Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Commanders to retire Darrell Green's No. 28: 'Means a ton'

@DCGoldPants

Great news and long deserved.

Darrell Green was "Mr. Redskin" when he was playing and is still one of the greatest cornerbacks, not just in Washington history,  but in NFL history. 

Congrats #28. :815: :cheers:

• Like 3

This was so well done. 

Now mind you, everything decent to us is foreign and new since the previous regime jaded us into oblivion but the video, the strategy and everything, it had more to it than the pathetic rebranding effort by those who's name will no longer be spoken.

And I love Riggo, Monk and Joey T. but I feel like this is the one you retire to represent the longevity, decency and level of excellence of Green and that era.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

This was so well done. 

Now mind you, everything decent to us is foreign and new since the previous regime jaded us into oblivion but the video, the strategy and everything, it had more to it than the pathetic rebranding effort by those who's name will no longer be spoken.

And I love Riggo, Monk and Joey T. but I feel like this is the one you retire to represent the longevity, decency and level of excellence of Green and that era.

Makes you wonder if Jason Wright was even involved in the whole process...after all, he didn't just suddenly figure out how to properly plan and execute a project like this, especially based on his previous FUBARs with Sean Taylor and others.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

It's about ****ing time!  I am so happy but at the same time,...it just rekindles my hatred for the previous regime.

Congratulations Darrell -- overdue but much, much deserved.  A legendary Redskin and NFL player.  One of the best ever.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

You would have to think Riggins and Monk would be next.

Riggins didn't spend his entire career here.  Key guy in team history but not sure his # should be retired.  Heck, he quit on the team once, though it may have eventually led to the hiring of Gibbs.

4 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Don't know why an old man like me is getting all emotional watching this video.

Leadership does make a difference. Well done, by the Front Office. 

This is how you get some people back into the fold. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Riggins didn't spend his entire career here.  Key guy in team history but not sure his # should be retired.  Heck, he quit on the team once, though it may have eventually led to the hiring of Gibbs.

His number should, and will be retired.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Best of the best. Him and Monk were leaders and great men. Miss that now. Congrats speedy!

I made it to Canton to see Darell and Art get inducted into the HOF. Had a great time, congrads to the Man on the Island who always covered the other team best W.R. on either side of the field.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I made it to Canton to see Darell and Art get inducted into the HOF. Had a great time, congrads to the Man on the Island who always covered the other team best W.R. on either side of the field.

was there also

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I still have 3 tix to that event - mine and my parents'.  After they arrived, my cousin had to go and schedule his wedding the same day....  Grrr....  I mean, he's just my father's brother's son.  WTH, right?

• Thumb up 1

Great move. Maybe unpopular but I think Green should be only the second jersey number we have retired (after Baugh). I won’t argue anyone about it but imo it should only be Baugh and Green right now. Ring of fame, statues, whatever else—tons of deserving players, especially from the original Gibbs era. But as far as jersey number retirements, you can only do so many of those throughout a franchise’s history. Baugh and Green stand above the rest as being deserving, each representing an important historic era and historic career. 

But again, I get this is very personal and arbitrary, so I won’t argue others who feel differently. I just think retiring a number should be the absolute greatest, rarest honor, even above a gold HOF jacket or a Ring of Honor placement. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Great move. Maybe unpopular but I think Green should be only the second jersey number we have retired (after Baugh). I won’t argue anyone about it but imo it should only be Baugh and Green right now. Ring of fame, statues, whatever else—tons of deserving players, especially from the original Gibbs era. But as far as jersey number retirements, you can only do so many of those throughout a franchise’s history. Baugh and Green stand above the rest as being deserving, each representing an important historic era and historic career. 

But again, I get this is very personal and arbitrary, so I won’t argue others who feel differently. I just think retiring a number should be the absolute greatest, rarest honor, even above a gold HOF jacket or a Ring of Honor placement. 

He is one of the best CB's to ever play the game.   I'd say that's more than deserving of this.   

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

He is one of the best CB's to ever play the game.   I'd say that's more than deserving of this.   

I agree. If you think I don’t, give my post another read lol. I said in my ideal world, only Baugh and Green have retired numbers for us (but that I know many won’t agree) 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I agree. If you think I don’t, give me post another read lol. I said in my ideal world, only Baugh and Green have retired numbers for us (but that I know many won’t agree) 

Lol, thanks for the confirmation.