Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't mind if Quinn is who they chose, but I wouldn't be thrilled if he was given a 4 or 5 year deal. He'd need to prove himself

That shouldn’t really matter much to us.  It’s not our money.  If he needs to be fired with a year or 2 left, ownership will eat the loss.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't mind if Quinn is who they chose, but I wouldn't be thrilled if he was given a 4 or 5 year deal. He'd need to prove himself

Agree. If it’s Quinn, 3 year deal, option to extend that has to be agreed by both parties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Quinn won’t take the job if he doesn’t get at least a 4 year deal.

Any coach now: retread or newbie probably gets a 4-5 year deal and we our seeing some of the newbies getting 6.

That’s just the case of doing business now.

This would be his only opportunity to be a HC at least for this year. If he wanted to be a HC, he'd take a 3 year deal

I said it yesterday and will say it again today,  like most everyone here Quinn is not my #1 but if that's the direction we go then so be it. At this point I'm more concerned and interested in who's going to fill the offensive positions.  While Quinn may not be the homerun we want, we can still knock it out the park with our OC, and there's still some good offensive guys available to fill that spot. 

On a side note,  if we don't announce anything today then it's probably safe to say they've hit the reset button.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not 100% on Riley, but he's a swing for the fences. Plus, that make the lead in to the draft exciting because we'd probably look to move to 1... (not that I'd want to give that stuff up).

We’d basically have to agree that trade with the Bears in conjunction with the hire. 

48 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Just throwing this out there - is it possible there is someone on the Chiefs or especially the 49ers that has been their main target all along but they have kept it quiet? Adam coming from SF that seems very likely there is an under the radar candidate he really likes and wants. And they did thier due dilligance with the othre candidates but really want this under the radar person. 

Just feels like there is a lot we fans do not know, which is normal. Not worried either way. It will be taken care of soon. Then the real hand wringing by fans can start!  LOL 

image.png.0fda087f35103cad10b0c5aaa8e64a40.png

I joked about hiring Steve Spagnuolo from the Chiefs for HC and Leonard Hankerson from the 9ers as OC...but, at this point...who knows 😆 

• Haha 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

This would be his only opportunity to be a HC at least for this year. If he wanted to be a HC, he'd take a 3 year deal

He won’t do it then knowing there will be better opportunities than in 25.  Dallas being the #1 option. Only way Mike gets a new contract in 25, they make at least nfc championship.

A coach taking a head coaching position elsewhere is going to want a 4-5 year deal.

The only coaches who will accept a deal with 2-3 years is an interim coach getting the permanent gig( we’ve seen this in the past) or a desperate minority getting the gig. EB would jump at a 3 year deal.

Quinn, someone who has been coach before will not. He will just wait until the right opening and for Quinn there will be plenty next year.

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He won’t do it then knowing there will be better opportunities than in 25.  Dallas being the #1 option. Only way Mike gets a new contract in 25, they make at least nfc championship.

A coach taking a head coaching position elsewhere is going to want a 4-5 year deal.

The only coaches who will accept a deal with 2-3 years is an interim coach getting the permanent gig( we’ve seen this in the past) or a desperate minority getting the gig. EB would jump at a 3 year deal.

Quinn, someone who has been coach before will not. He will just wait until the right opening and for Quinn there will be plenty next year.

He feels he has earned his stripes. Nothing is guarantee. If he was offered it, I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity as they are few and far between. 

12 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I want to put this out there, just as a comparison.  To be clear, I'm not excited about the prospect of Dan Quinn, and I hear all of the "retread" talk, and how he couldn't get it done in Atlanta...

Look at Pete Carroll.  The guy was 33-31 in 4 years with the Jets & Patriots.  Nothing exciting.  He goes to Seattle after having success at USC, and goes to the playoffs 10 times in 14 seasons, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and winning one of them.  What if Seattle had passed on him, because he was just so-so in his previous HC stints in the NFL?

I'm not saying Quinn is our guy, or that he would have the same success that Carroll had (which we would have KILLED for over the last 14 years here)...but to dismiss him out of hand simply because he was "ok" his first time around would be lazy, IMO...

Heck, Belichick was 8 games under .500 in Cleveland over 5 seasons, yet the Patriots gave him a shot...how'd that turn out?

You found two exceptions to the main rule. I could point out numerous that went the other way. I'd also point out that Carroll went to USC and built a powerhouse collegiate program to build up his resume. And Belichick built up his resume so much that the Patriots traded draft picks for him. Quinn didn't do either of those things.

Look, I'm not per se against retreads. But the main question would be what would be different this time? Quinn had a franchise level QB, a star WR, a superstar offensive coordinator, and was...meh. He possibly won't have any of those things here, probably not all of them. And Washington expects better? Quinn is fine. The guaranteed walk. You get on base, but nothing more. I'd rather swing for the fences. Sure, you might strike out. But you might not.

Standig and Sheehan

A.  Standig heard like most others Ben Johnson wasn't the slam dunk candidate here but certainly a favorite

B.  (Like Keim) he's heard from the jump that they really like Quinn and he's a strong contender

C.  Standig is at the Senior Bowl, talking to other scouts-personnel guys and they all think Ben Johnson and his agent treated the situation unprofessionally and they don't think its a good look for either of them

D.  they sort of made fun of this fan base -- suggesting its the most battered in sports still going with PTS and not trusting their decision makers even after Dan is gone and acceding that the GM is the be all and yet they don't come off like they trust (him) decision makers.

For me as to point D.  While I agree they shouldn't care what fans think with these hires but they should factor that perhaps even just a little into the process. :ols:  As Standig said with all the smoke about them liking Quinn then hire him versus drag this out past the McDonald hire.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

“Desperate minority”? Not sure whether to Lol or WTF.

• Like 3

I’m the outlier here, but Anthony Weaver has really grown on me, and gives off incredible organizational and leader or men vibes. From the clips I’ve seen of him, he really grasps the cohesion needed from the top down to make a franchise successful, having learned it from the inside of the franchise that has had staying power like few others (Baltimore).

I like the idea of giving him his shot, and pairing him with an innovative young OC candidate along the lines of Klint Kubiak, and allowing this whole young group to grow together. Super high risk, but potentially extremely high reward. The exact opposite of the try retread Quinn, and see if he’s somehow evolved, approach. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Steve spagnuolo has a career. 212 winning percentage. 

If we hired him we'd be left to wonder just what skeletons Quinn has in his closet.

Steve is the Chiefs coach in waiting when Reid retires. If Reid does retire after the Superbowl, I see Steve getting the gig eventually.

2 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I’m the outlier here, but Anthony Weaver has really grown on me, and gives off incredible organizational and leader or men vibes. From the clips I’ve seen of him, he really grasps the cohesion needed from the top down to make a franchise successful, having learned it from the inside of the franchise that has had staying power like few others (Baltimore).

I like the idea of giving him his shot, and pairing him with an innovative young OC candidate along the lines of Klint Kubiak, and allowing this whole young group to grow together. Super high risk, but potentially extremely high reward. The exact opposite of the try retread Quinn, and see if he’s somehow evolved, approach. 

Im with all this

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You found two exceptions to the main rule. I could point out numerous that went the other way. I'd also point out that Carroll went to USC and built a powerhouse collegiate program to build up his resume. And Belichick built up his resume so much that the Patriots traded draft picks for him. Quinn didn't do either of those things.

Look, I'm not per se against retreads. But the main question would be what would be different this time? Quinn had a franchise level QB, a star WR, a superstar offensive coordinator, and was...meh. He possibly won't have any of those things here, probably not all of them. And Washington expects better? Quinn is fine. The guaranteed walk. You get on base, but nothing more. I'd rather swing for the fences. Sure, you might strike out. But you might not.

You're absolutely right, I did use two examples that worked out for the better (albeit, recent examples).  There are plenty that don't work.  I just don't want us - myself included - to dismiss Quinn simply because of his record in Atlanta.  Heck, he DID get them to the Super Bowl, win or lose...that too, I would have taken in a heartbeat.

8 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I joked about hiring Steve Spagnuolo from the Chiefs for HC and Leonard Hankerson from the 9ers as OC...but, at this point...who knows 😆 

Was listening to the junkies this morning and a caller had a great sounding theory that maybe Peters is eyeing Brian Griese as a potential candidate. Honestly who the hell knows what's going to happen at this point lol.......Personally I think Griese would be a better OC option after we find our guy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormy said:

I love Weavers charisma and leadership vibes. But I’m having a hard time getting over how bad the Texans were his one year as DC. I’m hoping there were some extenuating circumstances, injury bug, whatever to help explain that, then I’d be 100% on board. 

4 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Weaver might be on a promise from the Ravens now. But I really like his demeanour too.

I mean, he’d be great as DC option. Kubiak as OC, with a figurehead like Quinn as HC. 

Not likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Just throwing this out there - is it possible there is someone on the Chiefs or especially the 49ers that has been their main target all along but they have kept it quiet? Adam coming from SF that seems very likely there is an under the radar candidate he really likes and wants. And they did thier due dilligance with the othre candidates but really want this under the radar person. 

Just feels like there is a lot we fans do not know, which is normal. Not worried either way. It will be taken care of soon. Then the real hand wringing by fans can start!  LOL 

image.png.0fda087f35103cad10b0c5aaa8e64a40.png

Brian Griese?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

First of all I know baseball and football are completely different. When the Orioles hired Brandon Hyde he was not known as a good hire. He was known as patient and a developer of talent. We do not need the best coach in the world right now. We need to change the culture and develop all the young players Adam Peters adds to the organization. We need to change so many things of the previous toxic culture. 

Agreed and I’ll add that posters need to be reminded that the Commanders management is undergoing a complete rebuild.  Brand new ownership. GM Peters has only been in the building for 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!!  The ink on Peters contract is still wet!

Ownership said (warned) they would take time to assess options and not make hasty discussions. As such, any discussions regarding “vision alignment” must be considered in their infancy.  And so perhaps it’s not so surprising they are proceeding slowly and deliberately.

Hard for some to process in the age of instant gratification 

• Like 2

Like others have said, if we don’t name a coach today; then we have blown the search wide open again.

I doubt the other 3 will wait. Glenn will just go back to work. Weaver will get promoted and Quinn reups with Dallas. They aren’t waiting for us to look at more potential candidates.

If the search blows wide open, then we aren’t getting our guy until after the Superbowl.

• Like 1