debatable as to whether coming in early is an advantage or whether having more training camp days later in August are better but to me starting early and having more time to absorb what you're practicing before opening day seems better but obviously many teams disagree so I'm probably wrong.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'm pretty sure you're right about that, and I guess it's debatable as to whether coming in early is an advantage or whether having more training camp days later in August are better but to me starting early and having more time to absorb what you're practicing before opening day seems better but obviously many teams disagree so I'm probably wrong.

Don’t think it’s necessarily a right or wrong thing, it’s just preference per the organization.  Similar to states school curriculums; go back before Labor Day, after Labor Day, 1 week Christmas Break or 2, Spring Break, teacher work days, the list goes on, and how does that the affect the kids academics and social welfare, who the hell really knows.

I’m sure some teams try to analyze it based on a myriad of metrics.  IMO, it comes down to coaches and players.  

But what’s really bothering you is, football is back and our stupid team isn’t, and I can’t wait for Christmas morning because I live in this stupid time zone, and in Europe it’s Christmas already.  Patience bruh, Tuesday will be here before you know it! 😆🙃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redskinss said:

Teams make their schedules from a Macro standpoint where fans look at them in isolation.  They plan the start of training camp on many things like how did OTAs go. Experience of personnel, conditioning, how hard are the players working on their own and many many more things we don’t even think about.  

I would read nothing into the teams start date other than so far this staff is very experienced and has shown they know what they are doing.  

however, we are fans so not constrained by reason or logic. So in that vein, where are they???  I am ready for football, and now!!!!!  Tomorrow is just too far away!  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Training Camp is heavily influenced by the CBA. I believe start times has nothing to do with team by team, it has to do with when does the union permit them to start.

The ravens first preseason game is 1 day before ours, so their training camp can start 1 day earlier.

I think that's how this works.

You must be pretty certain since you posted it twice  :rofl89:     

All kidding aside, I think you are right. The teams have some leaway but it's nothing like they used to. The CBA disctates much of the training camp and practice process. Still does not mean we have to like it ...  😄 

• Haha 1

<----- Busting out my new avatar... bummer this site seems to frown upon EDIT BIG gifatars - hit the switch to bump up that file size a tad Jumbo!

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

<----- Busting out my new avatar... bummer this site seems to frown upon gifatars - hit the switch Jumbo!

Oh my god, gifatars would be so annoying. Please, no. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

<----- Busting out my new avatar... bummer this site seems to frown upon gifatars - hit the switch Jumbo!

I got like 37 Alt accounts ready to bring this sites servers to its robotic knees if allowed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Silly me, thinking I’d get my son into training camp.  Also looks like they’ve organized it in a way this year that you actually have to provide proof of tix and parking to get in.  Not sure how I missed the announcement.  

Every session is completely sold out.  The buzz is back.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Silly me, thinking I’d get my son into training camp.  Also looks like they’ve organized it in a way this year that you actually have to provide proof of tix and parking to get in.  Not sure how I missed the announcement.  

Every session is completely sold out.  The buzz is back.

I got my tickets for August 6th on July 1st. All of the other days were already sold out. 

Is Ahmed the only kicker on the roster? If so, will he have no competition in camp? Are they just waiting for a better kicker to be released? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think I'm using one in my avatar. 

Sweet! The one i tried failed - I will have to double down on a JD gif  - I am hitting size limitations. thanks for chiming in!  Nice tar by the way!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sweet! The one i tried failed - I will have to double down on a JD gif  - I am hitting size limitations. thanks for chiming in!  Nice tar by the way!

You're welcome. 

It does have to be fairly small and not a ton of motion to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kalu44 said:

Is Ahmed the only kicker on the roster? If so, will he have no competition in camp? Are they just waiting for a better kicker to be released? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm a bit shocked the team didn't upgrade after the UFL season ended. All those teams had guys they preferred over Ahmed, and I know at least one (Bates) signed with an NFL team (who already had a kicker). Ultimately, I suspect the team will pick someone up at cut-downs as those will likely prove to be the best options.

The problem is really timing. By the time McManus got cut, all the decent FAs and even UDFAs have signed somewhere. By my count around 47 kickers are currently on NFL rosters (https://www.espn.com/nfl/players/_/position/k). Why sign the 50th best guy now when you can wait for cuts and maybe get the 30th best guy? I'm guessing that's the plan.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm a bit shocked the team didn't upgrade after the UFL season ended. All those teams had guys they preferred over Ahmed, and I know at least one (Bates) signed with an NFL team (who already had a kicker). Ultimately, I suspect the team will pick someone up at cut-downs as those will likely prove to be the best options.

The problem is really timing. By the time McManus got cut, all the decent FAs and even UDFAs have signed somewhere. By my count around 47 kickers are currently on NFL rosters (https://www.espn.com/nfl/players/_/position/k). Why sign the 50th best guy now when you can wait for cuts and maybe get the 30th best guy? I'm guessing that's the plan.

Funny I came here today to discuss the kicker as it had not been talked about very often.  Again we will struggle at placekicker, such a vital position.  Maybe some day......

As for Ahmed I guess they had to sign someone but I'd be surprised if he is the kicker on opening day.  

41 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Funny I came here today to discuss the kicker as it had not been talked about very often.  Again we will struggle at placekicker, such a vital position.  Maybe some day......

As for Ahmed I guess they had to sign someone but I'd be surprised if he is the kicker on opening day.  

Kick offs are going to be about 30 yards or something. Who cares?

• Haha 1