Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 2023 Really our Worst Defense Ever???

Renegade7

Is 2023 Really our Worst Defense Ever???  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is 2023 Really our Worst Defense Ever???

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I see you can't spell or count...bravo...

I saw this graph on Reddit and made me shake my head some of the seasons I rememebered...but something doesn't feel right...

RDT_20240102_1950131049049002216794620.thumb.jpg.8ee78b84d2243aa8ce32c1f56e0f1901.jpg

I'm not here to defend this year's defense, it's ironically indefensible.

But it's also gonna shatter the record because we have one game left to go still, regular season expanded.  I do remember the 2013 defense being bad, the whole collapse of the 2012 team, but I don't remember the 2012 team being on the top 15 for most points allowed by our franchise in a single season.

Like, this year's unit was lost from get-go, completely underachieving in every way imaginable, we fired our DC, players quit, everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

But offenses also score more points now then they even did.  Is that really a fair judge in what makes a defense terrible?  By itself, I don't think so when I see the 2021 unit on that list, that can't be our 5th worst defense ever, they stepped back, but I'd argue some of the defenses we had when coaches were on the way were worse from an inability to stop people standpoint i guess in the context of offenses at the time.

If I'm not making sense, jus say so, why I'm reaching out to make sure I'm not crazy here.  Total points allowed definitely has its place in establishing how good or bad a Defense is.  But for a franchise coming in on nearly century old, is this really the worst one? 

I'm actually leaning towards yes, but I can't speak to any level of detail on defenses before 2000, I was jus too young and not getting how good or bad what I was watching was yet (born '88).

• Thanks 1

Tough to compare across eras. Those early 1960s Redskins defenses were legendarily bad, and that'd probably still be how I would vote. Also, they played three fewer games per season back then.

That 1954 team gave up 432 points in a 12-game season. That's pretty awful!

Averaging it out per game, the '54 team gave up 36 points per game, while the 2023 team is giving up an average of 30. So maybe there's your answer.

Edited by profusion
  • Thanks 4

Been watching the Skins since 1965...This is the most discombobulated team I've seen. Coaches who don't/can't coach. RR standing like a zombie with NO Emotion. JDR refusing to change defenses, FO drafting players who can't/won't  PLAY and running those players who proved themselves out of town. I see players CELEBRATING a 1st down or simple stop like it was a career moment..I see quitters..and I see what good players we have left ,demoralized and publicly saying they are looking  forward to playing with a "Contender" or a Organization WITH A FRICKIN CLUE.

What a stinking pile of crap. Changed the culture??? No...destroyed the culture and fan base. Unwatchable...

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I saw this graph on Reddit and made me shake my head some of the seasons I rememebered...but something doesn't feel right...

Points and yards gained by the opposing team per game are the best indicators of a teams defensive quality.

We are at 480 points allowed, which is historically bad.

But we have allowed opposing teams 396.4 yards on average per game, according to ESPN.

That's still far from the worst teams in this category, as you see below.

image.png.172df152a416d4db7d62c60d0eb4c641.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Like, this year's unit was lost from get-go, completely underachieving in every way imaginable, we fired our DC, players quit, everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

That's what's been so frustrating about this season. It was a top 10 defense last year and fell apart despite not suffering serious injuries that would explain it. I have a feeling a lot of players got sick of Dustup Del Rio s approach or he tried to change a schemes or isn't putting players in the right positions...which he seemed to be doing ok last year, so what happened?

I have a feeling anonymous players will come out of the woodwork after Ron is fired to say the locker room had poor morale and bad teamwork for a variety of reasons, because the drop off certainly wasn't due to injuries.

• Like 3

I am going to assume we were the first defense to ever allow 6000 yards in league history.  Even if not we must have been close to setting yet another futility record on defense. Every damn year there is one that just pops up... worst defense in league history on 3rd and 15+ etc. Most consecutive losses to rookie QBs. Most 99 yard drives allowed. Most times giving up 9 yards on first down. If there was a way to quantify it I am certain this year we'd learn WRs were open deep by the widest of margins ever. A nearest defender fail record. WRs deep vs the Commanders were open by an average of 4.5 yards...

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I am going to assume we were the first defense to ever allow 6000 yards in league history.  Even if not we must have been close to setting yet another futility record on defense. Every damn year there is one that just pops up... worst defense in league history on 3rd and 15+ etc. Most consecutive losses to rookie QBs. Most 99 yard drives allowed. Most times giving up 9 yards on first down. If there was a way to quantify it I am certain this year we'd learn WRs were open deep by the widest of margins ever. A nearest defender fail record. WRs deep vs the Commanders were open by an average of 4.5 yards...

Worst defense with most players selected in the first-round. Pretty sure you can add that.

And the absolutely maddening stat of Sweat being the sack leader on two different teams after being traded.  Now that's insane.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Points and yards gained by the opposing team per game are the best indicators of a teams defensive quality.

We are at 480 points allowed, which is historically bad.

But we have allowed opposing teams 396.4 yards on average per game, according to ESPN.

That's still far from the worst teams in this category, as you see below.

image.png.172df152a416d4db7d62c60d0eb4c641.png

I would guess that one of the main reasons for the difference between the points allowed rankings and the yards allowed rankings is that pick-sixes count as 7 points allowed, but zero yards allowed for the defense.  Sure seems like we should be close to some kind of record on pick-sixes against us.  I believe other turnovers that result in our opponent having a short field to score would also impact this points-allowed vs.yards-allowed difference.

34 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I have no idea since I was wise enough to stop watching these clowns after about the bears game.:bye:

That's when I knew that unit wasn't gonna get better this year.

It's not unusual the defense start suspect them help carry us down the stretch.

Not this year, it ended the season before it started.

• Thumb up 1

Doesn’t matter who the coordinator is, for years we always see wide open touchdowns with the secondary looking confused with each other. It’s like the wise philosopher once said, “Double moves. Ain’t nothing you can do about it.” - Carlos Rogers.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Number 44 said:

I would guess that one of the main reasons for the difference between the points allowed rankings and the yards allowed rankings is that pick-sixes count as 7 points allowed, but zero yards allowed for the defense.  Sure seems like we should be close to some kind of record on pick-sixes against us.  I believe other turnovers that result in our opponent having a short field to score would also impact this points-allowed vs.yards-allowed difference.

i can't remember exactly where I read it but an analyst demonstrated that if your teams suffers a pick-6 your chances of winning a game fall by 60% or there abouts.

It's such a devastating play.

5 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I have no idea since I was wise enough to stop watching these clowns after about the bears game.:bye:

Not coincidentally, thats when CHI turned their season around with some serious passing by Fields.

• Like 1

On the Aiyuk wide open TD, Barton or an LB was smiling and patting the DB on the head as it to say good job.

I cannot ever recall seeing players acting that way after giving up a TD.  I have seen lots of tanking and crappy football.