Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Rams - The One Where One Gets Rammed

zCommander

10 minutes ago, dunfer said:

there is no science to winning superbowls while your qb is cheap. its just luck.

If you think youve got a qb that can run your offense invest in where you suck

Exactly my point. The key being while your QB is cheap.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think what you mean to say he’s not stepping up into the pocket.  Often times his center and /or a guard is in lap and EB doesn’t call many plays where the pocket moves.  Over time, everything looks worse because he’s been hit a bazillion times and he’s out of sync with happy feet.  I think Ramsay’d is actually a fitting term for where he is. 

But I will stand on the fact that if he’s really been the primary issue all along, it’s odd that there’s not a ton of tape floating around showing as much.  Which always exists when a QB is playing poorly.  

Primary issue no. He’s a talented QB. This isn’t a Haskins situation. Howell can actually play in the NFL. He did struggle though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I don't think it's necessarily that people are tired of looking for an upgrade at QB. More like it's quite hard to make a realistic judgement on Howell since he's been so beat up all year and is now clearly shell shocked. If we don't get some serious OL upgrades and hopefully a much better play caller, then a shiny new rookie QB probably isn't going to fare a whole lot better.

I 100% agree that we must upgrade other positions, but I think the past month has shown us the major flaws in Sam's game that made him fall to being a 5th round pick. He had the sack issue in college also. Of course our garbage OL is a part of it but I think he's clearly part of the problem. 

Maybe an influx in talent around him and different coaching can help, but I'm not hopeful right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

While I get some here are 100% draft qb and some 100% trade down.  I just hope we get a solid gm/coach combo that has a plan we can see.

Elias for the Orioles was frustrating at times, but I could see the plan in action.  It's been so long idk what it'll look like, but I hope to see it soon.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I 100% agree that we must upgrade other positions, but I think the past month has shown us the major flaws in Sam's game that made him fall to being a 5th round pick. He had the sack issue in college also. Of course our garbage OL is a part of it but I think he's clearly part of the problem. 

Maybe an influx in talent around him and different coaching can help, but I'm not hopeful right now. 

Right, he's been bad for the last month. But the issue there is where the shell shocked thing comes into play IMO. He showed lots of promise earlier but I have a feeling that the constant beatdowns finally got to him. You could see his footwork regress, rhythm was off, sensing pressure too soon, etc.

I'm not saying he's the guy, just that I think it's really hard to try and evaluate him with how bad everything was in general. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Everything has changed.

Allen and Terry used to be vocal leaders respected on a national level, now folks want them both gone.  All this talk about how franchise was committed to Howell for the future is in question and likely not true at this point.

Every player worth anything is now worth less even if I disagreed with trading them.  I can't think of what else worse going this season then already had.

Folks optimistic this will get right just because we have a new owner, I'm not there anymore, not first time team I've followed changed owners, won't be the last.  That has to be earned for me, this is like watching all the plants in the house die at the same time, I agree there's nothing worth saving here now and it didnt have to be this way.

Things getting worse and worse as the doomed season progressed was something many of us expected. McLaurin and Allen and Payne getting fan hate in a lost season means nothing, the incoming GM is going to do whatever he’s going to do regardless of how fans felt down the stretch this season. 

Everything is the same. Nobody is asking you to blindly believe, all we can hope is that Harris makes intelligent hires and that those hired make intelligent decisions. That was always the case. 

“The franchise” being committed to Howell was never a real thing because nobody who is going to be making those decisions works here yet, except for maybe some analytical insight from Shen for whoever we hire. It was just a middle-of-a-lost-season puff quote because Howell flashing was the only thing fans could possibly care about. It was never a statement from ownership about our future franchise QB. We don’t want Harris making those calls anyways.

You’re spiraling for no reason, basically. 

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not at that stage of grief yet, give me a minute...

Fair!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree if the idea is that the 2025 draft is as stacked at 2024 at QB.  Granted things can change.  But for the moment trading up to get Ewers or Beck or name that 2025 prospect, yawn

This right here. Next years class is not good. Yes someone will rise during the season. But none of them are going to be close to the top 5 qb's in this class. Hell if the new GM likes Sam I would still be tempted to use the high second rounder on Nix or Penix over any of next years QB's. And yes this years QB's have flaws. ALL OF THEM DO every year. It is the GM and coaches job to work around their flaws. I still think Sam can be a good starter in this league. What this season has proven to me is he most likely will never be a game changing superstar. 

As I said earlier in the thread I am fine with trading up for one of the top 2, sitting pat and picking whats left at 4 or picking a guy to compete against Sam in the second or a trade up late into round 1 for the 5th year option. But we MUST come away with one of the top 5 guys in this draft IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The best thing I can say about Ron’s culture is giving a coach a nipple twist is clearly out of bounds. 

I guess it took 4 years to get to that but here we are 

You know if you had the chance you'd want to touch Jay grudens nipple as well!!!:) I know I would. Lol

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This right here. Next years class is not good. Yes someone will rise during the season. But none of them are going to be close to the top 5 qb's in this class. Hell if the new GM likes Sam I would still be tempted to use the high second rounder on Nix or Penix over any of next years QB's. And yes this years QB's have flaws. ALL OF THEM DO every year. It is the GM and coaches job to work around their flaws. I still think Sam can be a good starter in this league. What this season has proven to me is he most likely will never be a game changing superstar. 

As I said earlier in the thread I am fine with trading up for one of the top 2, sitting pat and picking whats left at 4 or picking a guy to compete against Sam in the second or a trade up late into round 1 for the 5th year option. But we MUST come away with one of the top 5 guys in this draft IMO.

Yep.  If we do what some want which is load the roster around Sam next year.  I don't think this team is going to suck in 2024.   They should have been mediocre this year but the coaching job was horrific.    Picking 5 times in the top 100 and spending 100 million in FA is unlikely going to result in this team sucking in 2024.

So if lets say Howell isn't the guy.  We likely are going to have to trade multiple ones and 2's to move up higher in the 2025 draft but to draft whom?  It's almost never the top Qb in the draft, they go #1 and that pick isn't traded typically.  So it would be trading up for a prospect like Ewers.

It sucks looking for a QB in down Qb drafts.    And its certainly a viable theory right now that 2025 at a minimum isn't as good as 2024.   

It would be nuts IMO to just let this opportunity pass us by. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I know some people seem to think this QB class is magical, but all of the top prospects have some concerning flaws. None are at all "can't miss" types. And if we're sitting around 4 or so we'll probably have to settle for whoever falls and hope his flaws cause the least problems.

Not magical, every player has flaws and reasons they may not succeed. This is a very strong class. At some point you need to try. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  If we do what some want which is load the roster around Sam next year.  I don't think this team is going to suck in 2024.   They should have been mediocre this year but the coaching job was horrific.    Picking 5 times in the top 100 and spending 100 million in FA is unlikely going to result in this team sucking in 2024.

So if lets say Howell isn't the guy.  We likely are going to have to trade multiple ones and 2's to move up higher in the 2025 draft but to draft whom?  It's almost never the top Qb in the draft, they go #1 and that pick isn't traded typically.  So it would be trading up for a prospect like Ewers.

It sucks looking for a QB in down Qb drafts.    And its certainly a viable theory right now that 2025 at a minimum isn't as good as 2024.   

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1