Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential GM Candidates

actorguy1

Ian Cunningham, Andy Weidl:  Chicago and Pittsburgh AGMs respectively who both came up under Ozzie in Baltimore and spent time with Philadelphia during their championship year.

Kyle Smith: knows the roster & likely still has relationships with FO personnel in the organization. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Good question.

I have a feeling Harris & Co have been doing God's work coming up with a list of candidates. 

Maybe they will look at other teams with consistent rosters and poach an up and comer from one of those teams.

For me, those teams would be Philly, Balty, 49ers, maybe even Detroit 👀

Jon Ferrari

Eric Halaby

Adam Peters

Ozzie Newsome 😆

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Awesome article!!! Thanks for posting

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cunningham and Weidl are definitely my top two wants.

Cunny turned down the Cards GM spot last year, which I'm really hoping is a sign for the future.

Hope Cunningham was doing us a solid with the Sweat deal and not the mastermind thinking it was a great trade for da Bears.

You don't want any Ryan Poles residue on Cunningham. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

You don't want any Ryan Poles residue on Cunningham. 

That's NOT the mental image I needed on a Saturday morning.

I would not be displeased with Andy Weidl...

Andy has worked for two outstanding organizations in Philly and Baltimore

And Pittsburgh? Sign me the **** up.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Ian Cunningham, Andy Weidl:  Chicago and Pittsburgh AGMs respectively who both came up under Ozzie in Baltimore and spent time with Philadelphia during their championship year.

Kyle Smith: knows the roster & likely still has relationships with FO personnel in the organization. 

Kyle Smith exited with a VERY different roster.  I’m not sure there are 10 players on the team who were here when Kyle was here. 

——————————-

My cautionary tale of GMs: the dude from Chicago who just made the ridiculous trade for Sweat with a 2-6 team had a ling and illustrious career with the Chiefs and was a rising star.  He’s been somewhat of a debacle as GM

Finding a GM is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My cautionary tale of GMs: the dude from Chicago who just made the ridiculous trade for Sweat with a 2-6 team had a ling and illustrious career with the Chiefs and was a rising star.  He’s been somewhat of a debacle as GM

Finding a GM is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get 

Hard pass on anyone from Kansas City not named Reid or mahomes.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 2

I dont want Adam Peters. I think the Shanny system allows so much flexibility in assessing value to their oline. They can get more out of less with it. Along with Kyle system having the least "margin" between run and pass. 

Couple it with their weird FO set up with Kyle really being the shot caller working hand in hand with Lynch im a hard pass. 

I want Cunningham or Alec Halaby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Weidl is really interesting for me as well. Philly rebuilt the way it appears we are going to rebuild. Trade for draft picks and allow your college scouting department to do their job. That IMO is the best way to build a team with lasting impact.

• Like 1

Missed picks, bad deals: How the Commanders failed at roster-building

When Washington selected Chase Young with the second pick in the 2020 draft, Coach Ron Rivera and the team’s personnel staff, then led by Kyle Smith, believed he was the right guy for what the team needed at the time. They had a young, developing quarterback in Dwayne Haskins, and Young was regarded by most analysts to be the best overall player in his class.

“It’d have been very hard to convince me that somebody else would be as impactful as the guy we drafted,” Rivera said at the time.

Young was a Pro Bowler and the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year in 2020, but missed 23 games over the next three seasons because of injuries. When he was healthy, his impact was notable but inconsistent, and Washington’s starting line of four former first-round picks failed to meet expectations. Washington traded him to the San Francisco 49ers for a compensatory third-round pick Tuesday, with Young still months from finishing his rookie deal.

“Everything’s a possibility,” defensive line coach Jeff Zgonina said Friday. “Every time you step out of your car, you can be fired in this business. There’s only one person safe in this building. That’s the guy that owns the team, or the owners of this team.”

The problem has been that too many of Washington’s “possibilities” have ended in disappointment. When Ron Rivera took over as coach with control over personnel in 2020, his attempts to fix the flawed roster he inherited have resulted in modest successes getting undermined by glaring misses in the draft, free agency and trade market. With Rivera coaching in the fourth year of a five-year contract, the Commanders continue to pay for those problems, literally and figuratively.

The offensive line has undergone multiple iterations, the defensive line failed to meet expectations, the linebacking corps is still problematic and the secondary is often a liability.

It’s enough to obscure what has worked out. The team selected safety Kamren Curl in the seventh round in 2020, and he’s now a staple of the defense. So are cornerback Benjamin St-Juste and safety Darrick Forrest, third- and fifth-round picks, respectively, in 2021, who impressed in relief roles and prompted the Commanders to find ways to get them more snaps.

And last year, one of the more savvy decisions of the Commanders was trading back in the first round of the draft to select receiver Jahan Dotson and use the extra picks to grab running back Brian Robinson Jr. (third round), quarterback Sam Howell (fifth) and tight end Cole Turner (fifth).

“Four young guys that we think can be part of what we're doing going forward,” Rivera said in January. “Those are the kinds of things that we want to be able to get better at and continue to find that kind of talent. Because one of the things that when Martin [Mayhew] and Marty [Hurney] came in, we talked about was roster-building as much as we can through the draft and putting those pieces into place.”

But the problem is that when Washington manages to find pieces that fit, too many holes remain.

The early rebuild

Go back to 2020, when Washington ended a tenuous situation with left tackle Trent Williams by trading him to the 49ers during the draft. That netted the team a 2020 fifth-round pick and a 2021 third-round pick, which was used on center Keith Ismael and St-Juste, respectively. Ismael was released from injured reserve with a settlement before his third season. St-Juste later became the eventual replacement for one of the team’s biggest misses.

But first, issues up front continued to pile up.

Washington paid guard Brandon Scherff roughly $33 million on consecutive franchise tags for 24 total games from 2020-21. The team would’ve had trouble paying him a long-term deal after that, so he left for Jacksonville as a free agent in 2022 — a second Pro Bowl lineman, gone.

All the while, Washington tried to add speed and talent to its defense, only to create more issues.

In March 2021, Washington signed cornerback William Jackson III to a three-year contract worth $40.5 million. Jackson played well in Cincinnati’s man-heavy scheme, but he was a poor fit in Washington’s system. So Washington traded him to Pittsburgh for a future conditional seventh-round pick swap before the deadline last year.

The team is still feeling the ripple effects.

Jackson’s contract is the largest Washington has given a free agent over the past four years, and the team ultimately paid him around $24 million. Of that, $9 million is on this year’s books as “dead money,” or money that was already paid and counts against the salary cap. For context, Jackson’s cap hit this year is larger than that of defensive tackle Daron Payne ($8.61 million), who signed a four-year, $90 million contract in March.

Jackson is not currently on anyone’s active roster.

To address Washington’s woes at linebacker — a position that has struggled despite having a coaching staff with three former NFL linebackers in Rivera, Del Rio and linebackers coach Steve Russ — the team selected Jamin Davis in the first round of the 2021 draft.

A one-year starter at Kentucky, Davis was said by Rivera to be “what you look for in a football player,” with his athleticism and positional flexibility. But Davis struggled in his first two seasons, even prompting Del Rio to call him out publicly for his poor performance. Now, in Year 3, he’s starting to come into his own.

“… I mean, the young man’s really come a long way,” Rivera said last month. “He’s done some really good things for us, and we’re pretty excited about who he’s become.”

The Commanders hoped to get more out of their 2021 draft class, however.

The team selected defensive ends William Bradley-King and Shaka Toney in the seventh round, looking to develop them into key depth players up front. But neither developed into much of anything. Bradley-King is no longer on the roster, and Toney is suspended indefinitely for betting on NFL games.

Washington also drafted receiver Dax Milne in the seventh round that year, with hopes he’d become a viable returner. He was reliable, no doubt. But the team opted to turn to Milne and move on from DeAndre Carter, one of their best returners in years, instead of paying Carter a minimal one-year contract, which the Los Angeles Chargers did in free agency.

Milne is on injured reserve now, and his replacement is Jamison Crowder, a 30-year-old and former Washington draft pick who has so far been one of the team’s most promising acquisitions this season. His 61-yard punt return against the Atlanta Falcons was the franchise’s longest return since … his 89-yard return in 2016.

Recent misses

The compounding of problems has been especially noticeable up front.

To replace Scherff and Ereck Flowers at guard last year, the team signed older veterans Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell, who previously played for Rivera in Carolina. The result? Turner was benched in Week 4 last season, and Norwell had well-documented struggles.

The two lasted only the season together before Washington looked to shuffle the O-line again.

It’s also been an issue at quarterback, where Rivera inherited a roster with the late Haskins and benched him twice amid a cycle of eight different starters.

The most glaring whiff there: Carson Wentz, whom Washington traded multiple picks to acquire from Indianapolis and paid his full salary for 2022. Wentz suffered a finger injury in Week 6 and was replaced by Taylor Heinicke for a stretch — until Rivera decided to bench Heinicke and give Wentz one more chance. The Commanders lost spectacularly to the Browns, ending all hope of a playoff run.

The hope now is that Howell can finally turn into the guy the team has been searching for at quarterback. But it doesn’t erase the fact that, over the past four years, Washington has struck out with a first-round rookie, veterans acquired by trade (Kyle Allen and Wentz) and an undrafted free agent (Heinicke) at quarterback.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/04/commanders-draft-free-agent-busts/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3