Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois

PCS

Jer’Zhan Newton Dominates

There are a lot of words I can use to describe Illinois’ defensive tackle Jer’Zhan Newton:

Relentless

Tenacious

Focused

Strategic is another word I would use when talking about Newton. Illinois moved him all around on the line of scrimmage to make sure he got the chance to test everyone ⎯and test for vulnerabilities in offensive line personnel. This is the type of player opposing lineman have to be aware of on every single snap. This is the type of player NFL offensive coordinators will have to game plan for.

Pocket wrecker

The name of the game on defense is stop the pass ⎯get lockdown cornerbacks and guys who can light a fire in the pocket and put heat on the quarterback.

Newton is highly flammable. He is always on ‘attack mode.’ Because of this he draws his share of double teams, but even then that’s not a lock to contain him because he fights that tandem like he’s in a cage match.

No off switch

Newton is a ball of energy with a lightning fast swim move and he’s got one thing and one thing only on his mind and that’s closing the deal. He’s quarterback minded. Per Pro Football Focus this past season, Newton participated in 402 pass rushing plays and posted eight sacks, seven hits, 28 hurries and two batted passes.

Run stuffer

Newtons’ efforts to stop the run were just as impressive. This isn’t one of those guys who’s taking plays off or one of those guys who’s going to be backhanding a paycheck. Nope. Newton is a complete 3-down defender. He’s a baller playing the run and he’ll stop at nothing to get to the ball carrier.

Run defense is where Newton’s raw brute power is on full display Newton plays the run like it’s personal. He punishes ball carriers inside the box or he’ll chase it out to the sideline. It doesn’t matter, he has the will and he’ll find the way.

2023 run stats:  52 tackle  26 solo  26 assists

Answers

When I walked away from Newton’s 2022 game film, I had four questions:

1. 2023 pressure and sack production? ✓

2. Level of consistency as a pass rusher? ✓

3. Can he make quick changes of direction?

4. Run defense numbers? ✓

Newton’s hurries decreased from 36 to 28, but his sacks doubled from four to eight. He was consistent getting after the quarterback. The same issue persisted of not being able to always make quick enough change of direction in the pocket and his tackles stayed about the same (59 in 2022 and 52 in 2023).

2024 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Athletic active and cat-quick force of nature with a high compete level. Plays hard snap to whistle. He wants it. Strong at the point of attack. Equally distributed body mass and power. Uses hands well. Presses gaps hard. Additional slap and head fake pass rush moves shown. Crashes in like storm waves against rocks. Sudden. Good one-gear speed. Accelerates in short areas, but lacks that coveted short-area bolting burst. Closes hard. Excellent instincts. Battles run game blockers. Impressive wrapping tackler. Always in or around the action.

Final words

Newton is a difference-maker.

Daniel Kelly is a former NFL Scout with the New York Jets. He was hired on the regime which featured Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum, and Dick Haley. He is currently the Editor-in-Chief for First Round Mock, contributes at Yardbarker, and has written for Sports Illustrated Lions, Jets, and 49ers, as well as a featured guest on ESPN Radio and Fox Sports Radio.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I spent the past four years holding a grudge against Jer'Zhan Newton, but I am ready to root him on.  The grudge stems from the fact the he originally committed to the University of Maryland out of HS, but later Lovie Smith and Illinois were able to flip him.  He wasn't considered a blue chip prospect coming out of HS, but he was considered a good prospect and probably had a dozen or so Power 5 offers.  His loss hurt as his loss left a hole in the DT class UMD was bringing in.  So I kind of had the attitude I hope he doesn't amount to anything at the college level.  But he obviously did become a great college player.   Now I am ready to root for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Illinois did a lot of rush 3 and dropped the end on Newton side. He faced a lot of double teams as a result. His numbers would have been even more stand out in traditional defense.

They moved around a lot too. He played on the weak side a ton. I LOVE THIS PICK. Literally salivating about the stunts Quinn is sitting in his basement right now designing. 

This pick should be unanimously celebrated. It's the type of pick teams that are in the playoffs more often than not always seem to make. Strictly from the point of view of interior pass rush, both from a fundamental and athletic point of view, he has no weaknesses. Elite upper body explosion, sledge hammers for hands, and oh by the way those sledge hammers are absolute poetry in motion. Be happier. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

“The Unstoppable Jer’Zahn “Johnny” Newton…

“The Scariest Player In College Football”

Said by an anonymous o-lineman drafted on day three about playing Newton, “That crazy guy they got number 4, he scary and he play dirty. Don’t want no parts of him. A fella could get hurt trying to slow him down.  I just let him go about his business.”

Baldy— Newton’s my number one defensive lineman in this draft.

He plays nasty.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Newton was spotted in the gym this morning working on his hand technique. 

main-qimg-eda280057bf7d0cb373e2c5e82fad192.gif.fc790613c4a9164e84812fde7feff6e8.gif

I'm so stoked we got this guy.

I can't recall seeing a defensive tackle use his hands better than him certainly not for us anyway. 

• Haha 2

A question for you guys who play attention to real details--

I heard it mentioned that we could occasionally play Allen at DE and have Payne and "Nasty Newton" playing together in the middle.

Just how good do you think Allen projects to be playing on the edge?

Is it the kind of configuration that might become a staple and give offenses fits or is it better as an every now and again change of pace?

13 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I heard it mentioned that we could occasionally play Allen at DE and have Payne and "Nasty Newton" playing together in the middle.

Is it the kind of configuration that might become a staple and give offenses fits or is it better as an every now and again change of pace?

Allen would be okay as a DE, but it is kind of like when Kansas experimented with Chris Jones at DE.  He went from being an elite player to a good player.   Allen would likely go from being a good to average player if you move him to DE.   Thus I don't see us using Allen as a traditional DE a lot.

More likely playing the 3 of them would probably be part of an odd man front (center covered but Guards not covered).  Most teams mix in odd man fronts, but very few make it a staple defense.  The odds are we would use it to l to create favorable matchups and mix up the O-Line, but I highly doubt it would be a staple.   That said we may use them more often than average given that those three probably end up being our best 3 D-Lineman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I think we got very lucky he couldn’t run at combine. His speed and quickness jumps off the film. I would assume high 4.7’s-low 4.9’s. May be an adjustment period for him but I love the pick.

He’s definitely 4.7-4.8 at the slowest. He was chasing QBs down. I love it.

13 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Allen wouldn't make a very good 4-3 DE or Edge. He'd be an awesome 3-4 DE though, and I could see us running that front sometimes. Something like Allen/Payne/Newton DL(with Armstrong and Ferrell as rotational pieces). 4 LBs could be Wagner, Luvu, Fowler, and Davis. Maybe a situational or matchup thing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 2:06 PM, FrFan said:

Athletic active and cat-quick force of nature with a high compete level. Plays hard snap to whistle. He wants it. Strong at the point of attack. Equally distributed body mass and power. Uses hands well. Presses gaps hard. Additional slap and head fake pass rush moves shown. Crashes in like storm waves against rocks. Sudden. Good one-gear speed. Accelerates in short areas, but lacks that coveted short-area bolting burst. Closes hard. Excellent instincts. Battles run game blockers. Impressive wrapping tackler. Always in or around the action.

"Crashes in like storm waves on rocks"...."He wants it". 

Nuff said....sign me up.

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen wouldn't make a very good 4-3 DE or Edge. He'd be an awesome 3-4 DE though, and I could see us running that front sometimes. Something like Allen/Payne/Newton DL(with Armstrong and Ferrell as rotational pieces). 4 LBs could be Wagner, Luvu, Fowler, and Davis. Maybe a situational or matchup thing.

Could Chinn serve as a 4th LB? 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

NE had at least one season where they would pretty regularly use both a 4-3 and 3-4.

16 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Payne and/or Newton would be the guys that move around IMO. 

Payne was even quoted as saying he can play end and played some snaps when chase and montez left. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I think we got very lucky he couldn’t run at combine. His speed and quickness jumps off the film. I would assume high 4.7’s-low 4.9’s. May be an adjustment period for him but I love the pick.

If he blew up the combine and ran thev40 at say a legit 4.77, plus  did the cone stuff, the shuttles, the high jumps,  verticals et al, and was equally adept at them, I predict thatvwith his established pedigree, and the resulting praise he'd get as an athletic freak from the talking heads on tv that he likely goes no later than the mid 20s.

Their loss is our gain.

Steal of the draft.