Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

So Peters was on G&D this afternoon and addressed the $90M in cap space and made it clear they won’t be spending it all this off season.  Made it clear to anyone who was thinking about taking shortcuts to the top, they won’t be doing that this offseason.  They know better than to use the term “rebuild” as it’s ticket sale suicide, but make no bones about it…this is going to be a rebuild.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So Peters was on G&D this afternoon and addressed the $90M in cap space and made it clear they won’t be spending it all this off season.  Made it clear to anyone who was thinking about taking shortcuts to the top, they won’t be doing that this offseason.  They know better than to use the term “rebuild” as it’s ticket sale suicide, but make no bones about it…this is going to be a rebuild.

Coupling that with what Keim-Sheehan have said what they might be thinking.  I don't think they think this is a long rebuild.  But their big season won't be season 1.  Maybe season 2.

Clearly the wildcard is did they get QB right?  And they won't know until the season plays out.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Catching up with the Peters interview now.  I heard the post comments from Grant whining that Peters comes off like he won't be aggressive in FA.

But listening to it now, Peters came off balanced.  He said he'd bargain shop and also look at top of the market players, too.  He implied they can't spend all the way to the top of their cap room not just because they don't want to but also need to save some money for other things -- implying the draft.

He said they are looking to produce a competitive team this year multiple times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

People who listen to The Screaming Idiot and his ward, Tyrell Willingham, and parrot those jackasses is painful. Then you have Grant and Dumbass, who are the worst kind of idiots--ones who don't know they're idiots. They love to throw around words like metrics and analytics and think they're smart.

His name is Lynelle but yeah I agree, he is the worst. The absolute WORST. He makes me wanna slash my ears off everytime he speaks. He literally gives the absolute worst "analysis" I've ever heard. Even Doc Walker publicly calls him out for being a numbskull(in nicer words).

How is this guy getting air time over guys like Galdi?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Catching up with the Peters interview now.  I heard the post comments from Grant whining that Peters comes off like he won't be aggressive in FA.

But listening to it now, Peters came off balanced.  He said he'd bargain shop and also look at top of the market players, too.  He implied they can't spend all the way to the top of their cap room not just because they don't want to but also need to save some money for other things -- implying the draft.

He said they are looking to produce a competitive team this year multiple times

Just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it. Its nice to maintain flexibility. And spending year 1 of a rebuild is silly because it caps your ceiling.

Lets see what we have in our QB. If Maye/Daniels has a Stroud like rookie year, all of a sudden the championship window is open right away, and we can spend on weapons to get us over the top next year. 

You also wanna keep money to give guys like Cosmi an extension. Possibly Davis. If Dotson has a breakout year, well he's eligible for extension as well. And so on.

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Myers supposedly the expert in guaging leadership -- wonder if he's there to listen in on the QB interviews

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lets see what we have in our QB. If Maye/Daniels has a Stroud like rookie year, all of a sudden the championship window is open right away, and we can spend on weapons to get us over the top next year. 

You also wanna keep money to give guys like Cosmi an extension. Possibly Davis. If Dotson has a breakout year, well he's eligible for extension as well. And so on.

Agree.  But listening to Grants post take of the interview first, I thought Peters must have really played down this coming season and spending.

But to my ears, Peters came off playing it medium.    He didn't say they'd go nuts but also didn't say they'd just low key it either.

He flat out said top FA's are going to be considered.  He said multiple times they want to put out a good-competitive roster this year,

i gather Grant wanted Peters to say, they are going to go nuts in FA.  But I thought for those of us who want to see some aggressiveness in FA, Peters gave enough material to make me think its in play.

• Like 1

I like that fact the Peters is not going to over spend on aging veterans or players who don't fit our system. We've had enough of that over the years.I don't know that we ever had a game plan for sustained success. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

At least they aren't golden showers. 

Considering the new stadium won't happen until 2028-2030; the obviously need to refurbish JunkEx and make improvement in the meantime.

Heck, maybe they'll even put in baby changing stations for the players' WAGs, something that Tanya Snyder refused to do, saying it was too expensive and "we're getting a new stadium anyway." This is the same woman who was sued for underpaying her nanny.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

You can spend the majority of the cap space and not have it hinder you long term by filling the roster with shorter-term deals with only 1-2 years of guaranteed money. In our position you’re worried about cap health over the next 5 years, which refers to long term guaranteed money that puts a hold on your future cap—you don’t want to tie all that up until you’re competing for a Super Bowl. But you can still use the majority of your current cap space intelligently. I don’t think Peters is talking about rolling over $30-40M and literally not spending it this year. He’s talking about being smart with big guarantees. You can spend it and have it all back in two years if you’re smart.

Helps you be competitive now while you build a young core, and you get all that space back in a couple years when those players’ contracts are gone again. We just won’t be signing 5-6 studs to monster deals that take up all our future cap space with huge guarantees.

Imo we will still be filling out the roster with a big signing or two, a bunch of competent mid-tier vets whose contracts will be off the books in two years, and a bunch of fliers. And most of the money on this year’s cap will likely be spent. They want to compete, and they want to give their franchise QB the best chance to develop. So they won’t just sit on a ton of unused 2024 space with the intent of rolling it over. It’s future years’ cap, affected by guarantees, that we won’t be damaging. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

The scheme to have Caleb pull an Eli is underway 

Yep, let’s get into that. 

5 hours ago, Conn said:

You can spend the majority of the cap space and not have it hinder you long term by filling the roster with shorter-term deals with only 1-2 years of guaranteed money. In our position you’re worried about cap health over the next 5 years, which refers to long term guaranteed money that puts a hold on your future cap—you don’t want to tie all that up until you’re competing for a Super Bowl. But you can still use the majority of your current cap space intelligently. I don’t think Peters is talking about rolling over $30-40M and literally not spending it this year. He’s talking about being smart with big guarantees. You can spend it and have it all back in two years if you’re smart.

Helps you be competitive now while you build a young core, and you get all that space back in a couple years when those players’ contracts are gone again. We just won’t be signing 5-6 studs to monster deals that take up all our future cap space with huge guarantees.

Imo we will still be filling out the roster with a big signing or two, a bunch of competent mid-tier vets whose contracts will be off the books in two years, and a bunch of fliers. And most of the money on this year’s cap will likely be spent. They want to compete, and they want to give their franchise QB the best chance to develop. So they won’t just sit on a ton of unused 2024 space with the intent of rolling it over. It’s future years’ cap, affected by guarantees, that we won’t be damaging. 

Great post, agree. The 90mil comment has greater context. 

8 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Quinn is a very impressive speaker. I’m 100% won over by this hire.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I like that fact the Peters is not going to over spend on aging veterans or players who don't fit our system. We've had enough of that over the years.I don't know that we ever had a game plan for sustained success. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.

Who was the last aging vet we spent big money on?

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Just call it the Command Center.

Too bad were not the Redwolves. Wolves Den would be an awesome stadium name.

I don't speak on this much but at my age and following this team over 50 years, I will always refer to them as Redskins.  Now, moving forward bring the feather back and call them the "Washington Football Team".  I liked it when they changed to it.  It's unique and no other team had a name close to it and any other team, if they tried to use it would be 2nd, 3rd etc. if they name their team as such (i.e., Atlanta Football Team").  I don't think it happens.  It's about as close as we can get to getting them back to the Washington Redskins, I think and then move them back to a new RFK Stadium by tearing it down and building a new RFK Stadium.  My take.  Peace!  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Worse problem is spending big money on bad players like William Jackson, or used band-aids like David Mayo.

My point in asking the question is you could argue the last time we did that in earnest was 2000, with Bruce Smith, Deion, Carrier, etc. Maybe 2006, but those were less aging players on big contracts than bad players on big contracts like Adam Atchuletta.  Even the Haynesworth signing wasn’t an aging vet, he was in the prime of his career. He just was a malcontent jack hole. 

This narrative has been going on for 24 years and hasn’t actually happened in at least 20 years.  Why? Because our idiot media has talked it into existence.  Because they hated Dan, (which is fair) they kept pushing this narrative and made the fans stupid.  

We also have basically been shopping at the bargain bin in FA since 2010.  A few exceptions here and there.  But not a lot, very few for high dollars.  

I hate our media so much. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My point in asking the question is you could argue the last time we did that in earnest was 2000, with Bruce Smith, Deion, Carrier, etc. Maybe 2006, but those were less aging players on big contracts than bad players on big contracts like Adam Atchuletta.  Even the Haynesworth signing wasn’t an aging vet, he was in the prime of his career. He just was a malcontent jack hole. 

This narrative has been going on for 24 years and hasn’t actually happened in at least 20 years.  Why? Because our idiot media has talked it into existence.  Because they hated Dan, (which is fair) they kept pushing this narrative and made the fans stupid.  

We also have basically been shopping at the bargain bin in FA since 2010.  A few exceptions here and there.  But not a lot, very few for high dollars.  

I hate our media so much. 

Yeah I was agreeing with you and pointing out the real problem. How much money did Bruce Allen waste on Terrell McClain and Landon Collins? Meanwhile, they alienated Kirk Cousins and Trent Williams.

And yes, our media sucks. Just a bunch of arrogant idiots--and Chris Russell is the worst.

45 minutes ago, method man said:

Good riddance. Fred Smith was part of the remaining stench here from the Snyder era. Will never forgive him for what he did in 2020

What did he do?

I'm sure I should know this but I don't remember. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep, let’s get into that. 

Great post, agree. The 90mil comment has greater context. 

DQ is the best speaker in the organization, including Harris, Magic, and Adam Peters, with the possible exception of co-owner Railes who seems to prefer more of a background role.

Josh Harris's efforts not withstanding Quinn is going to be the clear voice and face of the new Commanders.

He speaks with purpose, enthusiasm and relevance. He's charismatic and what I'd call a "fox hole" type leader. 

He's the kind of man that even hard slightly jaded men will follow into danger, because he's earned their trust.

We are well served with his steady hand at the helm.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3