Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Probos said:

WE are doing nothing.  The new GM along with the new ownership is in-change are, and they are not doing the "same thing".  They had a very good plan and a part of it didn't work.  They wanted the young sexy -- he wants to stay in Detroit -- they lost some time because of that so they went with probably their third option.  Getting a never-been-a-head-coach-guy doesn't always work out, and I'd venture to say it doesn't more times than it does. 

Yes, hopefully Dan will hire good coordinators.  He's a well liked and respected coach in the league so I feel good about that happening.

Hence the reason I will call him Dan "Leftovers" Quinn.   I do agree with you on the coordinators.....if we strike gold on that, I'll feel a lot better.  

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Schefter:

-Commanders did not want a first time GM and HC. Wanted experience at the position.

That’s quite the claim given our search. Do you think we assumed Quinn to SEA was happening.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Schefter:

-Commanders did not want a first time GM and HC. Wanted experience at the HC position.

I know I am in the minority. But I am very happy with the Quinn hire. I am completely sick and tired of watching this defense, a defense with first rounders all over it, gut gutted every week by rookie QB's. This defense has put more young QB's and players on the map than any other the past decade. That is going end with Quinn. 

That quote by Schefter is so odd. If that’s true, why interview Macdonald, Slowick, and Johnson? I get using the process for gathering intel, but that is a stretch.

• Like 3

Listening to Schefter on Sheehan's show today was kind of eye opening in regards to Ben Johnson. He gave the analogy of the kid who likes the "idea" of going away to college, only to then have a change of heart and decide to go to school near home where his mom and dad were. Yeesh

Tennessee Titans looking pretty smart, if going with a young OC was the goal. 

• Like 3

Watching Chip Kelly's UCLA offense trying to picture the LSU QB running it. ;) A lot faster runner then Garber. LOL. It might work out folks. I might find myself getting a little excited over the DQ decision if Kelly and LSU's Daniels. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s quite the claim given our search. Do you think we assumed Quinn to SEA was happening.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

That quote by Schefter is so odd. If that’s true, why interview Macdonald, Slowick, and Johnson? I get using the process for gathering intel, but that is a stretch.

Schefter thinks Quinn was the number one target all along. Quinn was the hold up. And they of course did due diligence just in case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Remember when we hired another Cowboy head coach?  Norv stinkin Turner.  Remember when we hired lil Nov Turner Jr.?  How did those hires work

out for our team.   Hope Quinn is better that both Turners.

People who make superficial connections between things that have nothing to do with each other fascinate me. I try to imagine what it would be like to have my brain work like that, to get in that headspace. And then I shake out of it just in time to stop myself from accidentally drinking the Windex 

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, mh86 said:

I agree, you can’t really hold kubiaks previous stints against him. He didn’t have a full offseason to prepare as the play caller. I look at it as a good thing. He got some practice at calling plays and now hes had time to learn under Kyle in San Fran. I’d definitely prefer him over outten 

I could see Outten on the staff as passing game coordinator. 

42 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

I thought with a new general manager and owner, things are looking up but I guess it is the same old crap, I am very disappointed with the hire, I wish Redskins would have hired Weaver

I mean that’s crazy bro you didn’t even allow Quinn to have one pre season game to show something. Ask the falcons how they been without Quinn and before . Reality is he’s better than Ron and hires better staff members .

As far as the process goes or went (and to sum up what others have said):

We couldn't hire Q until the Rooney Rule was satisfied, which didn't happen until Monday. So he very well could have been no. 2 option all this time (or 1st even). The Johnson snub happened on Tuesday and Harris/Peters announced the hiring of Q on Thursday (they probably could have announced yesterday, in fact, but Seattle beat them to the punch). That type of quick turnaround doesn't suggest panic or that they didn't have a backup plan to me. Sounds like they had a minor setback but knew exactly which course they'd take afterwards. I'm not buying the bad optics stuff but unfortunately that's what many of us rely on to make sense of things.

I certainly don't think that Harris and Peters got fleeced by others (who?) because they're a bunch of rubes who don't know what they're doing. They couldn't have known about BJ, but they didn't waste much time at all in getting Q. Yes, I get it, an uninspired HC choice but just because that's how we feel as fans doesn't mean that Harris/Peters made a desperate or uninformed hire. Starting to look like this was part of the plan all along, despite how we feel about it. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep I could see a slight re-up if he sticks around. 

Quinn is not going to let Allen get traded. We are drafting a rookie QB and have 75 mil in cap. I could see us bringing in Gilmore at CB as well despite his age. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I could see us bringing in Gilmore at CB as well despite his age. 

That would be interesting conversation with the analytics dept. He did have another outstanding season

Edited by DWinzit

1 minute ago, DCF said:

You know what? You're right. I'm pissed, I hate the move. Trying to be optimistic, but think it sucks and don't think any team has really been super interested in Quinn as a head coach. You proved me wrong by showing he turned down a couple interviews, and wanted to stay in Dallas last year. I still don't think he was ever the apple of anyone's eye. I still think no team wanted to truly hire him this year besides us, and only after our other guys turned us down. Never the less, apologies for moving the goalposts, you're right he did have interest.

Personally this is the last move I wanted. But being overly reactionary is just ruining your day (and it would mine, too, were I to let it). Right now there is no benefit to getting to high or low on it. I hope it works out. I don't expect it to. I DO expect that it will help us move forward as an organization though. 

The reality is that they probably swung and missed on people who were colloquially referred to as the two best candidates available. They tried. The other guys did not want to come here. That's really it. Not much else we can do about that but move on and evaluate the results.

What you hope is that our brand new GM who just got (probably) burned learned from this. And that our brand new ownership group learned from this. And that Dan Quinn, who has been around the NFL and seen how some of the best do it, can help these new people be prepared for when they have to do it again for whatever reason. Dan Quinn may be able to tell you why the other guys said no. Maybe its the roster (we cant help that) maybe its the facilities (we cant help that) but maybe there IS something Dan can help coach us on -- as a veteran -- that can help us do it better next time. 

And there is plenty reason to believe that he was the guy from the start. He was one of the first names and SEA spoke with him as well. They really ran the same playbook we did. It just worked for them. I mean, you don't have to delude yourself. That doesn't help either. But reacting emotionally to something like this does not serve you. Watch. Evaluate. Form an opinion and then discuss with your homies here. That is MUCH more fun than letting this **** that you have zero control over **** up your day. 

Just my opinion. Some of yall don't have to be that extreme lol 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Quinn is not going to let Allen get traded. We are drafting a rookie QB and have 75 mil in cap. I could see us bringing in Gilmore at CB as well despite his age. 

I don’t know. Gallimore and Hankins are FAs. He may feel he can run his D with one of those plus Payne and take advantage of the draft compensation.

1 minute ago, gooseneck said:

So are we waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire Kyle Shannon as our offensive coordinator?

Your expecting another Falcons SB dumb decision before they run him out of town? 🤣

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Schefter says whatever teams want him to say in order to get scoops. The Bruce Allen emails showed he even let Bruce edit the message word for word on what to put out as talking points. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oraphus said:

it was probably more of a knee jerk reaction on my end to the hiring.. but it just sounds SO MUCH like the the rhetoric around the Ron hire 4y ago. 

'great guy and leader of men"

'well respected by players, agents and coaches' 

'great D mind'   

'great culture guy'

etc.

i dont care about any of that! That's the sh!t they print to sell stories to ignorant fans.

1. If he is truly a hands-on, innovative DC... i expect him to run the D or at least be heavily involved. he should be able to find the right mix of personnel and scheme to help our D perform on an at least avg level and get the most out of the garbage draft players Rivera left us with

2. its now imperative they find a hot shot innovative OC to pair with Quinn, not some old retread hired through nepotism.

3. Have peters work the draft and FA to find some gems

The next few days will be very interesting. 

Ron made a lateral move HC to HC.  Quinn went back to running a defense and reestablished himself.  I recall reading over the years here and there that Quinn was the most respected coach in Dallas, I recall in either a podcast or an article a segment about would Jerry fire the current HC in order to not to lose Quinn by making him HC now.

Feels some like a rich man's Gregg Williams.  Williams went to Buffalo and didn't do well.  Quinn did much better than Gregg did as a HC but left that stint damaged some.  Gregg then was a D coordinator here, took over a bad defense and it was mostly good under his watch.  Again not as good as Quinn's stint at Dallas but not a mile off.  And then some of us wanted to give Gregg another chance. 

Ron didn't reestablish himself elsewhere.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t know. Gallimore and Hankins are FAs. He may feel he can run his D with one of those plus Payne and take advantage of the draft compensation.

Jon Allen is an elite player. Quinn knows defense. I don’t see him letting him go. 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Schefter says whatever teams want him to say in order to get scoops. The Bruce Allen emails showed he even let Bruce edit the message word for word on what to put out as talking points. 

Cost of being the best. Gotta pay the piper.

One of the few times I will disagree w/ Shefty. If you don't want a first time head coach to pair w/ a first time GM, you don't schedule a bunch of 2nd interviews with first time HCs after hiring your GM.

The may have valued Quinn's coaching experience, but that clearly was not some end all be all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

So are we waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire Kyle Shannon as our offensive coordinator?

The only thing I can remember about the Atlanta Super Bowl loss was how Brady started to look unstoppable. But who's fault among the Atlanta coaches was it? Kyle or Quinn's? I remember thinking all they needed to do was just get a field goal and it's over. Seems like it would be more on Kyle then since holding Brady to 3 points for most of the game is huge and eventually he'll get on fire.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

bzg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&PC=EMMX01

Keim bonked us over the head with Quinn for weeks, people just didn’t want to believe it. Pretty easy to believe that they wanted to be wowed by Johnson but that they were totally comfortable with Quinn from day 1 if that didn’t happen. Which would make Johnson the underdog with a high ceiling who had to show something to bump Quinn from the #1 choice going into the search. 

I really don’t find that hard to believe. And I’ve been anything but a homer the past half decade. 

4 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Acting like we all weren’t saying Ron was connected and respected this time 4 years ago, it’s so amusing to watch folk try and trick themselves into the same trick they fell for literally 4 seasons ago 😆

We were? Rivera duplicated his failure of a Carolina staff almost exactly right when he came here. Fans talked themselves into it, but lots of people were critical of that. Nobody was talking about how he was connected across the league and could build a diverse, qualified staff. People were talking about cronyism and nepotism and then some talked themselves out of it for a couple years. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1