Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Giant L, Again, to the Giants. Did I say Again, yet? Again.

KDawg

Offense

"What do you think about your team's execution?"

McKay: "I'm in favor of it."

Defense

9 sacks.

Specs

Slye missed.

Other

Okay so to prevent this from being a total mail in next day thread...Someone in the gameday thread said they wanted to see more scorched Earth here. And just burn it down and crush everyone and everything. That might be therapeutic, but what purpose does it prove? It's not terribly constructive and the abundance of negativity in that kind of thread is just not good for the soul. 

At the end of the day, this isn't a great football team. And on top of that, the Giants just have our number. I didn't expect us to win, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I expected a debacle in a lot of ways. I didn't think it would be that ugly, but we are clearly in a lame duck regime and the players are clearly over the whole thing. I don't mean they've given up. Of course they haven't. Neither have the coaches. But that kind of thing is in the back of their minds. Are they going to be kept by the new regime? What if they go to a different scheme? There are all sorts of things to distract a team who is in transition. 

I could sit here and breakdown the issues today:

-Leno is just not quick enough at this point in his career to match up with the athletic edges

-Situational playcalling and play

-Clock management

-Extra points

-Basic fundamentals of blocking, tackling and ball security

-An emotionless head coach who probably has severe PTSD from his time with Snyder.

-The Commanders find another way to look extremely unprofessional... No hot water in the stadium of a professional football team. 

I could keep going. But instead... here are a few highlights:

Brian Robinson has really emerged as a dynamic playmaker. I think we could use a fast dynamic back, still, but he is a very good piece to keep around and move forward with. 

KJ Henry has been solid the last few weeks.

Quan Martin had a nice big hit today.

Jon Allen and Daron Payne showed up and played pretty well today. 

Tress Way is really good. 

Wylie didn't get beat.

Mayo and Davis played relatively well in all things not related to coverage. I think Jamin might be a pretty good weakside 3-4 OLB. I think Mayo might be a pretty good 3-4 ILB. 

We'll see what happens Thursday. I don't have any expectations, really. I don't know what version of this team is going to show up week to week. But I do know, offensively, we got away from the quick passing offense that we've run the last few weeks. If we go back to that against Dallas we may be able to get into a track meet and a little bit of luck can take us to the promised land.

Or we'll get rolled. 

I can't wait to find out together. 

Studs and Duds:

** - Brian Robinson

* - KJ Henry

* - Quan Martin

* - Jamin Davis (not his fault he's covering a RB who is almost a WR man to man)

* - David Mayo

:( - Charles Leno

I could give a lot more. But I don't want to.

Season Studs/Duds

12x* - Sam Howell

11x* - Kam Curl

11x* - Terry McLaurin

11x* - Brian Robinson

5x* - Daron Payne

5x*- Montez Sweat

5x* - Jamison Crowder

4x* - Curtis Samuel

3x* - Chase Young

3x* - Casey Toohill

3x* - Jahan Dotson

3x* - Tyler Larsen

3x* - Antonio Gibson

2x* - Joey Slye

2x* - Logan Thomas

2x* - Kendall Fuller

2x* - Jon Allen

2x* - Jamin Davis

2x* - KJ Henry

2x* - Quan Martin

1x* - Ben St Juste

1x* - Darrick Forrest

1x* - Logan Thomas

1x* - Byron Pringle

1x* - David Mayo

1x :( - Charles Leno

1x :( - Percy Butler

1x :( - Emmanuel Forbes

2x :( - Danny Johnson

3x :( - Cody Barton

3x :( - Nick Gates

4x :( - Saadhiq Charles

6x :( - Cheeseman 

11x :( - Andrew Wylie

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Coaches torally didnt have the team ready.

Im wondering if the coaches laughed off NY and just started planning for Dallass

I agree, they did not have team ready...again!

every week either the offense or the defense looks unprepared for the opponents. 

2 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

This game confirmed to me two things:

1. This organisation shouldn’t be married to Sam Howell

2. Everyone, and I do mean every single player we have should be available for the right price

While they can't just be married to Howell, he still deserves opportunity with protection. QB competition is needed

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I'm stuck at work today and haven't been able to keep up at all other than checking here once or twice but how did Sam look today??

Pressured, hurried and off kilter. He was by far not the problem today, but he didn’t make good decisions.

• Like 4

Remember when Lord Farquaad said he had planned to hire a GM, but then decided the most successful teams were "coach-centric" as his excuse for repeating his usual pattern of handing over full personnel control to Rivera. This game is the perfect example of why that seldom works and why the disaster of the previous regime lay in its utter refusal to hire a qualified GM.

Thibodeaux is better than our waste of a #2 overall Chase Young ever was for us, and we passed on 2 franchise QBs to take him, despite already having 3 first rounders invested in the DL.

More inexcusably, Christian Darrisaw, whom PFF has rated as the top OT this year, was passed over for Jamin Davis. Davis is good, but not great. Darrisaw is elite at a more crucial position - one for which our deficiency was brutally exposed today. JOK, who went in the 2nd just after Cosmi, is probably as good as Davis.

There are certainly some bright spots like B Robinson and Howell, but the overall roster is poor, even after 4 years. Most of the draft has been spent on defense, and yet a rookie scrub QB just put up a 130 QBR against us.

Bienemy called a well-balanced game today - you can't blame him for RBs fumbling the ball. His one egregious blunder was waiting until late in the game to add in a TE to help block Thibodeaux - something he should have anticipated given how badly Thibodeaux abused our OL the last game.

Edited by Riggo-toni
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Damn that sucks to hear,  hopefully it's due to poor coaching and gameplan 

O-line was beat like a drum most of the game. Howell felt the pressure and made some really poor decisions on his 3 INT's.

First pick: Overthrew Dyami, though Dyami slowed down on the route and prevented him from making a better play on it.

Second pick: Ill-advised deep shot into double coverage that sailed for an eternity. Shouldn't have been thrown.

Third pick: Watching the replay, the pocket was crowded, but Howell wasn't hit, and threw a floaty duck into the flat instead of getting more under it and throwing it away. Another bad decision. I think he was seeing ghosts by this point.

O-line was putrid in the 4th quarter. Embarrassing.

• Like 2

It is 101% coaching, or lack thereof.

How can this team be very competitive against Philly then lay eggs against teams like the Bears and Giants? Its coaching. Maybe the coaching staff have all of the players watching old Mr. Magoo cartoons, or maybe they're not focusing on certain aspects of upcoming opponents, thinking 'well we'll just do this instead }.

I'm not all giddy on Howell like some are; he has a good arm but he is really lacking in some fundamentals of being a QB, and to see him throwing the ball into triple coverage, WEEK AFTER WEEK, well its starting to remind me of Rex Grossman. Yes the o-line is horrible, but maybe its the coaching they get that isn't working. If anything ditch the team's gourmet chef and just put the linemen on a beer and donut diet. These guys are big enough but they get man-handled like they weigh 150 lbs...

• Like 2

Ok I’ll be positive here. Especially in the face of most people’s hate for our draft. 
Forbes, Martin and Henry looked very good today. 

Id like to see more of stromberg. I think our draft class is pretty decent and it’s time to start letting them play more. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moondog said:

Ok I’ll be positive here. Especially in the face of most people’s hate for our draft. 
Forbes, Martin and Henry looked very good today. 

Id like to see more of stromberg. I think our draft class is pretty decent and it’s time to start letting them play more. 

Stromberg is injured.

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Can we please be done once and for all with Tanya Snyder's ****ing Steelers unis. It's bad enough we have a Taco Holder for our team logo.

They should have worn the black uni on Thursday to confuse the Cowboys in thinking they are playing the Steelers and okay to lose to an AFC team.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Giants’ and Commanders’ locker rooms at FedEx Field had no hot water for showers after today’s game ended. A Commanders’ official said: “We had an equipment failure in the main water heater that provides hot water to the field level locker rooms. We can’t resolve the matter without completely shutting off the water to the stadium, which is why it couldn’t be repaired in game.”

per Adam Schefter.  :ols: 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1

On the first interception why were Brown and another receiver running down the same lane within five yards of each other? I understand that receivers have optionality in their routes, but it seems like our guys go to the same spot way too often. I know I watch more Commanders games than others, but I don’t think I see it as often with others.

Looked like the stadium was less than half filled. That’s a problem.

• Like 2

Just now, Ball Security said:

On the first interception why were Brown and another receiver running down the same lane within five yards of each other? I understand that receivers have optionality in their routes, but it seems like our guys go to the same spot way too often. I know I watch more Commanders games than others, but I don’t think I see it as often with others.

Looked like the stadium was less than half filled. That’s a problem.

Our scheme sucks but our receivers are also low IQ and don't know how to run the right routes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Giants’ and Commanders’ locker rooms at FedEx Field had no hot water for showers after today’s game ended. A Commanders’ official said: “We had an equipment failure in the main water heater that provides hot water to the field level locker rooms. We can’t resolve the matter without completely shutting off the water to the stadium, which is why it couldn’t be repaired in game.”

Extra cruel for Curtis Samuel.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Good.

After 9 punts, 4 total fumbles, 3 INT's, and 13 combined sacks given up, neither of these moist garbage teams deserve a shower.

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3