Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked what I've read about Smith but alas he wasn't interviewed and I get the vibe that they aren't interviewing more people but will see.

Yeah, it really doesn't make much sense to me that they only interviewed 2 offensive-minded coaches... like, I get the whole "leadership is what matters mantra" but at least give some of these guys a chance to blow you away in an interview. 

It's a flawed process IMO if we come away from this having only ~20% of the candidates we interviewed be offensive minded given how important grooming the next QB is to this franchise.  You don't have to hire them, but at least give the Callahan's, Caneles' and Frank Smith's of the world a chance.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I am actually really warming up to Frank Smith.  I understand he wasn't calling the plays, but I'm sure he is responsible for at least some of the success Miami saw the last two years on offense.  And he's also been voted the #1 most loved offensive coordinator by the players.

Me too!

Maybe it was an oversight because deep down they wanted and thought they would get their choice of BJ or Macdonald.

If I were them and I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy about the guys left I'd say **** it and just start interviewing again. 

Focusing on people like Frank Smith that they missed the first round.

To hell with the bad press.

What matters is that they pick the best candidate for the most difficult job in all of sports-- turning around a perennial losing moribund team.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, it really doesn't make much sense to me that they only interviewed 2 offensive-minded coaches... like, I get the whole "leadership is what matters mantra" but at least give some of these guys a chance to blow you away in an interview. 

It's a flawed process IMO if we come away from this having only ~20% of the candidates we interviewed be offensive minded given how important grooming the next QB is to this franchise.  You don't have to hire them, but at least give the Callahan's, Caneles' and Frank Smith's of the world a chance.

Unless Peters has a SF contingent centered around the Kubiaks to develop the QB and that’s why this search has been more culture, leadership driven.

I too would have brought in Smith. I was also big on Waldron who took the Bears OC position.

• Like 1

Just now, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Just hate the message this sends the current candidates. 

Exactly. If they announce between now and Friday no harm, no foul. If they wait post SB, they could end up losing these three or at a minimum get off on the wrong foot.

An interesting thing to ponder is that the Commanders are the only team this hiring cycle with both new ownership and a first-time GM.

I can't discount the possibility that, in trying to be so thorough, they underestimated the need for urgency in such a compact hiring window.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Just hate the message this sends the current candidates and league.

Agreed, it's a crappy message. But nothing that a strong/winning season cannot fix.

8 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Is Frank Smith a known leader/motivator? That seems to be the main skill the FO is looking for in a HC.

That's the million dollar question. --shrug--

The player's definitely love him and speak highly of him, but being perceived as a player's coach can be a two edged sword.

You don't want to be a doormat or worse a chronic nipple pinch recipient  softy like Jay was.

Still, no harm in at least sitting down and talking too him.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Just hate the message this sends the current candidates and league.

And what message is that? They n one wowed them? They have a process adn they are working the process and refused to be rushed into a poor decision. There were questions about every candidate. Who says these other teams made good choices? Odds are that most will fail or be at best mediocre. 

Other people in the NFL undertstand it's a process. They are not going to put off because the team did thier due dilligence and were not rushed. When they do offer a job, they will be fully committed to that person. 

I do not see it as a bad message at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Why is Weaver not on any of these odds lists? Did he take a job elsewhere or something? 

The writing is on the wall that they want it to be Quinn at this point. 

Who knows if it will be. Even if we want it he has to say yes. 

1 minute ago, Kalu44 said:

Agreed, it's a crappy message. But nothing that a strong/winning season cannot fix.

A strong draft is equally as important.   

I just wonder if there is something behind the scenes with either KC or 49ers.   More likely SF.   Perhaps someone on the SF staff is interested but wants to keep things quiet as all his attention needs to be on the playoffs and now SB.  

Virtual interviews aren’t automatically reported right?   Isn’t it possible that they have talked to someone that hasn’t been reported?   

I know it’s just a random thought and probably wrong.  

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

And what message is that? They n one wowed them? They have a process adn they are working the process and refused to be rushed into a poor decision. There were questions about every candidate. Who says these other teams made good choices? Odds are that most will fail or be at best mediocre. 

Other people in the NFL undertstand it's a process. They are not going to put off because the team did thier due dilligence and were not rushed. When they do offer a job, they will be fully committed to that person. 

No one would probably buy it, but I'd state that they finished interviewing the people form the Owner/Search Committee list and now they're  moving on to me others on Peters' list. Act like it's just a continuation of the process.

• Like 2

A lot of myopia and deterministic thinking going on among the fanbase and I get it. Extremely difficult not to be impatient and hungry for positive developments after the horror show of an ownership we just endured.

And hopefully I'm wrong but I just think we need to collectively pull back a little and recognize that the path to future success probably extends beyond who the present HC hire will be in year one. We all want it now, and we did get a very promising, young GM. But getting out from under Snyder and the previous regime doesn't automatically reset the entire franchise. Snyder's insidious ways have set us up for failure beyond his tenure–he continues to haunt the organization, it will take some time. But I am still, until further notice, on board with Harris, that he will eventually right this ship. Just going to take longer than one offseason, perhaps longer than one coach's time here.

Tl;dr–resuscitating this franchise will happen only by distancing ourselves from Snyder, not through one coaching hire. We have larger problems than filling HC, which is why the hottest coaching candidates didn't take the offer in the first place. 

• Like 2

Just now, goskins10 said:

Harris and company should have started that process during the season. They’ve had plenty of time to research and meet the man. All these candidates may have faults but are great men. There was and is no rush. Every other team has hired their next coach. May not have been there number one choice. We have an important draft coming up that needs coaching input from position coaches and cordinators.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why is Weaver not on any of these odds lists? Did he take a job elsewhere or something? 

The writing is on the wall that they want it to be Quinn at this point. 

Who knows if it will be. Even if we want it he has to say yes. 

All I know is that I saw a report yesterday he was going to interview with Miami for their DC position. Not sure how that went or what his plans are now that Macdonald is off to Seattle. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Why is Peters laughing it up at the Senior Bowl while we are floundering to find a coach? Is he out of that decision? If so I am getting an uneasy feeling. 

They joked that he ran from Rapoport today when he asked where they were.