Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Commanders to retire Darrell Green's No. 28: 'Means a ton'

@DCGoldPants

56 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He’s announcing a day 2 pick at the draft too, by the looks of it.

Last time he announced a pick it was…Terry Mclaurin. So maybe D Green should announce every pick lolol

• Like 2

Have this video on a loop. Playing over and over again... and each time, it stirs deep emotions in me.

Thought my fandom had died. But I realized that I was just trying to isolate myself from the pain and heartache.

Like Oliver Twist, I want some more of this type of feeling... 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I made it to Canton to see Darell and Art get inducted into the HOF. Had a great time, congrads to the Man on the Island who always covered the other team best W.R. on either side of the field.

Would love to have been there.....very cool. 

Anyone know if the retirement announcement of Darrell Green's number has any possible bearing on his involvement in the team this year? Just wondering if there's been any discussion having him mentor Emmanuel Forbes. I know Darrell mentioned that he could help him in just 10 minutes.

Edited by keithabbott

1 hour ago, keithabbott said:

Anyone know if the retirement announcement of Darrell Green's number has any possible bearing on his involvement in the team this year? Just wondering if there's been any discussion having him mentor Emmanuel Forbes. I know Darrell mentioned that he could help him in just 10 minutes.

I wish we had a time machine of some sort that would enable him to be on our current team today and in his prime. That would be an enormous addition to this defense. And while we;re at it, Sean Taylor too, may he RIP. If the defense we have right now had those two added to it, sheesh...I don't even want to think about what opposing teams would have to contend with. 

All I can say about this is it's well deserved and about damn time!!!! Also while we're at it can we PLEASE get Jacoby in the HOF??? I feel like if he was a Cowboy he would have been a first ballet choice 

Edited by DazedSkinsfan

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Have they retired 9 yet? It would seem like, with Sonny's age, this would have been the first one on the list. 

Congrats to DG though. Well deserved. 

Third post on this page.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Thanks, I guess I don't remember that. Seemed like it would be an obvious move, and the team clearly thought so too. 

Jurgensen being on the list signals to me that at some point, Riggins number will be retired, and as you said about the age thing, I'm hoping it happens sometime soon.

8 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Jurgensen being on the list signals to me that at some point, Riggins number will be retired, and as you said about the age thing, I'm hoping it happens sometime soon.

I don't think there is any question Riggo gets retired. He's old, but not that old. My worry with Sonny was, if you wait even a year, he might not be around to enjoy it. Would have seemed like a bad gamble to take to wait. 

I love Riggo and I guess given the NFL no longer restricts the numbers by position and the fact the NFL rarely utilizes a fullback, you could retire 44 and 81.  Honestly, I feel like those are the only numbers worth considering.  They are already in the ring. we have to remember what retiring means, nobody will wear that number again, you need at least 69 numbers, although only 48 active on game day, 53 on roster, 16 on practice squad.  So, even with Riggo and Monk, you got 92 numbers left to choose from.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I They are already in the ring. we have to remember what retiring means, nobody will wear that number again, you need at least 69 numbers, although only 48 active on game day, 53 on roster, 16 on practice squad.  So, even with Riggo and Monk, you got 92 numbers left to choose from.

That's why retiring numbers is dumb. Eventually numbers will run out as teams continue to do this. The league could say as long as two players with the same number could be on a team as long as they're on the field at the same time. 

Honor them in a ring of honor like the organization has done. Maybe the new owners could create a team museum/hall of fame to honor the folks who would have traditionally had numbers retired and other team legends. 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

That's why retiring numbers is dumb. Eventually numbers will run out as teams continue to do this. The league could say as long as two players with the same number could be on a team as long as they're on the field at the same time. 

Honor them in a ring of honor like the organization has done. Maybe the new owners could create a team museum/hall of fame to honor the folks who would have traditionally had numbers retired and other team legends. 

Retiring numbers is awesome, and should be regarded as the absolute greatest and rarest honor. It should be done far less. Imo we should only have Baugh and Green retired, but whatever. Sonny and Riggo would not qualify for me. Or Mitchell. I know people are understandably touchy about it, but not ST either. 

58 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Is that a jersey ?

That jersey looks like it has a burgundy outline around it.

It’s a small towel in the shape of a jersey lol