Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what was said after the Rivera hire.

He was a straight-up, tell you where you stand, military background…. leadership style. He was a culture setter… which is why Dan had to cede full control and created a coach-centric model… because that was the only way to attract the quality of coach Rivera was sold to be.

He hired JDR… who was a highly regarded former DC… who said he was going to come in here and simplify schemes so the players could use their physical strengths and play fast.

And everybody was happy.

Until the games started.

You're not wrong in the comparisons--but they are different people. I am not wild about the hire, but calling him Rivera 2.0 is just invalid. But the circumstances are wildly different as well. Mainly the organization structure is set up so Quinn isn't in charge of everything. Rivera dealt with Covid, cancer, the team name, the investigations, the team being sold, Snyder being checked out and on a shoe-string budget.

Rivera made a ton of mistakes, don't get me wrong, and he was checked out by the end. He was too worried about public perception more than anything else. His staff was highly questionable. He made really poor personnel decisions. Quinn will be able to focus only on the football aspect. I think that would make even Rivera better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, my_friend_goo said:

Wait, there's a Klein Kubiak as well as a Klint and a Klay? How much deeper does this go? Kris? Kade? Karl? Konrad? Konway? Kampbell? Kleopatra? Kharles?

Do I even dare ask about their middle names?

The next child should be named 'Kool' Kool Kubiak.  

9 minutes ago, sinews said:

I think I saw where Parsons called him "Q" so that's what I'm rolling with. Some James Bond type ish. Definitely not Dan *shudders*

Waiting for the Dan Quinn Thanos/Q Snap meme to Dallas

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Instead, I think this team needs an innovative/progressive young guy… who is a wiz and can coach players up.I want to win through preparation/strategy.

We very well may still get this person on the offensive side, at least I hope. 

29 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what was said after the Rivera hire.

He was a straight-up, tell you where you stand, military background…. leadership style. He was a culture setter… which is why Dan had to cede full control and created a coach-centric model… because that was the only way to attract the quality of coach Rivera was sold to be.

He hired JDR… who was a highly regarded former DC… who said he was going to come in here and simplify schemes so the players could use their physical strengths and play fast.

And everybody was happy.

Until the games started.

I think there are legitimate parallels between Rivera/Quinn.  I think there are substantial differences too, perhaps the biggest being the outside factor of having a true GM.  For example, one of Rivera’s (many) main issues was how he dealt with the qb spot…  I don’t see Peters allowing us to trade for Garappolo, Wilson, etc over bringing in a quality, young prospect.  I could be wrong of course.  

Along with personnel power, Ron also had to deal with Snyder, struggled with putting his foot in his mouth, got wrapped up in caring about perceptions, and relied on (mostly) bringing in guys he was close with.  I also wonder if the focus on “yes sir, no sir” type of prospects tended to weed out the fiery, passionate, vocal, leader type of players.

One argument I don’t get… those upset because of the Rivera/Quinn parallels of - leaders of men, culture builders, well respected… are y’all saying you’d prefer a guy that’s not respected?  That isn’t a culture builder?  That’s not seen as a high end leader?  There are other arguments I get, but that one’s a head scratcher to me.  With that said, I do get not wanting a retread or a defensive minded HC, even if I don’t believe those should be seen as deal breakers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Florio also reporting along with Dianna Russini that Belichik was considered for the Commanders Head Coaching job.

They spoke with him and some decision makers supported hiring him.  

Florio had been reporting that the Commanders Head Coach search was a ruse and our real target was Bill Belichick so of course he's latching on to Dianna Russini. I love how sports "reporters" don't need an iota of proof. They just say whatever they want without a shred of evidence and that is what people and other "reporters" latch on to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Florio also reporting along with Dianna Russini that Belichik was considered for the Commanders Head Coaching job.

So Let me parse this for a second, here's how I imagine the panel worked.

AP: So let's talk about Bill.
VFOG: He's a good coach I'd suppot that
OGOC: You can't argue with that record, I'd suppot that too.
AP: So we can put the Bill in the COnsider Pile.

15 minutes later after talk about Morris, 
AP: So Let's talk about Dallas's DC, QUinn
VFOG: I don't like dallas, but you can't argue with how much they turn teams over, I'd support that hire
OGOC: Have you seen how Dallas was ranked defensively sine he took over? Yeah I'd support that.
MM: Do we care about his HC Loss in the Super Bowl or to Green bay?
AP: They are part of the picture, sure, but you don't get to lose or win in the Playoffs if you don't get there in the first place.

I imagine they helped cull a list down to a handful of names they'd suppot so no matter WHO they hired they could say that.  THere could have been other options they considered, and might have been happy with, but in the end, After BJ pulls out of the running, and MD signed with Seattle, AP says I still feel Good about DQ, and I love me a blizzard, let's door dash some of that, and get Quinn's agent on the line.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, sinews said:

I think I saw where Parsons called him "Q" so that's what I'm rolling with. Some James Bond type ish. Definitely not Dan *shudders*

Now you've done it, started a "should we go with an old Q or young Q" argument.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You're not wrong in the comparisons--but they are different people. I am not wild about the hire, but calling him Rivera 2.0 is just invalid. But the circumstances are wildly different as well. Mainly the organization structure is set up so Quinn isn't in charge of everything. Rivera dealt with Covid, cancer, the team name, the investigations, the team being sold, Snyder being checked out and on a shoe-string budget.

Rivera made a ton of mistakes, don't get me wrong, and he was checked out by the end. He was too worried about public perception more than anything else. His staff was highly questionable. He made really poor personnel decisions. Quinn will be able to focus only on the football aspect. I think that would make even Rivera better.

Rivera was regressing in his career by the time we hired him. At first everyone was joyful..."we got a coach who went to the Superb Owl." Yes, in 2015...and then he had three losing seasons in the next 4 years, including two 5-11 seasons. Quinn has had the Cowboys' defense in the top tier for the last 3 years, so clearly he's on an upswing.

You have to blame Snyder for this mess. It was his fault this organization got its well-deserved bad reputation, and it got to the point where he could not attract a decent head coach without also giving him full control of the roster...which may have been OK if he hired someone who could do both well, but it turned out Rivera SUCKED at talent evaluation!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Commander Adama said:

They just say whatever they want without a shred of evidence and that is what people and other "reporters" latch on to. 

It sucks how the national media has such a loud voice yet is so uninformed compared to a few of the local or beat guys (other than Schefter, etc). Some of the former undoubtedly made their name bashing the team under Snyder (not unwarranted in certain cases, or most even) but old habits die hard and all that. Some quick to paint the coaching search in a negative light but the facts on the ground suggest it was hardly a botched call, just had to adjust to a changing situation in due time. Q was a done deal as soon as we saw AP show up at the Senoir Bowl. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

So they spoke on the phone? But no interview? Ok, wow. Serious interest I'll tell ya. 

6 minutes ago, Veretax said:

So Let me parse this for a second, here's how I imagine the panel worked.

AP: So let's talk about Bill.
VFOG: He's a good coach I'd suppot that
OGOC: You can't argue with that record, I'd suppot that too.
AP: So we can put the Bill in the COnsider Pile.

15 minutes later after talk about Morris, 
AP: So Let's talk about Dallas's DC, QUinn
VFOG: I don't like dallas, but you can't argue with how much they turn teams over, I'd support that hire
OGOC: Have you seen how Dallas was ranked defensively sine he took over? Yeah I'd support that.
MM: Do we care about his HC Loss in the Super Bowl or to Green bay?
AP: They are part of the picture, sure, but you don't get to lose or win in the Playoffs if you don't get there in the first place.

I imagine they helped cull a list down to a handful of names they'd suppot so no matter WHO they hired they could say that.  THere could have been other options they considered, and might have been happy with, but in the end, After BJ pulls out of the running, and MD signed with Seattle, AP says I still feel Good about DQ, and I love me a blizzard, let's door dash some of that, and get Quinn's agent on the line.

I'm sure Quinn was not their first choice...but then, how many teams actually hire their first choice? That's why they make wish lists, in case they don't get their main guy. It'w why I put 47 items on my Xmas Wish List when I was seven years old, knowing I wasn't going to get all 47 items. 🤭

The Steelers were going to hire Russ Grimm as their coach in 2007 and backed out and got Tomlin instead, which clearly turned out okay...and where has Grimm been since?

It sounds like HOG and Peters did it the right way by interviewing as many people as possible.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I called out Ron Rivera as a coach in year 2, game 4 (the game against the Bills). I was the first to jump off his bandwagon… and everything be thought I was nuts coming to off the playoff game the season before.

Is that the game he gave up trying to win a clearly winnable game earlier than anyone had maybe ever seen? Damn good memory if so and happy to hear I am not alone.

I don't recall the exact details but it happened more than once under his tenure. It was something I had never seen before.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Anyone think Belichik lands at an NFL team in a FO advisory position….

I've been wondering if finding a Quality D Mind in Dallas is so hard, and if Bill is willing, he could end up there with an option to elevate him to HC with Compensation that makes sense if McCarthy is let go.

2 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Wait, there's a Klein Kubiak as well as a Klint and a Klay? How much deeper does this go? Kris? Kade? Karl? Konrad? Konway? Kampbell? Kleopatra? Kharles?

Do I even dare ask about their middle names?

My wife chose the names for our kids - and dogs. I just nodded and smiled.

We have Della, Daylan, Davin and then Dasher, Dixie and Diamond.

I just point and say ‘You!’

• Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

20240202_102934.jpg

Crap I forgot about Atlanta and Tennessee.  Of course Atlanta has a QB problem.

There could be an argument they are the next best openings after us.

The pats would have been, but because they went internal no idea.

And WHat has Mayo done to deserve a C+? a C Maybe.

When we sweep Dallas next year, people will be like, Jerry should have fired McCarthy and Elevated Quinn.

Edited by Veretax
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Anyone think Belichik lands at an NFL team in a FO advisory position….

What current GM (or HC) in their right mind would want that?

Some owner might want him as an advisor - but that would just create an inevitable clash with current decision makers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Watch our for Donner and Dancer!  

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What current GM (or HC) in their right mind would want that?

Some owner might want him as an advisor - but that would just create an inevitable clash with current decision makers.

Can’t say I disagree. Be curious to see if an owner doesn’t see it that way though.

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

How do the kids feel about being called Dasher, Dixie and Diamond ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2