Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Social Media platforms do you use???

Renegade7

What Social Media platforms do you use???  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What Social Media platforms do you use???

• Extremeskins
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • TikTok
    • Snapchat
    • LinkedIn
    • Reddit
    • X (Twitter)
    • Other
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • None that I can talk about...

A couple people mentioned ES is there only one, this and Reddit are the only ones I post anymore, ES well of 90%, the other rarely.

Some like Instagram I only hold on for folks that send me stuff and have trouble getting it out and sending another way, but it's on my tablet not my phone.  It's frustrating giving up Facebook years ago, but holding on to remnants like WhatsApp because of what other people prefer.

As part of this being sharing and option to not just have general convo but alternative means for staying in touch (especially for folks that aren't ready for phone numbers are live nowhere near each other), I advise clarity in platforms you have active accounts versus ones you read without one.

I have my opinions, but I don't judge.

ES - 1st one at 15yo and best at correcting with sources, learned a lot here

Reddit - much more comfortable with idea subreddit post are less influenced by algorithms to manipulate us then others, I can expect certain content based on the description as well

Snapchat - to get kids stuff from Wifey that she posts, they still want my profile pick because I haven't snapped yet

Instagram - nothing I can't get on Reddit and waaaay too much mad TV Stuart "Look at me, look what I can do" to anything but say I saw it a week after someone sent it to me...email it to me please

LinkedIn - I normally don't like adding people I've never met, but some of y'all I've known here my entire adult life and we already connects.  PM me if you want and ill shoot you mine, I think it's the new Facebook, so I only use it for networking, looking for a job, and the videos in LinkedIn learning.  You'd think that's what its for, but it's turning too much into Instagram some of the stuff being posted now

Xhitter - X(Twitter)_ whatever its called, I was done, I didn't need it nor wanted anything to do with what Elon was starting to use it for and the real-world damage that was doing.  The recent ES Blip made me realize it is still good at getting fresh off the press what the hell is really going on updates depending on who you follow, and one of the few mediums to truly directly communicate with famous or powerful people via your phone. So it's back on my phone.

I do NOT have a Facebook anymore for years now because of their actively using data on us to put specific things in our feeds to try to get us to do certain things.  Even if that has them looking the other way at the genocide its fermeting because more users mean more folks seeing ads on your platform.  Thats not a Socia Media platform and neither is Tik Tok, that **** is that wrapped in SpyWare by China (I agree TikTok should be banned in US for more reasons then just that).

Poll is public and can pick multiple if you use multiple platforms...I'm Fro_of_Norfolk on Reddit and X...folks want to debate what a social media platform is because of how many could fit it other, I'm game...

I'm here mostly but I use Twitter and Facebook.  Tiktok I have and watch videos but I don't post at all there.  Twitter I've started on more as my free time has increased.  I actually don't think it is that bad.  But I'm careful who I follow, never stray to the 'for you' tab, amd don't really get into the comments.  But I try to keep my following tab to things that are important etc.  I don't just follow random bull****.

Facebook i have and will check out if I'm really bored.  It's mostly for Buzzette to tag me in stuff so people know I'm alive.  

I'm Buzz Grambo on those.  I used to care more about anonymity and separation of lives when I was active duty.  Got nothing to hide now.

• Like 1

ES i obviously use actively. 

LinkedIn I post things that my firm’s marketing team send to me to post. Check other people maybe once per week. 

Twitter I look at once or twice a week, I never actively tweet. 

Reddit I look at once or twice a week, I almost never post. 

Got off FB for good 7 years ago. Was never very active. Never had Insta or Snapchat. Do not use TikTok other than opening links my wife sends me. 

I've heard horror stories about "Extremeskins" so I steer very clear of that cesspool.

I have Facebook, but I rarely use it. I think the last thing I posted was over a year ago. It's mostly just people I know IRL.

I have Twitter and look at it every once in a while (or when a link is posted in here), and also still manage to occasionally get sucked into debates with mouth breathing MAGAs and anti-vaxxers, but I'm doing my best to stop. It's so awful now anyway, since it has mostly turned into a right wing and white nationalist radioactive wasteland.

I have Instagram but I don't think I've ever posted anything there. I follow a few people who I find interesting, but rarely check it.

I personally don't really think of Linkedin as "Social Media" but I can see how it could be seen as such. I do have a Linkedin and use it for professional and networking use, though I rarely look at it (I think I legit have like 50 unread messages on there - which may not necessarily be a great reflection on me professionally, but oh well)

I think I have Snapchat on my phone, but I can't remember the lats time I actually logged into it.

I avoid TikTok like the plague.

I go to Reddit sometimes when looking for information, but I don't post there and don't think I even have a login.

I go to OnlyFans every 15 minutes.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Never used any of that other stuff, even during the off-season. i like my privacy.

Sister asked how she could disappear in the digital age, be a ghost of she went to go live off the land in the woods. 

Told her first thing she had to do was stop sending me stuff on Instagram I gotta keep my account open to see from her.

• Haha 1

@mistertim

I'm a firm believer in either have a LinkedIn or DONT have one, in between is worse them not having one to a lot of people, like recruiters.

I'm not discoverable right now, but I'm not much in regards to resume updates at any given moment to be ready to go on multiple job sites simultaneously jus in case.

About a year ago half my team was let go off same time and within 6 months I was promoted to assimilate all their positions into one.  No warning, our team even helped build the contract proposal and at best noticed stuff that "didn't look right"...

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@mistertim

I'm a firm believer in either have a LinkedIn or DONT have one, in between is worse them not having one to a lot of people, like recruiters.

I'm not discoverable right now, but I'm not much in regards to resume updates at any given moment to be ready to go on multiple job sites simultaneously jus in case.

About a year ago half my team was let go off same time and within 6 months I was promoted to assimilate all their positions into one.  No warning, our team even helped build the contract proposal and at best noticed stuff that "didn't look right"...

I'm trying to figure out if this post is calling me out for having a Linkedin but not responding to all messages or is more of a general thought on the matter. (There's nothing wrong with calling me out for it, I'm just not quite sure)

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm trying to figure out if this post is calling me out for having a Linkedin but not responding to all messages or is more of a general thought on the matter. (There's nothing wrong with calling me out for it, I'm just not quite sure)

General thought, I ain't your Daddy.

• Haha 3

Other than here, Twitter and Reddit. I have an instagram account just so I can’t look at others pictures. I don’t post anything. 

reddit is a hilarious madhouse, and a shockingly good resource at times. Twitter is a great place to follow your favorite writers, comedians, and get sports updates. Elon or not, if you want updates I think it’s the best place to get them. Just got to watch out for the algorithms attempts to radicalize you. ES is essentially a support group for troubled DC spots fans. 

I haven’t used Facebook in over a decade. I’m afraid of Nextdoor.  TikTok can be fun, but if it suspects you might like politics it will try to force feed you pure insanity. Not my vibe.

• Like 1

I oddly use Snapchat more than anything else.  I like taking pictures and sharing what I am up to, even if I only have like 40 friends.  My friends and family tell me all the time to open up an Instagram account, but I have resisted.  Also use Facebook and post a few times a year.  That is still the best platform to keep up with friends and family imo.

Completely forgot I had a Linkedin account until you mentioned it.  Career pfft who needs that.  Now that I am getting back into the workforce maybe I should update that.  I don't like Twitter at all for some reason, seems like a bunch of people spouting off whatever comes to their head.

ES is clearly the most important one on the internet.

Oh and I opened up a Reddit account several months ago.  That site is hard to navigate imo.  Lots of content though, some XXX rated stuff too.

@abdcskins good luck getting back in workforce, bro...

Your post reminded me of two distinctions in two different platforms:

Facebook - keeping up with friends and family is not the same as staying in touch with friends and family.  Not saying you weren't doing both, I just knew I wasn't, and was part of getting rid of it to help force the staying in touch part versus pretending I was.

Twitter - I see this complaint of peoples comments all the time and how debating there is damn near hopeless.   So don't, its a far more tolerable and useful platform when you just focus on the content of who you follow versus engaging with anyone else that is.  I follow a lot of different cybersecurity agencies to help with heads up on what's going on around me, there's no need to debate CISA in that format. Some people (if they are even real people)are in there just to fight and its just a distraction versus a general requirement of the platform, imo.

Edited by Renegade7

9 hours ago, Destino said:

TikTok can be fun, but if it suspects you might like politics it will try to force feed you pure insanity. Not my vibe.

I like politics more than most but my Tiktok is all funny dog videos and dad jokes.  It shows you more of what you look at.  If you're disciplined,  it's actually a fun waste of time.

• Like 1

Extremeskins: Almost 20 years ago, this site coined the term, "PALOFFS IS NOW!" so I'll always be indebted to the depth ES has added to my life.

Facebook: I joined Facebook the summer of 2004 when it was limited to .edu email addresses.  I didn't use it super actively (maybe 2-3x a week) until I was in Japan for work for like 3 weeks in 2008. I was just accepting whatever friend requests came along but then I realized there were like 200 people I knew on it.  I was pretty active on it until the 2016 election, when I realized how destructive it was.  I still login 1-2x a month, but I went through and manually deleted every single like, post, comment, etc.

Instagram: This is the only social media I actively use.  And yes, I know I'm a hypocrite here, because Instagram is owned by Facebook.

TikTok: I joined bc of my niece, but I deleted it. This is basically like ADHD in app form.  I'm told this is where all the cool kids hang out these days.

Snapchat: I joined bc of my niece, but I also deleted it.

LinkedIn: I'm on it and I keep it updated, but I try to avoid it.  I'm lucky enough to be relatively successful in my career, but some of the people who are active there are straight up sociopaths-- people who are barely out of college and declare themselves thought leaders, etc.

Reddit: This place used to be really good for finding people to talk about detailed topics.  It still is, but it's gotten insanely popular in the past few years and it's hard to filter out the good stuff from all the noise.  Also, there's a lot of promoted subreddits that are really just rage-bait (i.e.: subreddits that feature nothing but people acting like complete jerks in public).

X (Twitter): I quit the day Elon said he was buying it.  This was another one where I deleted all of my tweets and likes.  In general, I try to maintain a limited history on any social media.  It's a shame because the original twitter was probably my favorite social networking platform, and it slowly devolved into a complete cesspool.

Other-Myspace: I was on MySpace for a while in the mid-2000s.  It was really weird because there was a cultural split at the time between people who went to college (who joined Facebook) and people who didn't (who joined MySpace). Even though Facebook started allowing non-.edu emails, the reputations were already set, and Facebook spent a while trying to overcome MySpace's success.

Other-Classmates.com: LOL

Other-AdultFriendFinder: No Comment
  • Haha 1

Extremeskins: Yes
Facebook: Joined for about 2 months ~10 years ago. Hated it. 
Instagram: Have an account but never posted anything.
TikTok: No
Snapchat: No
LinkedIn: Yes, but never post anything. Look at about once a month now that I'm retired. 
Reddit: No
X (Twitter): Yes, but never post anything. 

10 hours ago, Destino said:

Other than here, Twitter and Reddit. I have an instagram account just so I can’t look at others pictures. I don’t post anything. 

reddit is a hilarious madhouse, and a shockingly good resource at times. Twitter is a great place to follow your favorite writers, comedians, and get sports updates. Elon or not, if you want updates I think it’s the best place to get them. Just got to watch out for the algorithms attempts to radicalize you. ES is essentially a support group for troubled DC spots fans. 

I haven’t used Facebook in over a decade. I’m afraid of Nextdoor.  TikTok can be fun, but if it suspects you might like politics it will try to force feed you pure insanity. Not my vibe.

Glad you mentioned Nextdoor. It is the best! The things that people say are so unintentionally hilarious. I’ve learned to only have it on my desktop instead of my phone. Because it so easy to accidentally react to a post when you are scrolling. It’s one thing to hit the smile button when someone posts a picture of a puppy. It’s quite another when you accidentally thumb up someone saying something problematic.

I occasionally scan Reddit but the circlejerk is so bad. r/commanders is solid but overloaded with hot takes. ES does a good job of organizing threads in the Stadium so we don't get 600 different threads from 600 different people.

Reddit does skew more towards the youth with the memes too. You rarely see them in stadium. Stadium has paloffs is now, Reddit has their "game gay" on r/commanders and "Brunell_The_GOAT" who threatened to delete his account and eventually did

I mostly check instagram every day and use it heavily. Many of the memes there like the guy singing to creed come from tiktok as well as Vegas Matt, so there's a lot of heavy overlap as content creators just post to both. So I feel like I'm not missing anything by not using TikTok. Plus the whole links to China etc. Heck I'm not sure I can even have a TikTok account in my "line of work".

Edited by ixcuincle

I think Reddit has some pretty decent physics/science content, but if I really want that I'll usually go to Stack Exchange. However, Reddit is a bit better if you're looking for more layperson explanations when it comes to physics. physics.stackexchange tends to be very math heavy as a lot of stuff is answered by actual physicists, or people in PhD programs.