Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Social Media platforms do you use???

Renegade7

What Social Media platforms do you use???  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Social Media platforms do you use???

• Extremeskins
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • TikTok
    • Snapchat
    • LinkedIn
    • Reddit
    • X (Twitter)
    • Other
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • None that I can talk about...

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Meh TikTok gets singled out because they refuse to sell all the information they gather to the highest bidder like Murican companies. 

Lmfao @  "It's one thing for Americans to be spying on Americans". So yeah its ok as long as we're the ones doing it. Whys that exactly? 

And it's not even "We the American government", but "We the American Corporations who will turn around and sell-out to China as long as the price is right"

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

No, they're not getting rid of the spyware, they're just saying "China spyware bad, all other spyware good!"  Get rid of ALL THE ****ING SPYWARE!

Bro, that's the next law comin I posted.

Boeing isn't spying in the US to help China make better fighter Jets that may fight us over Taiwan...this is different, not your typical Spyware.

Comparing the typical American company buying and selling our data to China using every advantage possible to supplement us as dominant superpower in the world is mixing apple and oranges...calling tik to Spyware doesn't do it justice...so yes, getting it out of Chinese control is a big deal. 

Not good enough, I agree with you, but it's different and it matters.

5 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Meh TikTok gets singled out because they refuse to sell all the information they gather to the highest bidder like Murican companies. 

Lmfao @  "It's one thing for Americans to be spying on Americans". So yeah its ok as long as we're the ones doing it. Whys that exactly? 

This is ludicrous...contextualizing isn't justifying...

Too deep in the forest to see the woods, Alphabet wouldn't turn Guam to dust to further their interests in Asia if they had to, China would.

We aren't in a Cold War with Instagram.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Cambridge Analytica says hello. 🤣

This level of whataboutism is truly annoying.

That company has gone out of business 5 years ago and isn't actively preparing to go to war with us.

This is cute that all Spyware is created equal like them all being bad makes them all equally bad.

None of these APTs out here are directly tied to or covered by American companies, it's a different threat entirely.

Edited by Renegade7

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Bro, that's the next law comin I posted.

Boeing isn't spying in the US to help China make better fighter Jets that may fight us over Taiwan...this is different, not your typical Spyware.

Comparing the typical American company buying and selling our data to China using every advantage possible to supplement us as dominant superpower in the world is mixing apple and oranges...calling tik to Spyware doesn't do it justice...so yes, getting it out of Chinese control is a big deal. 

Not good enough, I agree with you, but it's different and it matters.

This is ludicrous...contextualizing isn't justifying...

Too deep in the forest to see the woods, Alphabet wouldn't turn Guam to dust to further their interests in Asia if they had to, China would.

We aren't in a Cold War with Instagram.

If TikTok is being installed on phones that contain classified information detrimental to national security, that's a whole different problem.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It's why the federal government banned feds like me from putting it on our phones.

https://apnews.com/article/why-is-tiktok-being-banned-7d2de01d3ac5ab2b8ec2239dc7f2b20d

But let's give Facebook and Apple and Google and Angry Birds and Candy Crush a direct line to the same data, who can sell it to the highest all sufficiently high bidders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PokerPacker said:

But let's give Facebook and Apple and Google and Angry Birds and Candy Crush a direct line to the same data, who can sell it to the highest all sufficiently high bidders.

No, Poker, no one is saying that.

Getting Tik Tok out of China's hands is a separate big fn deal then the need for a American version of GDPR, which is actively in committee as we speak.

Hey, we got something right finally while not being able to agree what color the sky is.  Don't throw a parade, but throw it in the trash.

No one is downplaying the significance of American companies spying on us.  But there is substantial evidence to pointing to why Tik Tok was a different threat then just that alone.

Scenario 1: China has spyware app that everybody downloads.  China obtains information from spyware.  Bad :(

S
cenario 2: American app-maker makes app that everybody downloads.  China buys information from app-maker.  App-maker make money.  Good :)

Scenario 3: All American companies have strong sense of Patriotism and refuse to sell information to China (haha).  Hundreds of Patriotic companies make spyware apps that  people install on their phones.  Hundres of Patriotic companies get information.  A dozen of them have inadequate cybersecurity for dealing with state-level hackers and information is obtained by China.  But Patriots still made money in the process.  Good :) 

If the information is out there, it's out there.  If you don't address the root issue and just the immediately visible part, you haven't solved anything at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are killing me @PokerPacker

You've lost patience on the matter, you aren't alone.

I could only dream of APRA when I was in college for undergrad. Folks are finally waking up.

You're trying to push a point that everyone gets like nobody gets it out of frustration it's not moving fast enough. Stop, you don't need to.

MFA says what's up, Public Option is sitting right next to it also dying from starvation.

But I do risk analysis for a living.  You aren't going to convince me China and Angry Birds pose an equal threat.  Not when I participate in daily SOC briefings at my agency.

Stick to the case this isn't moving fast enough a Im with you, but as dysfunctional as our government is right now I'm not fittin to complain about why we don't fix everything at the same time when I already know the answer and see it every day at work.

I don't understand why we have a million apps.  The world-wide-web was a standard.  At some point all the companies turned from "Web 2.0", "Web 3.0" to "nah... we want you to use our app so we can spy on you."  They can vacuum up our data via web as it is, but at least website calls can be traced.  Whereas they could encrypt all the data they are sucking about us through the app and act like, "I need to serve up some API with special sauce". 

And these are people like Zuckerberg and Musk who rememeber what no internet was like.  All these apps are like their own AOL/Compuserve CDs... 

Sorry, I graduated from college in the early 2000s and what has happened now is abhorrent and the "future" (now the present) is a damn nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

@Fergasun

Sometimes I wonder if the relationship between apps and OSs like Android and iOS are too geared in their nature to apps pulling data from our phones to be "fixed".

I'm so tired of having constantly check if apps get permissions back after updates or Android puts random games on my phone after upgrades.

My next will be a pinephone...I can't deal anymore, I tried a flip phone first couple months of this year and jus feels like this world doesn't support that anymore (don't realize how bad it is until you try now, most stadiums in dc dont take paper tickets anymore, for example).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c289n8m4j19o.amp

TikTok's Chinese parent company ByteDance says it has no intention of selling the business after the US passed a law to force it to sell the hugely popular video app or be banned in America.

"ByteDance doesn't have any plans to sell TikTok," the company posted on its official account on Toutiao, a social media platform it owns.

giphy (6).gif

• Like 1

TikTok is allowing users to spread manipulated videos of Biden, despite the platform's policies

Deceptively altered videos of President Joe Biden with audio added to depict him receiving profanity-filled jeers are spreading on TikTok without any labeling or disclosure, seemingly violating the platform’s policies. TikTok has a history of falling short when it comes to moderating AI-generated or deceptively altered content. 

According to TikTok’s Community Guidelines, “synthetic or manipulated media that shows realistic scenes must be clearly disclosed” by displaying “a sticker or caption, such as ‘synthetic’, ‘fake’, ‘not real’, or ‘altered.’” The policy goes on to specify that “material that has been edited, spliced, or combined (such as video and audio) in a way that may mislead a person about real-world events” is not allowed. 

TikTok has a history of failing to enforce this policy and could have allowed users to profit from content violating it. Deepfake videos promoting bitcoin scams, sketchy health products, and AI-generated conspiracy theories have proliferated on the platform, along with other deceptively edited videos of politicians. In some instances, users may have profited from TikTok’s Creator Rewards program (formerly the Creativity Program), which is designed to pay creators for content over 60 seconds long that they post on the platform.

Media Matters has now found multiple videos on TikTok that depict Biden with altered audio and do not have any labels or disclosure about the alteration. (These videos are less than 60 seconds long, so they appear to not be eligible for the rewards program.)

On April 29, Snopes identified a video of Biden’s April 17 visit to a Pittsburgh-area Sheetz convenience store, which was altered to include profanity-filled jeers and other heckling and was shared on social media. The inserted audio reportedly originated from a video taken by a protester heckling Biden’s motorcade during his 2023 visit to Maui.

Click on the link for the full article